Specialties and Expertise
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Pediatric Diabetes
- Thyroid Disease
- Pituitary Disease
- Disorder of Adrenal Gland
- Growth Disorder
- Pubertal Disorders
- Short Stature
- Thyroid Disorder
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
- Ambiguous Genitalia
- Type 1 Diabetes
Pediatric endocrinologists diagnose and treat conditions caused by disturbances in hormone production or function. These conditions often require a multifaceted and coordinated approach among the medical teams, families, school staff, and most importantly the child being treated.
I specialize in the care of children with type 1 diabetes, growth and pubertal disorders, thyroid disorders, and the multiple hormone disorders that can result following treatment for childhood cancer. I believe the most important part of a patient-doctor relationship is having an open and honest line of communication with patients and their families. Involving the children in decisions about their own care helps then overcome any fear and anxiety on their part, and leads to the most successful therapeutic outcomes.
Dr. Zoltan Antal is the Chief of Pediatric Endocrinology at Weill Cornell Medicine and directs the Pediatric Diabetes Program in the Division of Pediatric Endocrinology. He is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and an Assistant Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian Phyllis and David Komansky Center for Children's Health at Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Antal is board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Endocrinology.
Dr. Antal received a B.S. in Biology from Stony Brook University in Stony Brook, New York and completed his medical degree (M.D.) from St. George’s University School of Medicine in Grenada, West Indies in combination with clinical rotations at Jamaica Hospital in Queens, New York City. He went on to complete his Residency in Pediatrics in Brooklyn, New York at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Kings County Hospital, where he later served as chief resident. After residency, he remained in New York City and completed a fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology at the Children’s Hospital at Montefiore in the Bronx.
During his fellowship, Dr. Antal also conducted research at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the immunology of diabetes. Specifically, he isolated islet cells from pancreata of diabetic mice and studied the targets of the islet infiltrating T cells. In addition, he was also in charge of the translational component of the research, which entailed examining the peripheral blood of children newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, searching for reactivity to the human counterparts of the murine T cell targets.
Finally, Dr. Antal and his colleagues analyzed the HLA supertypes of a subset of diabetic children, publishing the findings in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences in 2008.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
New York Super Doctor, 2017
Leo M. Davidoff Society inductee for outstanding achievement in the teaching of medial students, May 2009
Pediatric Research Day Oral Presentation Award, April 2009
Fellows' resident teaching award, June 2007
Doctor's Day award, March 2006
Pulmonary Research Award, May 2005
- Pediatric Endocrinology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., St. George's University School of Medicine (Grenada), 2002
- B.S., State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1998
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY