You are here
Specialties & Expertise
- Pain Medicine
- Sports Medicine
- Nerve Pain Due to Spinal Stenosis
- Stenosis of Lumbosacral Spine
- Spinal Stenosis, Thoracic
- Spinal Stenosis of Thoracic Region
- Spinal Stenosis of Lumbar Region
- Spinal Stenosis Surgery
- Degenerative Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
- Neck and Back Pain
- Chronic Pain
- Joint Pain
- Cancer Pain Management
- Neuropathic Pain
- Spinal Cord Stimulator Implants
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans
- Pain Medicine
Clinical & Academic Positions
Assistant Attending Anesthesiologist
Assistant Professor of Clinical Anesthesiology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Tufts University School of Medicine, 2005
Honors & Awards
2015 Dr. Mehta Super Doctors New York 'Rising Stars'-- an honor roll of the top New York doctors in more than 30 specialties who have been fully licensed for 10 years or less.
2015 Dean's Healthcare Leadership Fellow
2012 1st prize, Weill Cornell Anesthesiology Research Award
2011 Teacher of the Year, Tri-Institutional Pain Fellowship
2010 Teacher of the Year, Tri-Institutional Pain Fellowship
Dr. Neel Mehta is both board-certified in Anesthesia, and fellowship trained, board- certified in Interventional Pain Medicine.
He holds several positions including:
- Medical Director of Pain Medicine at the Weill-Cornell Pain Medicine Center, and New York Presbyterian Hospital, overseeing outpatient and inpatient services together with a large team of dedicated Pain and Regional Anesthesia Physicians.
- Co-Director, Weill Cornell Multi-Disciplinary Spine Center
- Associate Program Director of the Tri-Institutional Interventional Pain Medicine Fellowship
- Dean's Healthcare Leadership Fellow
- Quality Assurance Officer for Pain Medicine
- Weill Cornell Physician Organization Operations and Planning Committee Member
- Weill Cornell Medical School, Course Director in Pain Medicine
Dr. Mehta was recently selected by his peers as one of Super Doctors New York 'Rising Stars'-- an honor roll of the top New York doctors in more than 30 specialties who have been fully licensed for 10 years or less.
Pain is one of the most common reasons people consult a physician, yet it is often inadequately treated. Dr. Mehta's goals are to optimize pain control, enhance functional ability as well as physical and psychological well-being, and quality of life. He focuses on, but is not limited to, musculoskeletal pain of the back, neck, and joints, neuropathic disorders, and cancer pain. His clinical interests lie in the minimally invasive procedures to treat musculoskeletal pain, including various types of injections, intrathecal pump therapy, Spinal Cord Stimulation, and the MILD© Procedure (Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression) for Spinal Stenosis. He is an active participant in research regarding Spinal Cord Stimulation, and has published numerous textbook chapters on Cancer Pain, Back Pain, and Spinal Cord Stimulation.
His training includes:
- Fellowship in Managing Health Care Delivery, Harvard Business School, 2014
- Fellowship in Interventional Pain Medicine in the Tri-Institutional Pain Medicine Fellowship at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center, Hospital for Special Surgery and Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in 2010.
- Anesthesia Residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center in 2009.
- Medicine Internship at Caritas Carney Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts 2006
- Medical Degree from Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston, Massachusetts, 2005.
- He is an active member of the American Society of Anesthesiology (ASA), American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (ASRA), the North American Neuromodulation Society, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP), Eastern Pain Society, and the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists (NYSSA). He resides on the Executive Board of the New York Society of Interventional Pain Physicians and the Eastern Pain Society.
- He has been featured in the New York Times, Prevention Magazine, NY One, ABC, and CBS News. He has published numerous book chapters, peer-reviewed articles, and poster presentations and is a frequent invited speaker and educator at Pain conferences across the world.