Specialties and Expertise
- Pediatric Infectious Disease
- Bacterial Infection
- Pediatric Fungal Infections
- Infections In Immunocompromised Patients
- Opportunistic Infection
- Bone and Joint Infections
- Infection, Congenital
- Congenital CMV Infection
Children and microbes have always been my main passions. As a Pediatric Infectious Diseases Specialist I have been able to combine my 2 interests and now I have the privilege to help children and families coping with infections, either acute or chronic. My clinical interests include general pediatric infectious diseases, the evaluation and management of infections in immunocompromised hosts including bone marrow and solid organ transplant and chemotherapy recipients, congenital infections and bone and joint infections. Working at a tertiary care facility allows me also to be involved in all the aspects of infectious diseases, from clinical care and teaching to medical students, residents and fellows to clinical and translational research.
Dr. Christine M. Salvatore is Chief of Pediatric Infectious Diseases in the Department of Pediatrics. She is an Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and an Associate Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. She is board certified in both Pediatrics and Pediatric Infectious Diseases.
She received her M.D. in Italy at the University of Trieste, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, and completed her pediatric residency in Italy at Burlo Garofolo Children`s Hospital in Trieste (Italy). After working in Italy as an attending pediatrician, Dr. Salvatore came to the United States where she completed additional pediatric training at Jacobi Medical Center in New York City, and a fellowship in pediatric infectious disease at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.
Her interest in pediatric infectious diseases began in Italy, where she collaborated as Principal Site Investigator with the PENTA (Pediatric European Network for the Treatment of AIDS) and the Italian Register for HIV Infection in Children. Since then, Dr. Salvatore has been involved in several clinical trials.
Clinical and translational research is one of her main interests. While at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, she also conducted basic research studying, in a murine model, treatment strategies for Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections and the pathogenesis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae respiratory infections. Since at Weill Cornell Medicine she has conducted bench to bedside translational research trying to establish the effectiveness of fungal biomarkers, in particular (1->3)-ß-D-glucan, in the diagnosis and therapeutic monitoring of invasive fungal infections in pediatrics. Studying the epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of joint and bone infections in children is another of her interests.
Demonstrating her longstanding commitment to medical education, she has given lectures to medical students, residents and medical staff on general pediatrics, pediatric infectious diseases, pediatric HIV, infectious complications in pediatric immunocompromised hosts and antimicrobials principles.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
June 2016. Award for Clinical and Teaching Excellence. Presented by Pediatric Housestaff.
- Pediatric Infectious Disease
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Associate Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- M.S., Weill Graduate School of Medical Sciences of Cornell University, 2009
- M.D., University of Trieste, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery (Italy), 1993
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY