Medical genetic evaluations and personalized genetic testing are powerful tools as gene discovery and medical technologies continue to advance at an rapid pace. My goal is to offer my patients the best care, help families and physicians access the most state of the art testing, as well as provide guidance for treatment and preventative health using a multidisciplinary approach. Our geneticists and counselors provide expertise and support for individuals concerned about genetic screening/testing, prenatal counseling, or risk assessments due to family history or ethnic ancestry.
I have the privilege to provide comprehensive clinical genetic evaluations and lifelong care for children and adults at risk for genetic disorders. With my pediatrics background, I help families and referring physicians assess if differences that are noted prenatally, at birth, or during childhood may affect growth and development, as well as identify the causes which could lead to later problems with health, learning, and/or social interaction. All too often, patients are treated by multiple specialists without a clear explanation about the cause of their issues. As a parent, I want to help find answers for those undergoing a stressful diagnostic odyssey and obtain coordinated quality care to meet your child or family's unique needs.
Specialties and Expertise
- Pediatric Genetics
- Reproductive Genetics
- Clinical Molecular Genetics
- Genetic Testing
- Genetic Syndrome
- Chromosomal Abnormality
- Klinefelter Syndrome
- Congenital Anomaly
- Cleft Lip and Palate
- Craniofacial Disorders
- Cardiac Abnormality
- Developmental Delay In Child
- Velo-Cardio-Facial Syndrome With 22Q11.2 Deletion
- Marfan Syndrome
- Growth and Development
Lilian L. Cohen, M.D., M.P.H. is an Assistant Professor in Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and Assistant Attending Pediatrician in the Department of Pediatrics at NewYork-Presbyterian Phyllis and David Komansky Center for Children's Health/Weill Cornell Medical Center. She is board-certified in pediatrics and clinical genetics.
Dr. Cohen completed her undergraduate studies at Columbia College in New York. Dr. Cohen then attended medical training at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, where she earned her Medical Degree (M.D.) and a Master's in Public Health (M.P.H.). She completed residency in Pediatrics at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center and continued further training in Medical Genetics at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and The Children's Hospital at Montefiore.
Dr. Cohen cares for families who have or may have genetic concerns, prior to or during a pregnancy as well as after birth. Her clinical interests range from reproductive medicine to a wide range of genetic conditions requiring coordination of care at various ages such as cardiogenetic or neurodevelopmental disorders. As a Co-Director of the Weill Cornell Klinefelter Syndrome Care Center (https://urology.weillcornell.org/klinefelter-syndrome), Dr. Cohen works with a multidisciplinary team of specialists caring for children and young adults with X and Y chromosome variations. She also sees children with clefts and craniofacial disorders as part of the Weill Cornell Craniofacial Clinic (http://weillcornellbrainandspine.org/craniofacial).
Her research focuses on improving medicine utilizing genetic testing and genomic approaches. She is interested in how diagnosing conditions using molecular technology can help improve decision-making and treatment for families. Dr. Cohen is currently active in ongoing studies with newborn screening through research collaborations at Columbia University and the New York State Department of Health. She continues to work with several advocacy and international support groups involving research on rare conditions.
In addition to clinical work, Dr. Cohen is actively involved in the teaching of medical students, residents and fellows from different departments as well as graduate students in genetic counseling. She is an associate clinical program director for the joint medical genetics residency program at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and New York Presbyterian Hospital. Outside of work, Dr. Cohen enjoys spending time and traveling with her husband and four children.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- 2021 New York Super Doctors
- 2020 New York Top Doctors
- 2020 New York Super Doctors
- 2019 New York Super Doctors
- 2018 New York Super Doctors
- 2017 New York Super Doctors - Rising Star
- 2016 New York Super Doctors - Rising Star
- 2015 New York Super Doctors - Rising Star
- American Board of Medical Genetics (Clinical Genetics)
- American Board of Pediatrics
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.P.H., University of North Carolina, 2004
- M.D., University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 2004
- B.A., Columbia College-Columbia University, 1999
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare Compass
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical