Susan L. Lucak, M.D.
My approach to patient care is to listen carefully to patients’ symptoms and concerns. I perform a targeted work-up without excessive testing. During office visits a considerable amount of time is spent on educating patients about their conditions and on encouraging them to be involved in their own care. I believe that patient-physician relationship requires team-work and over the years this has resulted in the best outcomes.
- Internal Medicine
- Nausea & Vomiting
- Fecal Incontinence
- Fecal Urgency
- Screening For Rectal Cancer
- Colonoscopy, Screening
- Colon Cancer Screening
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Non-Cardiac Chest Pain
- Abdominal Bloating
- Chronic Diarrhea
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Health Care
- B.A., Barnard College - Columbia University, 1977
- M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, 1981
Honors and Awards
Dr. Lucak is the recipient of numerous honors and awards, some of which include:
- 1981: Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Alpha Omega Alpha
- 1981: Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Edward Weinstein Award for Excellence in Internal Medicine (given annually to two members of the graduating class
- 2009 -2014: Listed as one of the New York Super Doctors in the New York Times Magazine
- 2010 – 2013: Castle Conolly Top Doctor in NY Metro Area
Affiliate Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Assistant Attending Physician
Dr. Lucak has focused her practice on functional gastrointestinal disorders including irritable bowel syndrome, chronic abdominal pain, persistent diarrhea, chronic constipation, and bloating among others. She is particularly interested in the treatment of these disorders and has worked with pharmaceutical companies to educate doctors and health care providers about novel treatments for these medical conditions. She has lectured widely in the United States.
Dr. Lucak is also involved in improving colon cancer screening rates and is part of the New York Citywide Colon Cancer Control Coalition (C5) which is a partnership between the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the NYC Health and Hospital Corporation, the Greater NY Hospital Association, the American Cancer Society, local physicians, patients and community groups.
In the past, Dr. Lucak’s research efforts centered on evaluating the clinical efficacy and safety of IBS treatments and on various clinical aspects of functional gastrointestinal disorders. She was a faculty member at Columbia University Medical Center for 24 years. Since 2010, she has been in private practice on the upper east side of Manhattan and in May 2014, Dr. Lucak joined Weill Cornell Medical College.