Stefan Worgall, M.D., PhD.
I am a physician scientist. My clinical expertise is in diseases that affect the lungs and airways in infants and children. My research interests are to better understand chronic lung diseases, particularly asthma and cystic fibrosis, and to develop new strategies to prevent and treat these disorders.
Specialties and Expertise
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- Congenital Anomaly of Lung
- Broncho-Pulmonary Dysplasia
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Respiratory Disease
- Pediatric Asthma
- Chronic Lung Disease
Dr. Worgall is the Division Chief of the Pediatric Pulmonology, Allergy and Immunology Division and Distinguished Professor of Pediatric Pulmonology at Weill Cornell Medicine, where is is also a Professor of Pediatrics, and Professor of Genetic Medicine. In addition, he is an Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian Phyllis and David Komansky Center for Children's Health/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
He received his medical education at the Ruprecht-Karls University in Heidelberg, Germany and his residency training in Pediatrics at the Universities of Heidelberg, Essen and Giessen in Germany and at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Worgall completed a fellowship in Pediatric Pulmonology at Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Worgall maintains an active research laboratory where his group studies the lung immune system in asthma and cystic fibrosis as well as new vaccine strategies against lung infections. As author or co-author of more than 70 research articles, Dr. Worgall has published his scientific work in journals such as Journal of Clinical Investigation, Blood, Nature Medicine and Journal of Virology.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
2016, Recipient Daedalus Fund for Innovation award, Weill Cornell Medicine
2015, Recipient, Klosterfrau Award for Research of Airway Diseases in Childhood, Society of Pediatric Pulmonology Society in Germany.
2017, 2012, Voted of New York City's Super Doctors
2010, Distinguished Associate Professor of Pediatric Pulmonology
2009, Fellow, American Society of Pediatric Research
1999, Investigator Award Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College
1999, Parker B. Francis Fellowship
1983, Scheffel Prize
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics (Pediatric Pulmonology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Distinguished Professor of Pediatric Pulmonology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Professor of Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Professor of Genetic Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- Ph.D., University of Heidelberg (Germany), 1992
- M.D., University of Heidelberg, Faculty of Medicine (Germany), 1991
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported