Stephanie L. Mick, M.D.
I chose cardiac surgery one fateful day of my general surgery training at Weill Cornell when exposure of the heart was required in a lung operation. When I saw that beating heart, I had an overwhelming sense of seeing a beloved friend. My decision to become a heart surgeon that day began a journey through other world class institutions where I gained experience and expertise, especially in minimally invasive and robotic heart surgery. To my great happiness, the journey led back to where it all started, Weill Cornell, where we deliver top notch care to patients. I truly enjoy taking care of my patients and could only be at a place that shares my value of top quality care of patients as the most important thing in medicine.
I am excited to be back at Weill Cornell Medicine where I first started my career path. From a technical standpoint my top priority is to provide safe and effective surgical treatments to my patients in the least invasive way possible. From the human perspective, I take a personal approach to patient care and consider it my privilege to shepherd people through the major life event of undergoing cardiac surgery.
Specialties and Expertise
- Adult Cardiac Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Mitral Valve Disease
- MVR (Mitral Valve Replacement)
- Cardiac Tumor
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft)
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Surgery
- MVR (Mitral Valve Repair)
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Percutaneous Mitral Valve Repair With Implant
- Open Heart Surgery
- Repair, Mitral Valve, Robot-Assisted, Minimally Invasive
- Repair, Mitral Valve, Robot-Assisted
- Robot-Assisted Excision of Atrial Myxoma
- Robot-Assisted Repair of Atrial Septal Defect
- Mitral Valvuloplasty
- Repair, Mitral Valve, Minimally Invasive
- Mitral Valve Repair (Complex)
- Repair, Tricuspid Valve, Minimally Invasive
- Repair, Tricuspid Valve
- Repair, Tricuspid Valve, Open
- Annuloplasty, Tricuspid Valve
- Myxoma of Heart
- Excision, Myxoma
- Excision, Myxoma, Cardiac Atrium, Minimally Invasive
Stephanie Mick, MD, is the Carrie and David Landew Associate Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Weill Cornell Medicine and Associate Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon at NewYork-Presbyterian | Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Mick graduated Summa Cum Laude from Columbia University with a degree in Philosophy. She completed medical school at Weill Cornell Medical College where she was awarded the Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Award, given to the female medical student with the best graduating academic record. She completed an internship and residency in general surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian | Weill Cornell Medical Center, during which she won the Chief Residents’ Award for Clinical Excellence. She then completed a three-year research post-doctoral fellowship with an interest in vascular biology at New York University School of Medicine.
Dr. Mick returned to NewYork-Presbyterian | Weill Cornell Medical Center to complete her chief residency in general surgery. She completed her subspecialty training in cardiothoracic surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital where she specialized in adult cardiac surgery. She joined the Cleveland Clinic staff in 2011 and there gained nationwide repute and the highest level of expertise as a cardiac surgeon, performing many types of complex cardiac surgery especially robotic cardiac surgery. Additionally, she acted as the surgical director of the transcatheter aortic valve replacement program during this time. She returned to New York in 2019 to assume her present position at Weill Cornell Medicine and NewYork-Presbyterian | Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Mick is passionate about patient care and minimally invasive approaches to heart disease. She has authored many articles published in leading medical journals and presented her work at regional, national and international surgical meetings. Dr. Mick is a Fellow both of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery and the American Association of Cardiology and is a member of the American Heart Association, American Medical Association, Women in Thoracic Surgery and Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
In her leisure time, Dr. Mick enjoys skiing, travel and music.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Carrie and David Landew Associate Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 2001
- B.A., Columbia College-Columbia University, 1994
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.