You are here
New York, NY 10065
Jonathan Avery, M.D., is the Director of Addiction Psychiatry and an Assistant Attending Psychiatrist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Avery’s primary academic focus has been to examine and help develop interventions to improve clinicians’ attitudes towards patients with substance use disorders. He is also focused on educating all physicians on how to treat individuals with co-occurring substance use disorders and mental illness.
Specialties & Expertise
- Substance Abuse
- Mood Disorder
- Anxiety Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Family Problems
- Relationship Problems
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- Addiction Psychiatry
Clinical & Academic Positions
Assistant Attending Psychiatrist
Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., New York University School of Medicine, 2009
- B.A., University of Florida, 2005
Honors & Awards
- 2011 - Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry Fellow
- 2011 - New York Presbyterian Falcon Award for Service (2)
- 2011 - New York Presbyterian Shining Star Award (3)
- 2011 - American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry Travel Award
- 2012 - AACAP Educational Outreach Program (EOP) for Residents in Alcohol Research Award
- 2013 - American Psychiatric Association Resident Recognition Award
- 2014 – American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Faculty Innovation in Education Award
- 2015 – Weill Cornell Medical College Leadership in Academic Medicine Program
- 2016 – Outstanding Faculty Member Award from the New York County Psychiatric Society
Dr. Avery is a graduate of the New York University School of Medicine. He completed his residency training at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Payne Whitney Clinic. During residency, he was selected as a Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry Fellow and won several awards for his clinical and academic work. He was co-chief resident in his final year of training. Prior to employment on the Cornell faculty, Dr. Avery completed an addiction psychiatry fellowship at the New York University School of Medicine.
Dr. Avery is currently the Director of Addiction Psychiatry and an Assistant Attending Psychiatrist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs at Weill Cornell Medical College. In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Avery teaches addiction psychiatry to the Weill Cornell medical students and residents of New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He has been published on a broad variety of topics in psychiatry, including papers on subjects ranging from clinician attitudes towards patients to how to use buprenorphine. He was on the editorial board for the DSM-5 Clinical Cases book, and is the editor of the book Co-occurring Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders: A Guide to Diagnosis and Treatment. He has won numerous awards for his clinical and academic work, including the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Faculty Innovation in Education Award and the Outstanding Faculty Member Award from the New York County Psychiatric Society.