Locations and Appointments
- Prostate Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Testis Cancer
- Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction
- Ureteropelvic Junction (UPJ) Obstruction
- Adrenal Cancer
- Da Vinci Robotic Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Ronald P. Lynch Professor of Urologic Oncology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Professor of Urology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Attending Urologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education & Training
- M.D., Baylor College of Medicine, 1998
- M.P.H., The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, 1998
- B.A., The Johns Hopkins University, 1993
My passion for becoming a surgeon stemmed from a desire to help, love of sports (requiring dedication, teamwork and the pursuit of excellence) and the satisfaction from delivering cures. I was recruited to Weill Cornell Medicine (WCM) in February 2015 after establishing high volume, internationally renowned programs at Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School and UCLA Medical Center where I served as Director of the Prostate Cancer and Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery Programs, respectively. The desire to deliver transcendent care and push research in the largest and most dynamic U.S. metropolis led me to join the mission at WCM to deliver compassionate, high quality, personalized care for urologic oncology conditions.
For more information on Dr. Hu, including office contact information, please visit his department profile.
Dr. Jim Hu is a urologic oncologist, with his undergraduate degree in Economics, his Masters in Public Health in Health Policy and Management from Johns Hopkins University and his Medical Degree from Baylor College of Medicine. He completed his Urology Residency at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and his Urologic Oncology Fellowship at City of Hope National Medical Center.
He began his career as the Director of Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Instructor at Harvard Medical School and was quickly promoted to Director of the Prostate Cancer Program at Dana Farber/Harvard Cancer Center and Associate Professor. He was then recruited back to UCLA as the Henry Singleton Chair of Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery and was promoted to Professor before joining the faculty at Weill Cornell Medical College as the Director of the LeFrak Center for Robotic Surgery and the Ronald P. Lynch Chair in Urologic Oncology.
Dr. Hu is internationally renown as a surgical innovator and health services researcher. His comparative effectiveness research interests have been funded by the Department of Defense, National Cancer Institute and the Livestrong Foundation, and his areas of clinical and research expertise include prostate and kidney cancer. He has authored more than 150 peer-reviewed papers. Dr. Hu has performed thousands of robot-assisted prostatectomies, among over 3500 laparoscopic, robotic and open procedures.
"Dr Hu performed a radical prostatectomy on me after a diagnosis of cancer. In consultations with me prior to surgery, he was warm and kind, and extremely informative. He showed great patience, answered all of my questions, met with my wife, and left me feeling that I had made a fully-informed decision. And then the real skills shine through - Dr. Hu's surgical abilities left me with truly minimal side effects. I was walking within hours after surgery and my overall recovery has been swift." - Michael L.
"Dr. Hu performed a robotic radical prostatectomy. Long and short term outcomes were better than I anticipated. Only missed 7 days of work. He is a highly competent surgeon, a great doctor and a truly nice person. I highly recommend Dr. Hu." - John M.
His work and expertise has been sought by national news outlets such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Mens Health and others.
Some of these may be found below:
If you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Hu, please call his office at (646) 962-9600. You may view his accepted insurances on his profile at urology.weillcornell.org.
Dr. Hu's office is located in the LeFrak Center for Robotic Surgery at 525 E. 68th Street, 9th floor, Starr 946.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO