Please read our updated visitor policy. For information about COVID-19 including symptoms, prevention and travel advice, please read our patient guide. If you have developed a fever, cough, shortness of breath or other respiratory symptoms, please schedule a Video Visit to discuss symptoms with your provider.
You are here
Find a PhysicianBrowse Specialists
Weill Cornell Emergency Medicine provides state-of-the-art emergency care to adults and children every hour of every day, helping more than 140,000 patients annually.
Our team of board-certified doctors and specialists are well equipped to treat any illness or injury, ranging from minor to complex. We receive, evaluate, and stabilize patients who are transferred to us from all over the world.
“The Weill Cornell Medicine Emergency Department provides the most advanced care, 24 hours per day. A multidisciplinary team of Emergency Medicine experts treats adults and children at our state-of-the-art facilities. Here, you’ll receive great care.”
— Rahul Sharma, M.D., Emergency Physician-in-Chief
Leaders in Comprehensive and Specialized Care
Weill Cornell Medicine physicians have consistently been leaders in patient care, in primary care, as well as in many specialty areas as diverse as in-vitro fertilization, neurology, oncology, and HIV/AIDS care.
- A Designated 911 Receiving Hospital: Our Emergency Department maintains one of the most extensive hospital-based ambulance services in the northeast. NYP EMS is completely integrated with our emergency department and hospital care.
- Level I Trauma Center: Our Emergency Department is recognized by the American College of Surgeons to be able to provide total care for all aspects of any injury. This is the highest designation possible for an Emergency Department.
- Psychiatric Emergency Receiving (9.39) Center: Our physicians are specially trained to provide the highest level of care for mental illnesses that require immediate observation and care.
- Burn Center for the City of New York: We are the largest Burn Center in the country, treating children and adults with comprehensive, expert care.
- Chest Pain Center: Patients who arrive at the Emergency Department with chest pain or sudden heart emergencies are seen by our team of heart specialists at the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory.
- Designated Stroke Center: The New York State Department of Health has designated our Emergency Department to be a Stroke Center because of our full team of stroke specialists on call 24 hours per day for stroke emergencies.
- Convenient Care for Non-Threatening Concerns: Our Telehealth Express Care and NYP OnDemand services provide patients with virtual visits with qualified nurses and physicians for care of minor health concerns.
- Network of Experts: In addition to its specialized focus, the Emergency Medicine Department of Weill Cornell Medicine is proud to partner with NewYork-Presbyterian, the #1 hospital in New York for 16 years running.
What Our Patients Are Saying
Talking about Anne Yim, M.D.
"No one wants to be in the ER, but when you need immediate care I hope you have a physician like Dr. Anne Yim at NY Presbyterian Downtown. She is professional and thorough but has time to be pleasant and reassuring. Everything was explained and options were offered, I felt I was making decisions on my healthcare with her expertise as a guide. Excellent medical assistance. Thank you Dr. Yim."
Mar 10, 2018
Talking about Jose Luis Fernandez, M.D.
"Dr Fernandez is the most wonderful caring physician i have ever met. both his bedside manner and his personal grooming are impeccable."
Nov 22, 2017
Talking about Peter Steel, M.D.
"Dr. Stell was professional, knowledgeable, and most importantly in an emergency room setting, he was kind and reassuring. He kept me calm, explained everything in detail and made sure I understood what was going on."
Aug 02, 2017
*Individual results may vary