Specialties and Expertise
- Internal Medicine
- Weight Loss
- Weight Control
Louis J. Aronne, MD, FACP is a leading authority on obesity and its treatment. He is the Sanford I. Weill Professor of Metabolic Research at Weill-Cornell Medical College and directs the Center for Weight Management and Metabolic Clinical Research, a state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary obesity research and treatment program. He has an adjunct appointment at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Dr. Aronne is Founder and CEO of BMIQ, a weight control program that is delivered by health care providers to their patients during office visits. Dr. Aronne graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Trinity College with a BS in biochemistry and from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed his internship and residency at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and the Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, followed by a Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation Fellowship at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. He is a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. Dr. Aronne is former president of the Obesity Society and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians. Vice-chairman of the board of the American Board of Obesity Medicine, he has authored more than 60 papers and book chapters on obesity and edited the National Institutes of Health Practical Guide to the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. He served as a consultant to the VA Weight Management/Physical Activity Executive Council in the development of the MOVE program, the nation’s largest medically based weight control program. Dr. Aronne has won several awards for medical teaching, including the Davidoff Prize from Albert Einstein College of Medicine and the Elliot Hochstein Award from Cornell University.
- Internal Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Sanford I. Weill Professor of Metabolic Research - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Adjunct Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine - Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1981
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark