My area of specialization is hypertension. In patient care and in research, my focus has been on optimization of treatment by identifying the treatment best suited for the individual patient. I believe we have available sufficient classes of medications to control hypertension in almost everyone; the problem is that many patients are on medications and doses that are wrong for them.
My particular areas of interest within hypertension include resistant hypertension and paroxysmal (episodic) hypertension, aka “pseudopheochromocytoma.” I am also interested in the mind-body link, particularly as related to repressed emotions.
Specialties and Expertise
- Internal Medicine
- Resistant Hypertension
Dr. Samuel J. Mann is a Professor of Clinical Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Attending Physician at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Mann received his Bachelor’s of Arts degree at New York University and his M.D. at the State University of New York Downstate Medical School. He completed his residency at St. Luke’s Hospital and a Fellowship in Hypertension at Mt. Sinai Hospital.
Dr. Mann is board certified in Internal Medicine, and is certified by the American Society of Hypertension (ASH) as a Hypertension Specialist. He is the author of over 60 papers, numerous book chapters, and two books: Healing Hypertension; A Revolutionary New Approach (Wiley 1999), and Hypertension and You; Old Drugs, New Drugs and the Right Drugs for your High Blood Pressure (Roman Littlefield, 2012).
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Society of Hypertension
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 1972
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- * AETNA - HMO
- * AETNA - Medicare
- * AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- * Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- * United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported