Tessa Cigler, M.D., M.P.H.
Specialties and Expertise
- Medical Oncology
- Breast Oncology
- Breast Cancer
Dr. Cigler is a medical oncologist whose work is dedicated to the treatment and prevention of breast cancer. She practices at the Weill Cornell Breast Center where comprehensive state-of-the-art care is provided in a personalized and warm environment. As a believer in the benefits of a multidisciplinary approach to breast cancer care, Dr. Cigler meets weekly with breast surgeons, radiation oncologists, pathologists, genetic counselors and other medical oncologists to ensure that her patients receive well-coordinated and optimal care.
Dr. Cigler pays careful attention to the short and long term effects of diagnosis and treatment on physical and emotional well being. She provides personalized and comprehensive care, addressing issues such as diet, exercise, fatigue, anxiety, bone health, and hormone mediated symptoms. For younger patients, options for fertility preservation are carefully considered as the treatment plan is formulated. Women are supported both during treatment and beyond, when attention shifts to issues of breast cancer survivorship. Dr. Cigler treats all stages of breast cancer and also counsels high risk women on options for breast cancer prevention.
Dr. Cigler is an active clinical investigator. As a member of the Weill Cornell Breast Center research team, she heads several clinical trials designed to provide her patients with access to the newest and most promising options for therapy. Her collaborative research focuses on ways to gain a better understanding of breast cancer pathogenesis and side effects of therapy, with the overall goal of improving breast cancer treatment and prevention.
Dr. Cigler teaches second year medical students at the Weill Cornell medical college and mentors medical students and fellows on the wards. She is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology and the New York Metropolitan Breast Cancer Group. She is the author of several journal articles and book chapters.
Dr. Cigler received her undergraduate degree from Harvard College, and her medical degree from Duke University School of Medicine. She also holds a Master's degree in Public Health from the Harvard School of Public Health. She completed her residency in Internal Medicine at New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical Center, followed by a fellowship in Medical Oncology and Hematology at the Dana-Farber Harvard Cancer Center. Dr Cigler joined the Cornell faculty in August 2007 as a medical oncologist and clinical investigator at the Weill Cornell Breast Center.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Research Scholarship (1994)
Harvard University Derek Bok Certificate of Distinction in Teaching (1995)
John Harvard Scholarship for Academic Achievement (1995)
Elizabeth Carey Agassiz Merit Award for Academic Excellence (1996)
Magna cum laude Biochemical Sciences, Harvard College, Cambridge, MA (1996)
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Fellowship (1999-2000)
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.P.H., Harvard School of Public Health, 2007
- M.D., Duke University School of Medicine, 2001
- A.B., Harvard University, 1996
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans