Jai S. Perumal, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
- General Neurology
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Optic Neuritis
- Neuromyelitis Optica
Jai S. Perumal, M.D., is an Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology in the Department of Neurology and Neuroscience at Weill Cornell Medicine and Attending Neurologist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medicine (NYPH/WCM).
She is faculty at the Weill Cornell Multiple Sclerosis Center at NYPH/WCM.
She is the Director of Multiple Sclerosis Service at NYP Queens
Dr Perumal is board certified in Neurology and has additional specialized fellowship training in demyelinating disorders including multiple sclerosis.
Dr. Perumal received her medical degree from Stanley Medical College in India. She completed her internship in internal medicine and residency in neurology at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. She was chief resident in neurology. She then completed her two-year fellowship in clinical neuro-immunology and multiple sclerosis at Wayne State University. She is a recipient of the Sylvia Lawry Fellowship of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. She is a Feil Family Clinical Scholar in Multiple Sclerosis at Weill Cornell Medicine.
As a collaborative effort between Weill Cornell Medical College and Nyack hospital, Dr Perumal established and was the director of the Madlyn Borelli MS Center in Nyack hospital 2011-2019.
Dr Perumal established and oversees the MS practice in NYP Queens
She has presented at several neurology meetings and conferences and has published in peer-reviewed journals. Dr. Perumal's research interests include studying disease phenotypes, therapeutics and ethnic influences on disease characteristics in MS and MS variants including Devic's disease or neuromyelitis optica and central nervous system manifestations of systemic autoimmune diseases like SLE, sarcoidosis.
- Perumal, J., Balabanov, R., Balcer L. et al Long-term Effectiveness and Safety of Natalizumab in African American and Hispanic/Latino Patients with Early Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis: STRIVE Data Analysis.Nerol Ther. 2023 Mar 26.doi: 10.1007/s40120-023-00461-0
2. Ma Y, Sannino D, Linden J, Haigh S, Zhao B, Grigg JB, Zumbo P, Dunder F, Butler DJ, Profaci CP, Telsford K, Winokur PN, Rumah KR, Gauthier SG, Fischetti VA, McClane BA, Uzal FA, Zexter, L, Mazuzucco M, Rudick R, Danko D, Balmuth E, Nealon N, Perumal J, Kaunzner UW, Brito IL, Chen Z, Xiang JZ, Betel D, DanemanR, Sonnenberg GF, Mason CE, Vartanian T. Epsilon toxin-producing Clostridium perfringens colonize the MS gut and epsilon toxin overcomes immune privilege. J Clin Invest 2023 doi: 10.1172/JCI163239
- Perumal, J., Balabanov, R., Su, R. et al. Improvements in Cognitive Processing Speed, Disability, and Patient-Reported Outcomes in Patients with Early Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Treated with Natalizumab: Results of a 4-year, Real-World, Open-Label Study.CNS Drugs 2022 Sep;36(9):977-993
- Perumal J, Balabanov R, Su R et al. Improvements in Cognitive Processing Speed, Disability, and Patient-Reported Outcomes in Patients with Early Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Treated with Natalizumab: Results of a 4-year, Real-World, Open-Label Study. CNS Drugs 2022 Sep;36(9):977-993
- Melanie M, Hurtado Rua S, Tyshkov C, Jaywant A, Comunale J, Kaunzner UW, Naelon, N, Perumal JS, Zexcter L, Zinger N, Bruvik O, wang Y, Sweeney E, Kuceyeski A, Nguyen T, Gauthier SA. Disease correlates of rim lesions on quantitative susceptibility mapping in multiple sclerosis. Sci rep 2022 Mar15;12(1):4411
- Perumal, J., Balabanov, R., Su, R. et al. Natalizumab in Early Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis: A 4-Year, Open-Label Study. Adv Ther (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12325-021-01722-w
- Pandya S, Kaunzner UW, Hurtado Rua SM, Nealon N, Perumal J, Vartanian T, Nguyen TD, Gauthier SA. Impact of Lesion location on Longitudinal Myelin Water Fraction Change in chronic multiple sclerosis lesion. J Neuroimaging 2020 Jul;30(4):537-543
- Kang Y, Hurtado Rua SM, Kaunzner UW, Perumal J, Nealon N, Qu W, Kothari PJ, Vartanian T, Kuceyeski A, Gauthier GA. A Multi-Ligand Imaging Study Exploring GABAergic Receptor Expression and Inflammation in Multiple Sclerosis. Molecular Imaging and Biology 2020:22;1600-1608
- Telesford KM, Kaunzner UW, Perumal J, Gauthier SA, Wu X, Diaz I, Kruse-Hoyer M, Engel C, Marcille M, TimothyVartanianBlack African and Latino/a identity correlates with increased plasmablasts in MS.Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm Jan 2020, 7 (1) e634
- Perumal J, Balabanov R, Su R et al. Outcomes of natalizumab treatment within 3 years of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis diagnosis: a prespecified 2-year interim analysis of STRIVE. BMC Neurol.2019 Jun 8;19(1):116. doi: 10.1186/s12883-019-1337-z
- Fox, CS. Coffey,R Conwit,ME. Cudkowicz,T Gleason,A Goodman, EC. Klawiter,K Matsuda, M McGovern,RT. Naismith,A Ashokkumar,J Barnes,D Ecklund,E Klingner,
M Koepp,JD. Long,S Natarajan,B Thornell,J Yankey, RA. Bermel,JP. Debbins,X Huang, P Jagodnik,MJ. Lowe,K Nakamura,S Narayanan,KE. Sakaie,B Thoomukuntla,
X Zhou,S Krieger,E Alvarez,M Apperson, K Bashir,BA. Cohen,PK. Coyle,S Delgado,LD Dewitt,A Flores,BS. Giesser,Goldman, B Jubelt,N Lava, SG. Lynch, H Moses, D Ontaneda, JS Perumal,M Racke,P Repovic, CS. Riley,C Severson, S Shinnar,V Suski,B Weinstock-Guttman, V Yadav,A Zabeti, for the NN102/SPRINT-MS Trial Investigators N Engl J Med 2018; 379:846-855
- Kocsik AS, Klein DE, LiedkeM, Kaunzner UW, Nealon N, Gauthier SA, Vartanian TA, Perumal JS. Induction of disease remission with one cycle of alemtuzumab in relapsing–remitting MS. J Neurol. 2018 May;265(5):1226-1229.
- Ranganathan U, Kaunzner U, Foster S, Vartanian T, Perumal J S. Thrombocytopenia at the time of alemtuzumab infusion in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2018 Apr;24(4):553-554
- Ranganathan U, Kaunzner U,Foster SA,Vartanian T and Perumal JS. Immediate transient thrombocytopenia at the time of alemtuzumab infusion in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2018 Apr;24(4):540-542
- Kaunzner U,Kang Y, Monohan E, Kothari P, Naelon N, Perumal J, Vartanian T, Kuceyeski A, Vallabhajosula S, Mozley D, Riley C, Newman S, Gauthier SA: Reduction of PK11195 uptake observed in multiple sclerosis lesions after natalizumab initiation.Mult Scler Relat Disord 2017 Jul;15:27-33
- Al-Kawaz M,Monohan E, Morris E, Perumal JS, Nealon N, Vartanian T, Gauthier SA. Differential Impact of Multiple sclerosis on cortical and deep gray matter structures in African Americans and Caucasian Americans. J Neuroimaging2017 May;27(3):333-338
- Kaunzner UW, Kumar G, Askin G,Gauthier SA, Nealon N, Vartanian T, Perumal JS. Study of patients with aggressive multiple sclerosis at disease onset. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 2016; 12:1907–1912
- Fox RJ, Coffey CS, Cudkowicz ME, Gleason T, Goodman A, Klawiter EC, Matsuda K, McGovern M, Conwit R, Naismith R, Ashokkumar A, Bermel R, Ecklund D, Koepp M, Long J, Natarajan S, Ramachandran S, Skaramagas T, Thornell B, Yankey J, Agius M, Bashir K, Cohen B, Coyle P, Delgado S, Dewitt D, Flores A, Giesser B, Goldman M, Jubelt B, Lava N, Lynch S, Miravalle A, Moses H, Ontaneda D, Perumal J, Racke M, Repovic P, Riley C, Severson C, Shinnar S, Suski V, Weinstock-Gutman B, Yadav V, Zabeti A. Design, rationale, and baseline characteristics of the randomized double-blind phase II clinical trial of ibudilast in progressive multiple sclerosis. Contemp Clin Trials. 2016 Sep;50:166-77.
- Perumal JS, Kister I, Howard J, Herbert J. Disease Exacerbation after Rituximab in Neuromyelitis Optica. Neurol NeuroimmunolNeuroinflamm 2015;2(1):e61. doi: 10.1212
- Vargas WS, Marc Dinkin, Nancy Nealon, Perumal JS. Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder as a Paraneoplastic Disorder in a Patient with Metastatic Breast Cancer. SOJ Neurol 2014;1(1):1-2
- Perumal, Jai S.; Foo, Farng; Cook, Perry; Khan, Omar. Subcutaneous administration of alemtuzumab in patients with highly active multiple sclerosis. Multiple sclerosis 2012;18(8):1197-1199.
- Boster Al, Hreha S, Betger JR, Bao F, Penmesta, Tselis A, Endress C, zak I, Perumal JS, Caon C, Vazquez J, Tyler KL, Racke M, Millis S, Khan O. Progressive Multifocal Luekoencephalopathy and Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis A comparative Study. Arch Neurol 2009;66(5):593-599.
- Boster Al, Endress C, Hreha S, Caon C, Perumal JS, Khan O. Pediatric Onset Multiple Sclerosis in African-American Black and European Origin White Patients. Pediatric Neurology 2009;40(1):31-33.
- Tselis A, Perumal JS, Caon C, Hreha S, Ching W, Din M,Van Stavern G, Khan O. Treatment of corticosteroid refractory optic neuritis in multiple sclerosis patients with intravenous immunoglobulin. E J Neurology 2008;15(11):1163-1167.
- Perumal JS, Caon C, Hreha S, Zabad R, Tselis A, Lisak R, Khan O. Oral Prednisone Taper Following IV Steroids fails to improve Disability or Recovery from Relapses Multiple Sclerosis. E J Neurology 2008; 15(7):677-680.
- Boster A, Caon C, Perumal J, Hreha S, Zabad R, Tselis A, Lisak R, Zak I, Khan O. Failure to develop multiple sclerosis in patients with neurologic symptoms without objective evidence. Multiple Sclerosis 2008; 14(6):804-808.
- Perumal J, Zabad R, Caon C, MacKenzie M, Tselis A, Bao F, Latif Z, Lisak R, Khan O. Acute Transverse Myelitis with Normal Brain MRI: Long-term Risk of Clinically Definite MS. J of Neurology 2008; 255(1):89-93.
- Tousi B, Perumal JS, Ahuja K, Ahmed A, Subramanian T. Effects of botulinum toxin-B ( BTX-B) injection for hemifacial spasm. Parkinsonism Relat. Disorders 2004; 10(7):455-6.
- Babij R, Perumal JS. Comparative efficacy of alemtuzumab and established treatment in the management of multiple sclerosis. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2015 May 18;11:1221-9.
- Reardon J and Perumal JS. Review of daclizumab and its therapeutic potential in the Treatment of relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis. Drug Design, Development and Therapy 2013;7:1187–1193.
- Vargas WS and Perumal JS. Fingolimod and cardiac risk: latest findings and clinical implications. Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2013 Jun;4(3):119-24.
- Perumal, JS; Khan, Omar. Emerging disease-modifying therapies in multiple sclerosis. Current treatment options in neurology 2012; 14:256-263.
- Perumal J, Filippi M, Ford C, Johnson K, Lisak R, Metz L, Tselis A, Tullman A, Khan O. Glatiramer Acetate Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis: A Review. Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism & Toxicology. 2006;2(6):1019-1029
- Jai S Perumal. Right Arm and Leg Weakness. In: Case based Neurology. Anuradha Singh. Demos Medical Publishing. 2012. Chapter 25: 173-178.
- Jai S Perumal. Left Arm Numbness and Slurred Speech. In: Case based Neurology. Anuradha Singh. Demos Medical Publishing. 2012. Chapter 30: 213-218.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
2007-2009- Sylvia Lawry Fellow of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Neurologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.B.,B.S., Stanley Medical College, Dr M.G.R Medical University (India), 1997
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.