Dr. Gulick is Rochelle Belfer Professor in Medicine and Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Weill Medical College of Cornell University, and Attending Physician at the New York Presbyterian Hospital in New York City.
Dr. Gulick currently conducts clinical research, sees patients with infectious diseases, and teaches medicine. He is board certified in internal medicine and infectious diseases.
Dr. Gulick's research interests include designing, conducting and analyzing clinical trials to test new agents and refine therapy strategies for HIV and COVID-19 treatment and prevention. He currently serves as Principal Investigator of the Weill Cornell -- New Jersey Medical School Clinical Trials Unit of the AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) and the HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN), sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.
Specialties and Expertise
- Infectious Disease
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Dr. Gulick received his undergraduate degree from Johns Hopkins University in 1982. In his early career, he worked as a biologist in the Medicinal Chemistry Laboratory at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. He went on to earn his MD degree at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1986 and his Master of Public Health degree at Harvard University in 1993, focusing on clinical trial design. After completing his internship and residency in internal medicine at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in 1989, Dr. Gulick held fellowships in infectious diseases at Beth Israel Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston from 1989-1991.
Dr. Gulick joined the faculty of the Harvard Medical School in 1991, serving as the Medical Director of the Virology Research Clinic and Instructor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. In 1994, he returned to New York City to join the faculty of New York University School of Medicine where he was Director of the HIV Research Clinic at Bellevue Hospital and an attending physician in the Division of Infectious Diseases.
Dr. Gulick joined the faculty of Weill Cornell Medical College as an Assistant Professor of Medicine in 1998. He became Director of the HIV Clinical Trials Unit in 1999, serving through 2008. He was promoted to Associate Professor of Medicine in 2001 and Professor of Medicine in 2007. In 2009, he became the Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases.
He currently serves as Co-Chair of the Panel on Clinical Practices for Treatment of HIV Infection of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and as Co-Chair of the NIH COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel. He is a member of the American Society of Clinical Investigation (ASCI), the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), the Infectious Diseases Society of New York (IDSNY), the International AIDS Society (IAS), and the Association of American Physicians (AAP) and has presented at national and international meetings and published widely.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha, National Medical Honor Society, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1986
Most Scientifically Innovative Presentation, Second International Workshop on Salvage Therapy for HIV Infection; Toronto, Canada, 1999
Companero (Friend) Award, Latino Commission on AIDS, New York, NY, for commitment to HIV/AIDS research, 2002.
Mid-Career Investigator Award in Patient-Oriented Research (K24), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, National Institutes of Health, 2003-2013.
Excellence in Teaching Award (Advanced Basic Science Course), Weill Cornell Medical College, 2005
Advisory Committee Service Award in Recognition of Distinguished Service, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 2005
Clinical Infectious Diseases Award for Outstanding Review, 2006
Elected to American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI), 2006
Research in Action Award, Treatment Action Group, 2009
Elected to Fellowship, Infectious Diseases Society of America, 2009
Lifetime Achievement Award for invaluable contributions in the field of HIV medicine, medical education, and research, HIV Congress, Mumbai, India, 2012
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Infectious Disease)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Rochelle Belfer Professor in Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- M.P.H., Harvard School of Public Health, 1993
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1986
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY