Locations and Appointments
- Orthopedic Trauma Surgery
- Fracture of Upper Extremity
- Fracture of Lower Extremity
- Fracture of Pelvis
- Fracture of Acetabulum
- Malunion of Fracture
- Nonunion of Fracture
- Orthopedic Trauma
- Orthopaedic Surgery
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Duke University School of Medicine, 1992
- B.S., Duke University, 1986
Dr. William Ricci is Chief of the Orthopedic Trauma Service at Hospital for Special Surgery and NewYork–Presbyterian Hospital. He is professor of orthopedic surgery at HSS and Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Ricci specializes in the field of orthopedic trauma surgery focusing on treating patients with any type of fracture of the arms (shoulder, humerus, elbow, ulna, radius, and clavicle), legs (hip, femur, knee, tibia, fibula, ankle, foot, calcaneus, and talus), pelvis, and acetabulum. He has 19 years of experience and is nationally and internationally known for his surgical expertise in treating complex fractures and complications of fractures (nonunion, malunion, infection, and osteomyelitis).
After obtaining his undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering and medical degree from Duke University, Dr. Ricci completed his orthopedic surgery residency at HSS and specialized fellowship training in orthopedic trauma surgery at Tampa General Hospital and Florida Orthopaedic Institute. Prior to returning to HSS, Dr. Ricci was on faculty at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis where he served as Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chief of the Orthopaedic Trauma Service and Vice-Chair of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Dr. Ricci has been recognized by his peers for his clinical care as a Best Orthopedic Traumatologist in the US as well as a Best Orthopedic Traumatologist in North America. He has been a member of Marquis Who's Who in Medicine and a Castle Connolly Top Doctor every year since 2012, a Best Orthopedic Doctor in St. Louis since 2009, and has been selected as one of "America's Top Physicians" by the Consumers' Research Council of America. He has won awards for resident teaching and for original research.
Dr. Ricci has distinguished himself in the field of orthopedic trauma by holding leadership positions in medical societies such as President of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association and Board of Directors member of the American Orthopaedic Association.
He has edited multiple textbooks including the internationally known Rockwood & Green's textbook of Fractures in Adults, served on the editorial boards of scholarly journals such as being Deputy Editor of the Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, and has been selected for the prestigious American-British-Canadian Traveling Fellowship.
Dr. Ricci has presented his research nationally and internationally, published over 125 peer reviewed articles, over 25 book chapters and multiple surgical technique videos. He has chaired multiple surgical skills courses and has been an invited lecturer worldwide.
Dr. Ricci sees patients for the following conditions:
- Complex fractures and dislocations
- Fractures of the upper extremity (clavicle, shoulder, upper arm, humerus, elbow, forearm, radius, ulna, olecranon, etc.)
- Fractures of the lower extremity (hip, femur, thigh, knee, patella, tibial plateau, tibia, fibula, ankle, foot, calcaneus, talus, etc.)
- Fractures of the pelvis and acetabulum
- Nonunions (unhealed fractures, especially those of the tibia, humerus, femur, and clavicle)
- Malunions (poorly healed or crooked fractures, especially those requiring corrective osteotomies)
- Infections associated with fractures
- Osteomyelitis (infections of bone)
Insurance Plans Accepted
For relevant information regarding accepted insurances, please contact this provider directly.