Dr. Syed Hoda is a diagnostic surgical pathologist with a particular interest in breast pathology.
Dr. Hoda trained in anatomical and clinical pathology at Tulane University Affiliated Hospitals in New Orleans, LA (1985-1990). At Tulane, he trained under several notable pathologists including Drs. Richard Reed and Michael Gerber. Subsequently, he underwent subspecialty fellowship training in Cytopathology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, NY (1990-91) under leading cytopathologists including Drs. Steve Hajdu and Myron Melamed; and another year of subspecialty fellowship training in oncological surgical pathology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center with several outstanding oncological surgical pathologists including Drs. Juan Rosai, Paul Peter Rosen, Philip Lieberman, Steve Sternberg and Marc Rosenblum.
Dr. Syed Hoda has been associated with Weill Cornell Medical College and New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical College since 1992. He is certified (and has been re-certified, x2) by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomical Pathology, Clinical Pathology and Cytopathology.
Dr. Hoda has co-authored three books: Rosen's Breast Pathology (publication date March 2014), Breast Pathology: Diagnosis by Needle Core Biopsy (multiple editions), and The Pap Test. He has contributed over 150 publications in peer-reviewed journals. He is on the Editorial Board of Advances in Anatomic Pathology, American Journal of Clinical Pathology, American Journal of Surgical Pathology and The Breast Journal, and serves as Media Review Editor for American Journal of Clinical Pathology and as Book Review Editor for Advances in Anatomic Pathology.
Dr. Hoda is active on the regional, national and international lecture circuit; and has lectured at various pathology, medical oncology and surgery groups and forums; conducted short courses at various ASCP, CAP, IAP and USCAP meetings; and participated in educational conferences in several countries including Canada, Chile, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Peru, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Thailand and Venezuala.
Dr. Hoda has been regularly featured in New York Magazine as one of New York's Best Doctors for many years, including in 2013. He is currently serving as the Vice President of the esteemed multispecialty New York Metropolitan Breast Cancer Group, and has served the venerable New York Pathological Society for several years in various capacities.
Specialties and Expertise
- Anatomic Pathology
- Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
- Breast Pathology
AP-CP Resident: Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA.
Chief Pathology Resident: Tulane University Med Center, New Orleans, LA.
Cytopathology Fellowship: Memorial Sloan-Kettering, New York, NY.
Oncological Pathology Fellowship: Memorial Sloan Kettering, New York, NY.
Assistant Professor of Pathology: Cornell Medical College, New York, NY.
Associate Professor of Clinical Pathology: Cornell Medical College, New York, NY.
Professor of Clinical Pathology: Weill-Cornell Medical College, New York, NY (to date)
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
New York Magazine Best Doctors: Multiple years, most recently 2013
M. Desmond Burke Award for Outstanding Contributions to Resident Education: 2007
- American Board of Pathology
- American Board of Pathology (Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology)
- American Board of Pathology (Cytopathology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Pathologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.B.,B.S., Dow Medical College (Pakistan), 1983
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical