525 East 68th Street, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10065
156 William Street, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10038
240 East 59th Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10022
We help athletes of all levels — and all ages — achieve the health and well-being needed to pursue their goals.
If pain or an injury are keeping you from the activities you love, our sports and musculoskeletal specialists are here to provide non-surgical treatment options and a highly personalized and multifaceted plan.
Drawing on specialized training and passion for sports medicine, our doctors collaborate closely with you to deeply understand the cause of your pain or injury, guide your recovery and develop strategies to prevent future pain. We understand that whether you are an active person, a weekend warrior or a competitive athlete, an injury can significantly disrupt your active lifestyle.
Our top priority is helping you get back to the sports or activities that bring you joy — and enjoy an active life for years to come.
Why Choose Weill Cornell Medicine for Your Sports Injury Treatment?
Non-surgical, personalized treatment options: Our sports and musculoskeletal medicine team understands that many patients want to understand their non-surgical treatment options. Our team focuses on non-surgical treatment and therapies to help their patients achieve the best possible health and well-being, using the newest and best evidence-based options.
Your doctor will focus on understanding your specific pain or injury, as well as your lifelong goals. Using this information, you and your doctor will discuss different treatment options and develop a comprehensive, personalized plan.
Multidisciplinary care from leading experts: Each member of our team is highly trained in sports and musculoskeletal medicine. In addition, our doctors collaborate closely with other specialists, including physical therapists, orthopedists, neurosurgeons and other medical professionals, as needed.
Weill Cornell Medicine partners with NewYork-Presbyterian, one of the top hospital systems in New York City and the U.S.
Passion for helping athletes: We are dedicated to helping all athletes pursue their goals and enjoy their sport as much as possible. Our team works closely with elite athletes, including U.S. Soccer athletes, USA Gymnastics athletes and Alvin Ailey Dance Academy dancers.
Conditions We Treat
Our team helps adult, adolescent and pediatric (children) patients with sports-related pain or injuries, including:
● Knee conditions: ACL or other ligament injury, arthritis, patellofemoral syndrome, knee cartilage lesions, meniscus tears, patella tendonitis or quadricep tendonitis
● Shoulder conditions: Joint injuries, biceps tendonitis, rotator cuff tendonitis, rotator cuff tears, frozen shoulder, arthritis or labral tears
● Hip, groin or buttock conditions: Arthritis, hip impingement, IT band or hip flexor strain, greater trochanteric pain syndrome and bursitis, sacroiliac joint pain, athletic pubalgia/sports hernia or core muscle injury
● Leg, foot or ankle conditions: Achilles tendinopathy or tendonitis, ankle sprain, exertional compartment syndrome, plantar fasciitis, stress fractures, shin splints, arthritis, sesamoiditis
● Hand and wrist conditions: Carpal tunnel, DeQuervain’s tenosynovitis, trigger fingers, wrist sprains, TFCC injury, fractures, ganglion cysts, arthritis
● Elbow conditions: Bicep or tricep tendon injuries, olecranon bursitis, tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow, arthritis
● Neck or spine conditions: Myofascial pain, disc herniation, lumbar strain
● Women’s sports health conditions: Female athlete triad, pregnancy-induced low back pain, women’s sports care
● Injury prevention
Our compassionate doctors begin caring for you by first taking the time to understand the specifics of your condition, pain or injury. This may include:
● Biomechanical assessment: To analyze and understand how your muscles and joints are working, if they are functioning proficiently and if they are aligned properly.
● Diagnostic ultrasound: To further evaluate soft tissue in real-time in the exam room to see any muscle tears, inflammation, excess fluid or other indications of a condition. All of our sports medicine experts are trained at ultrasound-guided diagnostic evaluations to help determine the cause or source of pain, when needed.
Non-Surgical Treatment Options
At Weill Cornell Medicine, our team offers the most advanced and comprehensive non-surgical sports and musculoskeletal medicine treatment options available. Our team of doctors is committed to discussing all of your options with you so that you feel confident and empowered in your decision making about your care.
Treatment options may include:
● Ultrasound-guided injections: This minimally invasive procedure uses ultrasound technology to help precisely target and inject medication directly to the site of an injury or pain. This helps improve the efficacy of the medication.
● Preventive care: In addition to these treatment options, our doctors will also work closely with you to prevent future injuries and pain. This may include recommendations for strengthening or stabilizing exercises, as well as ergonomic changes to promote better alignment or posture. We collaborate with NewYork-Presbyterian physical therapists to provide comprehensive care to support and enhance your active lifestyle.
● Patient education: We specialize in educating patients regarding activities and lifestyles that best promote preventing pain and preserving joint and tendon health.
Pediatric Sports Medicine
The Weill Cornell Medicine pediatric sports medicine doctors specialize in treating injuries in children, teenagers and young adults. In addition, our sports medicine doctors screen young athletes to participate safely in sports.
We recognize the importance of physical activity to a child’s physical and mental health — and we work closely with our patients to diagnose and treat their conditions, with the goal of returning to activity safely and as soon as possible. We help children and adolescents enjoy a lifetime of physical activity.
Our pediatric team works with kids of all ages, from young children to young adults. Our providers have also worked with a variety of athletes and performers, including Olympic sport teams, performing artists such as dancers and musicians, Division I college teams and local elementary, middle and high school athletes.
Orthopedic Surgery for Sports Injuries
Our rehabilitation Medicine team partners with HSS at NYP Weill Cornell Medicine to offer Orthopedic Surgery for chronic and acute sports injuries. Learn more about Orthopedic care at Weill Cornell Medicine.
Make an Appointment
Whether you visit us virtually through a video visit or you see us in person, you can be assured that we will deliver the highest standards of care with compassion.
For any acute sports injuries that may need more urgent evaluation, please call our office at (212) 746-1500. We have dedicated appointments available for urgent consultation. We also offer evening appointments.
Meet Our Physicians
The physicians at the Weill Cornell Department of Rehabilitation Medicine offer patients the highest level of safety and care. As a top-ranked academic medical center, you have access to our extensive network of specialists who provide seamless care throughout your treatment — to promote lifelong physical and mental health.