You are here
New York, NY 10065
New York, NY 10038
Every patient is unique in his or her own way and should be treated as a whole. I aim to understand my patients’ challenges from their perspective to achieve the best medical outcomes and help them return to doing what they love.
Specialties & Expertise
- Pediatric Sports Medicine
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
Clinical & Academic Positions
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation and Regenerative Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Assistant Attending Physiatrist
Assistant Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, 2012
- B.S., Yale University, 2008
Dr. Katherine Yao is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical Center where she treats a wide range of sports injuries and musculoskeletal disorders in children, adolescents, and adults. She is trained in modern non-operative diagnostics and therapies including ultrasound guided injections, ultrasound guided tenotomies, platelet-rich-plasma (PRP) injections, prolotherapy, and other state of the art regenerative medicine interventions.
Dr. Yao received her undergraduate degree from Yale University, and then earned her medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine. She completed her residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the NewYork-Presbyterian/ Columbia/Cornell program, and her Sports Medicine fellowship at Harvard University’s Boston Children’s Hospital.
At Boston Children’s Hospital, Dr. Yao worked closely with dancers and musicians at the Boston Ballet, Boston Conservatory, Boston Arts Academy, and the Berklee College of Music. She served as the team physician for Northeastern University’s Division I Women’s Hockey team and Middlesex High School’s football team.
Dr. Yao competed as a gymnast at the junior Olympic level and earned several Academic All-American titles on Yale University’s NCAA Division I team. Her experience as an elite student athlete complement her medical training to help her compassionately guide young athletes in managing unique lifestyle demands and challenges.
Dr. Yao’s research focuses on the effects of sports on young athletes. She has written several book chapters and peer-reviewed journal articles about sports injuries, regenerative medicine and sports competition rules. With her personal background in competitive sports and injury recovery, Dr. Yao truly understands the obstacles that athletes of all ages face and the challenges of recovery. She believes that patients should be treated holistically and works as a team with her patients to help them return to the activities they love.