As a cardiac electrophysiologist, I feel that it is a privilege to practice at the forefront of innovative medicine. Advancements in our understanding of heart rhythm disorders have translated into new therapies that improve the quality and duration of the lives of our patients every day. At an academic institution that strives for excellence, I hope to deliver outstanding care to my patients and to make significant contributions to the field of cardiac electrophysiology by engaging in important research.
Specialties and Expertise
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Supraventricular Tachycardia
- Cardiac Resynchronization
- Catheter Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation
- Ventricular Tachycardia
Jim Cheung, MD, FACC, FHRS is Professor of Medicine, Director of the Cornell Cardiac Electrophysiology Fellowship Program, and Director of Clinical Electrophysiology Research at Weill Cornell Medicine. A native New Yorker and valedictorian from the Bronx High School of Science, he graduated summa cum laude in Biochemical Sciences from Harvard University in 1995 and received his medical degree at Harvard Medical School in 1999. He completed his internship and residency training at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Cheung performed his fellowship training in cardiology and cardiac electrophysiology at New York Presbyterian Hospital - Cornell University Medical Center.
Dr. Cheung specializes in the treatment of all heart rhythm disorders. His areas of expertise include catheter ablation treatment of atrial fibrillation (AF) and complex atrial tachycardia (with specialization on the use of zero and near-zero X-ray exposure techniques), treatment of ventricular arrhythmias (with extensive experience in robotic magnetic navigation-guided ablation), and cardiac device implantation (with emphasis on His/left bundle region pacing, cardiac resynchronization therapy devices and subcutaneous implantable cardioverter-defibrillators [ICDs]).
He is co-founder of the Weill Cornell Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Group (CORG) whose mission is to assess the effectiveness and outcomes of cardiovascular interventions with a focus on the treatment of heart rhythm disorders and structural heart disease and the improvement of healthcare delivery. He has published original studies, review articles and editorials on outcomes of catheter ablation treatment of AF and ventricular arrhythmias, mechanisms behind arrhythmia disorders, genetics of inherited ventricular arrhythmia syndromes, syncope and other aspects of heart rhythm disorders. Dr. Cheung is currently conducting research on areas including: 1) real-world outcomes of catheter ablation therapies, 2) genetic factors on the development of arrhythmias in young patients, 3) innovative arrhythmia devices (e.g. ICDs) and treatments for AF and 4) robotic magnetic navigation-guided ablation of complex arrhythmias.
In a collaboration with the Weill Cornell Englander Institute of Precision Medicine, Dr. Cheung is the principal investigator of a study evaluating the role of next generation sequencing for the diagnosis and treatment of heart rhythm disorders, including atrial fibrillation, ventricular arrhythmias and sudden cardiac arrest in young patients. He is the site principal investigator of the novel implantable-cardioverter defibrillator EV-ICD pivotal study (Clinicaltrials.gov ID NCT04060680) and the MAGNETIC VT trial (NCT02637947) comparing outcomes of patients with ventricular tachycardia undergoing catheter ablation with robotic magnetic navigation versus conventional manual approach.
He is a Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society (HRS) and the Fellow of the American College of Cardiology (ACC). He is a HRS Delegate to the American Medical Association and serves on the ACC EP Section Leadership Council. He is a regular faculty speaker and moderator at the Heart Rhythm Society and American College of Cardiology scientific sessions.
Dr. Cheung was named a New York Magazine Top Doctor in Cardiac Electrophysiology in 2018. His other honors include: Castle Connolly Top Doctor in Cardiac Electrophysiology since 2015, Harvard Medical School Class of 2001 Teaching Award for mentorship of medical students, the Massachusetts General Hospital Internal Medicine Resident Teaching Award in 2002 and the NSLIJ Excellence in Teaching Award in 2008. He was a 2011 Weill Cornell Medical College Department of Medicine Investigators Research Award Finalist. He is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
2011 Weill Cornell Medical College Department of Medicine Investigators Research Award Finalist
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System Outstanding Teacher Award- 6/2008
Massachusetts General Hospital Internal Medicine Resident Teaching Award- 6/2002
Harvard Medical School Class of 2001 Resident Award for Excellence in Teaching 6/2001
Harvard Medical School Ebert Community Service Award- 6/1998
John Harvard Scholarship - 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995
1991 Westinghouse Science Talent Search Finalist, Ninth in Nation
Valedictorian, The Bronx High School of Science- 6/1991
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Cardiovascular Disease)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Professor of Medicine in Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 1999
- A.B., Harvard University, 1995
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical