Specialties and Expertise
- Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- Breast Cancer
"I am a medical oncologist with an expertise in breast cancer medicine. My focus is the multidisciplinary care and treatment of patients, especially those who have tumors that are high risk. Because I am a passionate advocate of personalized medicine, my goal is to develop new successful treatments that exploit our knowledge of the cancer genome and the immuno cell network for immunotherapy, in order to improve the outcomes of breast cancer patients. To do this, I actively participate in team science and recognize the importance of establishing strong connections with other disciplines involved in the care of patients and who are in the laboratory, as our goals are the same- to cure breast cancer. I view my patients as individuals and welcome open and inclusive communication when discussing treatment strategies as it is paramount they feel comfortable with an established treatment pathway."
Dr. Eleni Andreopoulou joined Weill Cornell Medical Center as an Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine specializing in the care and treatment of patients with breast cancer in January 2015. Prior to this appointment she held faculty positions at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine/ Montefiore Medical Center and the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.
Dr. Andreopoulou completed her training in major academic institutions in both Europe and the U.S. After she completed her residency in Internal Medicine at St Bartholomew`s Hospital in London she was awarded a European Society of Medical Oncology fellowship and trained in Medical Oncology at the Royal Marsden Hospital/Institute of Cancer Research in London, UK. She received laboratory training in the signal transduction and molecular pharmacology laboratory studying correlations between drug sensitivity and constitutive gene expression gaining a unique learning experience in a model hybrid clinical/laboratory facility. Subsequently, she completed her fellowship in Hematology and Medical Oncology at the New York University School of Medicine. In addition to intensive and comprehensive clinical training this experience was key to her understanding of the complexities in preclinical and clinical evaluation of anticancer drugs and established a strong foundation in her career. In addition to her active clinical practice her strength to the Weill Cornell Medical Center team is her demonstrated passion for biomarker-driven clinical trials, pharmacogenomic predictors of chemoresistance, chemosensitivity, and endocrine sensitivity for early and advanced stage breast cancer. Most importantly, she conceptualized and established a prospective bio-repository in breast cancer providing a crucial foundation for precision medicine research. She assembled this multidisciplinary team effort at Einstein/Montefiore and in collaboration with scientists used the bio specimens to probe one of the most perplexing challenges in modern clinical oncology – the issue of drug resistance and its relationship to chemotherapy-mediated dormancy.
At Weill Cornell Medical Center, Dr. Andreopoulou continues to actively facilitate the interface between basic and applied research, and has a special interest in individualized patient treatment. Her main research interest is biomarker-based patient selection in early phase development to fast track drug development of biologics and targeted therapy to effectively treat breast cancer while sparing patients from unnecessary toxicity. Her focus is next generation -oncology trials and incorporating technology in drug development. Her goal, in collaboration with scientists, is to explore the relationship between cancer treatment, neoplastic cells and the immune system in order to improve understanding of the determinants of response to therapy. This has the potential to contribute critical information for future testing of combinations of immunotherapy and chemotherapy in breast cancer treatment.
She is an active investigator of several clinical trials of novel therapeutic approaches in advanced disease including her leadership role as a principal investigator in development of agents sponsored by the Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program at the National Cancer Institute.
Dr. Andreopoulou has published over 40 peer review articles, reviews, editorials and book chapters and has been an invited speaker at international and national conferences. She is a member of several scientific organizations including the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the American Association of Cancer Research and the Royal Society of Medicine. She has also been active with Breast Cancer awareness programs covering screening and prevention with a particular focus on underserved minorities. She is also an active member of the American Women`s Medical Association.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- Madeline and Stephen Anbinder Clinical Scholar in Oncology 2015
- Leadership100 Endowment Fund Inc., Archbishop Iakovos Award for Excellence in Medicine 2015
- Paul Calabresi (K12) Scholar/Einstein/Montefiore 2010
- European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) Fellowship Award, Institute of Cancer Research/Royal Marsden Hospital (2001-2003)
- Degree of Science, Thesis University of Ioannina School of Medicine, Greece (2000)
- Fellowship Award, European School of Oncology (ESO) 1998
- Scientific Assistant, European School of Oncology (ESO), Office for the Balkans and Middle East 1996-1999
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Madeline and Stephen Anbinder Clinical Scholar in Hematology/Oncology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Ioannina Medical School (Greece), 1994
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY