Specialties and Expertise
- General Dermatology
- Cosmetic Dermatology
- Disease of the Skin/Hair/Nails
- Acne Scarring
- Traction Alopecia
- Pseudofolliculitis Barbae
- Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra
- Acne Keloidalis Nuchae
- Abnormal Pigmentation of Skin
- Botox and Fillers
- Laser Hair Removal
- Chemical Peel
Andrew F. Alexis, MD, MPH is the Vice-Chair for Diversity and Inclusion for the Department of Dermatology and dermatologist at the Center for Diverse Skin Complexions at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York City. He is the former Chair of the Department of Dermatology at Mount Sinai Morningside and Mount Sinai West. Having served as Director of the first-of-its-kind Skin of Color Center for over 15 years, his work has helped to advance patient care, research, and education pertaining to dermatologic disorders that are prevalent in populations with skin of color.
Dr. Alexis received his medical degree from Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons and his Master of Public Health at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. He completed his dermatology residency at Weill Cornell Medicine, followed by a fellowship in dermatopharmacology at NYU Langone’s Ronald O. Perelman Department of Dermatology.
Dr. Alexis has published more than 90 articles in peer-reviewed journals including the British Journal of Dermatology, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, and JAMA Dermatology among others. He has co-edited two textbooks and authored over 10 book chapters. Dr. Alexis is a frequent lecturer at national and international conferences and has been invited as a Visiting Professor or Grand Rounds speaker at many prestigious academic institutions.
Dr. Alexis has held numerous leadership positions in professional organizations including Past President of the New York Dermatological Society, Past President of the New York Academy of Medicine Dermatology Section, Secretary/Treasurer of the Skin of Color Society and Chair of the Diversity Task Force Committee for the American Academy of Dermatology. He currently serves as Co-Chair of the Scientific Committee of the Skin of Color Society, and is a member of the Board of Directors of the American Dermatological Association and the Cicatricial Alopecia Research Foundation.
Dr. Alexis has appeared on ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX television news programs and has been quoted in numerous leading publications, including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Vogue, Allure, and Essence. He is listed in Castle Connolly’s Top Doctors ™ and Super Doctors®
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Dr. Alexis is listed in Castle Connolly’s Top Doctors ™ and Super Doctors®.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Dermatologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Dermatology (Interim) - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.P.H., Columbia University, 1999
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1999
- B.Sc., McGill University (Canada), 1995
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- GHI - CBP
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY