You are here
Syed Amir Fazal Hoda, M.B., B.S.
Dr. Syed Hoda is a diagnostic surgical pathologist with a particular interest in breast pathology.
Dr. Hoda trained in anatomical and clinical pathology at Tulane University Affiliated Hospitals in New Orleans, LA (1985-1990). At Tulane, he trained under several notable pathologists including Drs. Richard Reed and Michael Gerber. Subsequently, he underwent subspecialty fellowship training in Cytopathology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, NY (1990-91) under leading cytopathologists including Drs. Steve Hajdu and Myron Melamed; and another year of subspecialty fellowship training in oncological surgical pathology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center with several outstanding oncological surgical pathologists including Drs. Juan Rosai, Paul Peter Rosen, Philip Lieberman, Steve Sternberg and Marc Rosenblum.
Dr. Syed Hoda has been associated with Weill Cornell Medical College and New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical College since 1992. He is certified (and has been re-certified, x2) by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomical Pathology, Clinical Pathology and Cytopathology.
Dr. Hoda has co-authored three books: Rosen's Breast Pathology (publication date March 2014), Breast Pathology: Diagnosis by Needle Core Biopsy (multiple editions), and The Pap Test. He has contributed over 150 publications in peer-reviewed journals. He is on the Editorial Board of Advances in Anatomic Pathology, American Journal of Clinical Pathology, American Journal of Surgical Pathology and The Breast Journal, and serves as Media Review Editor for American Journal of Clinical Pathology and as Book Review Editor for Advances in Anatomic Pathology.
Dr. Hoda is active on the regional, national and international lecture circuit; and has lectured at various pathology, medical oncology and surgery groups and forums; conducted short courses at various ASCP, CAP, IAP and USCAP meetings; and participated in educational conferences in several countries including Canada, Chile, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Peru, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Thailand and Venezuala.
Dr. Hoda has been regularly featured in New York Magazine as one of New York's Best Doctors for many years, including in 2013. He is currently serving as the Vice President of the esteemed multispecialty New York Metropolitan Breast Cancer Group, and has served the venerable New York Pathological Society for several years in various capacities.
Specialties & Expertise
- Anatomic Pathology
- Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
- Breast Pathology
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans
- Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology
Clinical & Academic Positions
Professor of Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.B.,B.S., Dow Medical College (Pakistan), 1983
Honors & Awards
New York Magazine Best Doctors: Multiple years, most recently 2013
M. Desmond Burke Award for Outstanding Contributions to Resident Education: 2007
AP-CP Resident: Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA.
Chief Pathology Resident: Tulane University Med Center, New Orleans, LA.
Cytopathology Fellowship: Memorial Sloan-Kettering, New York, NY.
Oncological Pathology Fellowship: Memorial Sloan Kettering, New York, NY.
Assistant Professor of Pathology: Cornell Medical College, New York, NY.
Associate Professor of Clinical Pathology: Cornell Medical College, New York, NY.
Professor of Clinical Pathology: Weill-Cornell Medical College, New York, NY (to date)