You are here
After having earned my Ph.D. in Neuroscience, I became fascinated by the intricacies and processes of the central nervous system, and the role a neurosurgeon plays in tracing them. I realized that neurosurgeons are responsible for far more than surgical intervention. We play a critical role in getting our patients back to living normal lives, with healthy brain function. That's why I went on to earn an M.D. degree as well.
I consider it an honor to treat patients with brain tumors and cerebrovascular disorders. The challenges are immense, but I get the daily satisfaction of helping patients get back to the families, and their lives.
Specialties & Expertise
- Vascular Neurosurgery
- Neurological Surgery
- Cerebral Vascular Disease
- Brain Tumor
- Cerebral Aneurysm
- Acoustic Neuroma
- Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
- Carotid Artery Disease
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Cavernous Malformation
- Hemifacial Spasm
- Orbital Tumor
- Microvascular Surgery
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Vascular Malformation
- Moyamoya Syndrome
- Chordoma Tumor
- Skull Base Surgery
- Glioblastoma Multiforme
- Trigeminal Neuralgia Surgery
- Arnold-Chiari Malformation
- Brain Stem Glioma
- Movement Disorder
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- Surgery, Neurological
Clinical & Academic Positions
Chairman of Neurological Surgery
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Professor of Neurological Surgery
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Medical College of Wisconsin, 1983
- Ph.D., Albany Medical College of Union University, 1980
Honors & Awards
- 1991 Listed in West's Who's Who in Health and Medical Services
- 1994 "The Best Doctors in America"
- 1996 "The Best Doctors in America"-Northeast Region
- 1997 "The Top Doctors"-Boston Magazine
- 1999 Time, Feeling and Focus Award- American Heart Association
- 2000 Frontiers in Cancer Management-"Nemrock", Cairo, Egypt
- 2001-2015 America's Top Doctors-Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.
- 2001 "The Best Doctors in New York"- New York Magazine
- 2001 "Hollin Lecture"-Mount Sinai Medical Center
- 2002 "2000 Outstanding Scholars of the 21st Century" International Biographical Center.
Philip Stieg, PhD, MD is the Professor and Chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and Neurosurgeon-in-Chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
He received his B.S. degree in 1974 from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, his Ph.D. in Anatomy and Neuroscience from Albany Medical College of Union University in 1980, and his M.D. from the Medical College of Wisconsin in 1983. He completed his internship and residency at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and a fellowship in cell transplantation for restorative neurological function at Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden.
DR. STIEG SEES PATIENTS AT THE FOLLOWING CLINICAL LOCATION:
520 East 70th Street (east of York Avenue)
Starr Pavilion, Room 651
New York, NY 10065
Dr. Stieg has developed an international reputation in the area of cerebrovascular disorders and skull base surgery. He has been active in many international courses and been broadly published. He has contributed to groups such as the Joint Sections of Cerebrovascular Surgery of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and Congress of Neurological Surgeons (AANS/CNS) where he now assists in the capacity of past chairman. In addition, he is the past President of the Society of University Neurosurgeons. Dr. Stieg is the recipient of multiple awards and honors, including the 2018 Ellis Island Medal of Honor, the American Heart Association/Stroke Association's 2018 National Stroke Hero, and has earned citations in "Who's Who in Health and Medical Services" and "The Best Doctors in America."
Before joining the Weill Cornell Physician Organization, Dr. Stieg was the Associate Chief in Neurosurgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School.
For more information about the Weill Cornell Brain and Spine Center, including the conditions we treat and the advanced procedures we perform, visit weillcornellbrainandspine.org.
New Patients: Find out what you need to know before your appointment, including the forms you'll need to fill out, here:
Preparing for Your Appointment