Specialties and Expertise
- General Neurology
- Clinical Neurology
- Cerebral Vascular Disease
Matthew E. Fink, MD is currently the Louis and Gertrude Feil Professor and Chairman of the Department of Neurology at Weill Cornell Medical College, and Neurologist-in-Chief at New York Presbyterian Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical Center. In addition, he is Chief of the Division of Stroke and Critical Care Neurology at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, and Vice Chairman of the Medical Board.
Dr. Fink attended college at the University of Pennsylvania, medical school at the University of Pittsburgh, and served as resident and chief resident in internal medicine at the Boston City Hospital. He came to New York and trained in neurology at the Neurological Institute of New York/Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, and served as chief resident under Dr. Lewis P. Rowland. Subsequently, he joined the faculty of Columbia University and became the founding director of the Neurology-Neurosurgery Intensive Care Unit at New York Presbyterian Hospital and was appointed Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery while at Columbia.
Prior to joining the faculty of Cornell, Dr. Fink served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Beth Israel Medical Center in New York, as well as Chairman of the Barbara and Alan Mirken Department of Neurology, Director of the Comprehensive Stroke Center, and Co-Director of the Hyman-Newman Institute for Neurology and Neurosurgery. He was Professor of Clinical Neurology and Clinical Medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University.
Dr. Fink was a founding member and chairman of the Critical Care Section of the American Academy of Neurology, and the Research Section for Neurocritical Care of the World Federation of Neurology. He is board-certified in internal medicine, neurology, critical care medicine, vascular neurology, and neurocritical care. He has been elected as a Fellow of the American Neurological Association, the American Academy of Neurology, and the Stroke Council of the American Heart Association.
Throughout his career, Dr. Fink has been involved in the education and training of students, residents and fellows in the field of stroke and critical care neurology, as well as an active participant in clinical research within this field. He is a leader in this new specialty, has lectured widely, and has published many research and clinical articles in the field of stroke and critical care. In addition, he currently serves as editor of the monthly publication, NEUROLOGY ALERT, and is a Past-President of the New York State Neurological Society.
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Critical Care Medicine)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Neurology)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Vascular Neurology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Neurologist-in-Chief - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Chairman of Neurology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Louis and Gertrude Feil Professor in Clinical Neurology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Professor of Clinical Neurology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 1976
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.