You are here
Stephen C. Karceski, M.D.
For many years, I have met with adolescents and adults whose seizures have been difficult to control with medications. I have always been interested in newer treatments, including epilepsy surgery and devices. I believe that new technologies will lead to new treatments for epilepsy. For many people with seizures, the best treatment may be a combination of medication plus one of these newer therapies.
Specialties & Expertise
- Epileptic Seizures
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans
Clinical & Academic Positions
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Assistant Attending Neurologist
Education & Training
- M.D., Georgetown University School of Medicine, 1993
- B.S., University of Maryland, 1988
Honors & Awards
Desmond S. O’Doherty Award for Outstanding Academic Performance in Neurology, Georgetown University May 1993
Physician’s Excellence Award, Atlantic Health Systems, June 2003
Stephen Q. Shafer Award for Humanism in Neurology June 2010
Dr. Steven Karceski completed a Biochemistry degree as an undergraduate at the University of Maryland, College Park. He received his medical degree at Georgetown and completed a residency in Neurology at Stanford University, where he was appointed Chief Resident in Neurology. After completing his residency, he proceeded to a 2-year fellowship in Epilepsy and EEG at Stanford University.
Dr. Karceski is currently the Director of Clinical Trials at the Weill Cornell Epilepsy Center. His primary interest is in the care of adolescent and adult patients with epilepsy and his research interests include the development of new medications, as well as, new approaches to the evaluation and surgical treatment of extratemporal lobe epilepsies.
He has authored many articles that have appeared an Epilepsia, Epilepsy & Behavior, the Current Opinions in Neurology, Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports, Practical Neurology, CNS Spectrums, and Journal of Gender Specific Medicine, and Neurology. Dr. Karceski is also the author of several book chapters and serves on the editorial board for the journal of the American Neurological Association, Neurology. He has been involved with the Epilepsy Foundation for many years.