S. Robert Rozbruch, M.D.
We are happy to introduce the Institute for Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction at Hospital for Special Surgery and New York Presbyterian Hospital. We are a specialty service that is dedicated to the treatment of leg length discrepancy, limb deformity, nonunions, osteomyelitis, and bone defects in the upper and lower limbs in both children and adults. We specialize in the treatment of congenital conditions such as congenital short femur, fibular hemimelia, hemiatrophy, genu varum (bowlegs), dwarfism, and short stature. We treat post-traumatic conditions such as nonunions, limb deformity and shortening, foot and ankle deformity, bone defects and infection. Minimally invasive techniques are used for knee realignment to treat knee arthritis. We use a variety of techniques including external fixation, the Ilizarov method, internal fixation, arthroscopy, and joint replacement. With a dedicated group of physicians and surgeons, nurses, therapists, and operating room personnel, we have been able to achieve excellent results for our patients. Please visit our website http://www.LimbLengthening.com for more information.
Dr. S. Robert Rozbruch, after graduating Magna Cum Laude from the University of Pennsylvania, attended Weill Cornell Medical College, from which he graduated with honors in research. Residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery was followed by two fellowships. He did specialized training in Trauma as an AO fellow at the University of Bern in Switzerland. Additional training in adult and pediatric limb lengthening followed at the Maryland Center for Limb Lengthening & Reconstruction.
Dr. Rozbruch is the Chief of the Limb Lengthening and Complex Reconstruction Service. He is a Professor of Clinical Orthopaedic Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College. He is a member of several national medical societies including fellowship in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Orthopaedic Trauma Association, and ASAMI - The Limb Lengthening & Reconstruction Society. He has presented his clinical and research works at national medical meetings and has authored numerous articles in medical journals and chapters in Orthopaedic textbooks. He edited "Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Surgery," a comprehensive textbook on the subject.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- Seah KT, Shafi R, Fragomen AT, Rozbruch SR: Distal Femoral Osteotomy: Is Internal Fixation Better than External? Clin Orthop Rel Res. 2011, 469: 2003-2011.
- Kim HJ, Fragomen AT, Reinhardt K, Hutson JJ, Rozbruch SR: Lengthening of the femur over an existing intramedullary nail. J Orthop Trauma, 25(11): 681-684.
- Horn D, Fragomen AT, Rozbruch SR: Supramalleolar osteotomy using the Taylor spatial frame. Foot Ankle Int. 2011, 32: 986-993.
- Rozbruch SR, Schachter L, Bigman D, Marx R: Growth Arrest of the Tibia after ACL Reconstruction: Lengthening and Deformity Correction with the Taylor Spatial Frame. Accepted for publication. Am. J Sports Med. (in press)
- Ashfaq K, Fragomen AT, Rozbruch SR: Correction of proximal Tibia Varus with External Fixation. Accepted for publication. J Knee Surgery. (in press)
- Lesiak AC, Voseller JT, Rozbruch SR: Osteotomy, Athrodesis, and Arthroplasty for Complex Multiapical Deformity of the Leg. Accepted for publication. HSS J. (in press)
- Harbechuski R, Fragomen AT, Rozbruch SR: Lengthening and Then Plating (LAP) of the Lower Limb -A Case-matched Comparison. Clin Orthop Rel Res. (December 2011)
- Mahboubian S, Seah M, Schachter L, Fragomen AT, Rozbruch SR: Lengthening Over Nail (LON) versus Intramedullary Skeletal Kinetic Distraction (ISKD) for femoral lengthening. Clin Orthop Rel Res. (December 2011)
For more publications, please see the PubMed listing.
- Fragomen AT, Rozbruch SR: Supramalleolar Osteotomy with External Fixation: Perspective 1. In: Mark E. Easley (Editor), Sam W. Wiesel (Editor-in Chief): Operative Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery; Lippincott Williams Wilkins, Philadelphia 2010
- Palatnik Y, Rozbruch SR: Femoral Reconstruction Using External Fixation. Advances in Orthopedics, vol. 2011, Article ID 967186, 10 pages, 2011. doi:10.4061/2011/967186.
- Rozbruch SR: Limb Lengthening in Skeletally Mature Patients. In: Hamdy RC, McCarthy JJ: Management of Limb-Length Discrepancies; American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Monograph Series 2011.
- Rozbruch SR: Fixator assisted plating of limb deformities. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2011, 21:174-179.
- Hamdy R, Rozbruch SR, Sabharwal S: Advances in Distraction Osteogenesis. J Orthop Res virtual issue, July 2011
- Rozbruch SR, Fragomen AT: Hybrid Lengthening Techniques: Lengthening and then Nailing (LATN), Lengthening and then Plating (LAP) In: Tsuchiya, Kocaoglu, Eralp (Eds.): Advanced Techniques in Limb Reconstruction Surgery, Springer (in press 2011)
- Fragomen AT, Rozbruch SR: Distraction Arthroplasty for Ankle Osteoarthritis. In: Tsuchiya, Kocaoglu, Eralp (Eds.): Advanced Techniques in Limb Reconstruction Surgery, Springer (in press 2011)
- Sabharwal S, Rozbruch SR: What New in Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Surgery? Invited review article in J Bone Joint Surg- Am 2011. 93-A(24): 2324-2332.
- O'Brien SJ, Warren RF, Arnoczky SP, Rozbruch SR: Developmental Anatomy of the Human Shoulder and Anatomy of the Glenohumeral Joint, in Rockwood and Matsen: The Shoulder, WB Saunders Co., USA, 1990
- Rozbruch SR: Fractures of the Knee. In: Craig, EV: Clinical Orthopaedics; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Copyright, 1999, pp.678-690.
- Rozbruch SR, Pugh K: Nonunions and Malunions, in Orthopaedic Knowledge Update Trauma 3, upcoming AAOS publication. In Press
- O'Brien SJ, Neves M, Rozbruch SR, DiCarlo E, Arnoczky SP, Warren RF, Wickiewicz T: Anatomy and Histology of the Inferior Glenohumeral Ligament Complex of the Shoulder, American Journal of Sports Medicine 18:5:1990.
- Rozbruch SR, Wickiewicz T, DiCarlo E, Potter H: Osteonecrosis of the Knee Following Arthroscopic Laser Meniscectomy. Journal of Arthroscopy 12:2:245, 1996.
- Rozbruch SR, Muller U, Gautier E, Ganz R: The Evolution of Femoral Shaft Plating Technique. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 354: 195-208, 1998.
- Rozbruch SR, Chang V, Bohne WHO, Deland J: Ganglion Cysts of the Lower Extremity, Orthopedics 21:141-8, 1998
- Rozbruch SR, Herzenberg JE, Tetsworth KT, Tuten HR, Paley D: Distraction Osteogenesis for Nonunion after High Tibial Osteotomy. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 394:227-235, 2002
- Rozbruch SR, Helfet, DL, Blyakher A: Distraction of Hypertrophic Nonunion of Tibia with Deformity Using Ilizarov/ Taylor Spatial Frame. Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, 2002; 122;295-298.
- Rozbruch SR, DiPaoli M, Blyakher AA: Fibula Lengthening Using a Modified Ilizarov Method. ORTHOPEDICS 25:11:1241, November 2002.
- Guyette T, Rozbruch SR, Blyakher AA: The Ilizarov Method for Treatment of an Extraarticular Distal Humerus Fracture. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 3:299-305, 2002
- Rozbruch SR, Blyakher A, Haas SB, Hotchkiss R: Correction of Large Bilateral Tibia Vara with the Ilizarov Method. Journal of Knee Surgery 16:1:34-37, 2003.
- Inda J I, Blyakher A, O'Malley MJ, Rozbruch SR: Distraction Arthroplasty for the Ankle Using the Ilizarov Frame. Techniques Foot and Ankle Surgery, 2 (4):249-253, 2003
- Rozbruch SR. Techniques In Tibial Osteotomy: External Fixation for Proximal Tibial Osteotomy.Orthopaedics.hss.edu 2004 March 5.
- DiPaoli M, Rozbruch SR, Helfet DL: Minimal Incision Technique Using a Two-Hole Plate for Fixation of Stable Intertrochanteric Hip Fractures. Orthopedics, 27 (3): 270-274, 2004
- Mullen J, Rozbruch SR, Blyakher AA, Helfet DL: Ilizarov for Wound Closure and Bony Union of an Open 3B Tibia Fracture. Case Report Clin Pract Rev, 5(1), 2004
- Rozbruch SR, Ilizarov S, Blyakher AA: Knee Arthrodesis with Simultaneous Lengthening Using the Ilizarov Method. Journal of Orthopedic Trauma volume 19; 3:171-179, March 2005.
- Rozbruch SR, Paley D, Herzenberg JE, Bhave A: Ilizarov Hip Reconstruction for the Late Effects of Infantile Hip Sepsis. Journal of Bone Joint Surgery- Am. May 2005.
- Fragomen A, Ilizarov S, Blyakher A, Rozbruch SR: Proximal Tibial Osteotomy for Medial Compartment Osteoarthritis of the Knee Using the Taylor Spatial Frame. Accepted for publication in Techniques in Knee Surgery, Feb. 2005. In Press.
Honors and Awards
Castle Connolly "Best Doctors in New York", 2012-present
"Best Doctors in New York," New York magazine, 2006-present
Research Thesis Honors Award, Cornell University Medical College - A Synthetic Matrix for Cartilage Repair, 1988
NIH Summer Research Fellowship, Cornell University Medical College - A Synthetic Matrix for Cartilage Repair, 1987
David P. Barr Summer Research Fellowship, Cornell University Medical College, 1986
Magna Cum Laude, University of Pennsylvania, 1985
Dean’s Honor List, University of Pennsylvania, 1982-1986
- Limb Lengthening
- Joint Replacement
- Malunion and Nonunion Fractures
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 1990