Please read our updated visitor policy. For information about COVID-19 including symptoms, prevention and travel advice, please read our patient guide. If you have developed a fever, cough, shortness of breath or other respiratory symptoms, please schedule a Video Visit to discuss symptoms with your provider.
You are here
Find a PhysicianBrowse Specialists
For the latest updates on COVID-19, please visit our patient guide. For more information on pediatric care & COVID-19, please read this FAQ article on our Patient Care Blog.
The Division of Medical Genetics provides inpatient and outpatient consultation, counseling and medical care for children and adolescents with both rare and common genetic conditions. The rapid expansion of medical genetic knowledge and the availability of new genetic technologies allow us to offer a personalized genetic approach for the health and well-being of our patients across their lifespan. We also provide expanded carrier screening for inherited disease risk, as well as consultation for abnormal pregnancy findings and adult onset conditions.
We use the latest genetic information technology to deliver expert clinical evaluation, risk assessment, counseling and testing for a variety of genetic conditions. Many complex genetic disorders require the combined expertise of subspecialists, and we work closely with other WCM physicians in specialties including cardiology, neurology and oncology to address your needs in a comprehensive manner. Recognizing that genetic conditions can affect multiple members of the family, we are also available to address each family member's needs.
Our expertise includes:
- Preconception counseling and expanded carrier screening
- Genetic disorder and birth defect prenatal detection
- Congenital and childhood onset diseases with a genetic basis
- Continuity of care for patients with medical genetic conditions
- Evaluation of patients with a personal or family history of genetic conditions
We also diagnose and develop treatment plans for a myriad of conditions, including:
- abnormal genetic test results
- autism spectrum disorders
- birth defects and birth defect syndromes
- cancer predisposition syndromes
- chromosomal abnormalities
- developmental delay or intellectual disability
- family history of genetic diseases
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)
What Sets Us Apart
- We have appointment availability for outpatient consultations every day.
- We are available within 24-48 hours for urgent consultation.
- Physicians from all pediatric subspecialties are available for consultation and referral within our department.
Services & Programs
Bloom syndrome is a rare genetic condition associated with growth concerns, skin abnormalities and an increased risk for cancer of many types. Our team provides diagnosis, consultation and treatment for patients with Bloom syndrome, and works closely with researchers around the world to evaluate diagnosis and treatment methods. Learn more about the registry.
Within the WCM Craniofacial Clinic, we collaborate with colleagues from ENT and other specialty departments to provide a multidisciplinary approach for children and young adults with abnormalities of the head and neck - especially those with craniosynostosis, cleft lip and cleft palate. Learn more about the program.
Diagnosis & Treatment
Our primary focus is the diagnosis and treatment of genetic or suspected genetic conditions. To accomplish this, we obtain detailed medical and family history, perform comprehensive physical examinations and employ the latest laboratory testing to diagnose patients in our clinic.