Peripheral Nerve Surgery
525 East 68th Street, Starr 8
New York, NY 10065
425 East 61st Street, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10065
506 Sixth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
515 6th Street
Brooklyn, New York 11215
At Weill Cornell Medicine, we are passionate about helping patients feel their best. Starting with the initial consultation, our plastic and reconstructive surgeons work with you to understand your goals and discuss the best options for you and your needs.
Our team of plastic surgeons specializes in the research, diagnosis, and treatment of a variety of peripheral nerve problems. We provide cutting-edge surgical treatment for pain caused by injury and/or compression of nerves.
The peripheral nervous system consists of all the nerves that are outside of the brain and the spinal cord: the nerves in your arms and legs, in your face/ head, and in your chest and abdomen. Whether caused by injury, surgery, or conditions such as diabetic neuropathy, damage to the peripheral nerves can lead to chronic pain and motor deficits that are difficult to diagnose and find solutions to treat. Some of the peripheral nerve disorders our team treats include: headache/ migraine, orofacial pain, treatment of painful neuroma, sensory loss after cancer or transgender mastectomy, thoracic outlet syndrome, treatment of chronic pain after amputation (TMR and RPNI), corneal keratopathy (no sensation of the cornea leading to ulcerations), joint pain, paralysis, spasticity after stroke and spinal cord injury, brachial plexus injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, facial paralysis, nerve compression injuries of the leg and arm, nerve reconstruction, nerve-related pain (numbness, tingling, shooting pain), peroneal neuropathy, and tarsal tunnel syndrome, diabetic neuropathy, polyneuropathy.
Why Choose Weill Cornell Medicine for Your Peripheral Nerve Surgery?
Exemplary surgeons: Our surgeons are leaders in plastic and reconstructive surgery, and our care team is equipped to promote comfort throughout the process. Weill Cornell Medicine partners with NewYork-Presbyterian, one of the top hospital systems in New York City and the U.S.
Multidisciplinary team approach: We offer a team approach to care. A patient’s care team includes medical professionals in plastic surgery, neurosurgery, neurology, internal medicine, pain management, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and rehabilitation, as needed.
Focus on your comfort: Our team prioritizes your comfort at every step in the process. Before your surgery, you will have time to ask your doctor questions so that you feel comfortable with the procedure. In state-of-the-art surgical suites, our surgeons use the latest anesthetics and medications that help you recover more quickly and heal faster. After the surgery, our care team will manage your pain with medication and teach you how to care for yourself as you heal and recover.
Peripheral Nerve Surgery Options
Our team of surgeons offers the most advanced treatment options for peripheral nerve conditions, including:
· Headache/ Migraine Surgery
· Advanced minimally invasive nerve decompression surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome
· Minimally invasive nerve release surgery in the leg and foot for patients with diabetes and other conditions
· Innovative microsurgical techniques to improve painful conditions involving the wrist, elbow, shoulder, chest, knee, and ankle, as well as to address pain after pelvic and inguinal hernia procedures
· Groundbreaking nerve reconstruction, such as nerve transfers and grafts to achieve better functional recovery over a shorter period of time
· Surgery to move or disconnect sensory nerves that cause pain after amputation, mastectomy, and any other surgical procedures
· Surgery to reconstruct nerves that have been severed as a result of trauma, tumor removal, or birth-related brachial palsy
· Breast reinnervation
· Nerve transfers after the loss of motor function of the upper and lower extremity
· Nerve decompression and reconstruction for orofacial pain
· Corneal reinnervation for neurotrophic corneal keratopathy
· Nerve transfer and functional muscle transfer for facial paralysis
Make an Appointment
You deserve the highest level of care and safety for your surgery. Our expanded Digital Health Services and commitment to cleanliness help ensure that you can continue your care to achieve optimum health.
Whether you visit us virtually through a video visit or you see us in person, you can be assured that we will deliver the highest standards of care with compassion. Our team has taken every step to keep our facilities safe for you to continue your care. Learn more about our safety measures and the changes we’ve made to enhance your patient experience.
To request an appointment, please fill out our form. Our staff will help you find the physician who best fits your individual medical needs.
Meet Our Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
The plastic and reconstructive surgeons at the Weill Cornell Medicine offer patients the highest level of safety and care. As a top-ranked academic medical center, you have access to our extensive network of specialists who provide seamless care throughout your treatment — to promote integrated physical and mental health.