Specialties and Expertise
Jai S. Perumal, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Neurology and Neuroscience at Weill Cornell Medicine and Attending Neurologist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medicine (NYPH/WCM). She is faculty at the Weill Cornell Multiple Sclerosis Center at NYPH/WCM. She is the Director of the Madlyn Borelli MS Center at Nyack Hospital. She is board certified in Neurology and has additional specialized fellowship training in demyelinating disorders including multiple sclerosis.
Dr. Perumal received her medical degree from Stanley Medical College in India. She completed her internship in internal medicine and residency in neurology at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. She was chief resident in neurology. She then completed her two year fellowship in clinical neuro-immunology and multiple sclerosis at Wayne State University. She is a recipient of the Sylvia Lawry Fellowship of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. She is a Feil Family Clinical Scholar in Multiple Sclerosis at Weill Cornell Medicine.
She has presented at several neurology meetings and conferences and has published in peer-reviewed journals. Dr. Perumal's research interests include studying disease phenotypes, therapeutics and ethnic influences on disease characteristics in MS and MS variants including Devic's disease or neuromyelitis optica and central nervous system manifestations of systemic autoimmune diseases like SLE, sarcoidosis.
Kocsik AS, Klein DE, LiedkeM, Kaunzner UW, Nealon N, Gauthier SA, Vartanian TA, Perumal JS. Induction of disease remission with one cycle of alemtuzumab in relapsing–remitting MS. J Neurol. 2018 May;265(5):1226-1229.
Ranganathan U, Kaunzner U, Foster S, Vartanian T, Perumal J S. Thrombocytopenia at the time of alemtuzumab infusion in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2018 Apr;24(4):553-554
Ranganathan U, Kaunzner U,Foster SA,Vartanian T and Perumal JS. Immediate transient thrombocytopenia at the time of alemtuzumab infusion in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2018 Apr;24(4):540-542
Kaunzner UW, Kumar G, Askin G,Gauthier SA, Nealon N, Vartanian T, Perumal JS. Study of patients with aggressive multiple sclerosis at disease onset. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 2016; 12:1907–1912
Fox RJ, Coffey CS, Conwit R, Cudkowicz ME, Gleason T, Goodman A, Klawiter EC, Matsuda K, McGovern M, Naismith RT, Ashokkumar A, Barnes J, Ecklund D, Klingner E, Koepp M, Long JD, Natarajan S, Thornell B, Yankey J, Bermel RA, Debbins JP, Huang X, Jagodnik P, Lowe MJ, Nakamura K, Narayanan S, Sakaie KE, Thoomukuntla B, Zhou X, Krieger S, Alvarez E, Apperson 1, Bashir K, Cohen BA, Coyle PK, Delgado S, Dewitt LD, Flores A, Giesser BS, Goldman MD, Jubelt B, Lava N, Lynch SG, Moses H, Ontaneda D, Perumal JS, Racke M, Repovic P, Riley CS, Severson C, Shinnar S, Suski V, Weinstock-Guttman B, Yadav V, Zabeti A. Phase 2 Trial of Ibudilast in Progressive Multiple Sclerosis.; NN102/SPRINT-MS Trial Investigators. N Engl J Med. 2018 Aug 30;379(9):846-855. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1803583.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
2007-2009- Sylvia Lawry Fellow of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Professor of Neurology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Assistant Attending Neurologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- M.B.,B.S., Stanley Medical College, Dr M.G.R Medical University (India), 1997
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare