Sebastian A. Mayer, M.D.
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
- Medical Oncology
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- M.D., University of Vienna Faculty of Medicine (Austria), 1998
Honors and Awards
Ruth Kirstein Award, NIH Training Grant in Cancer Biology
Best Resident of the Internal Medicine Clinic Award
St. Luke’s - Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York
23rd International Symposium on Radioactive Isotopes in Clinical Medicine and Research
Bad Gastein, Austria
Assistant Attending Physician
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Research Associate, Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Vienna, 1998-2000
Residency in Internal Medicine, St. Luke’s Hospital Center, New York, 2000-2003
Fellowship in Hematology/Oncology, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, New York, 2003-2006
Fellowship in Stem Cell Transplantation, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, 2007-2008
Sebastian Mayer has been an attending physician on the Blood and Marrow Transplantation service at Weill Cornell Medical Center since 2010, after working on the Leukemia Service for two years.
A native of Austria, he earned his MD at the University of Vienna with a Doctoral thesis in experimental nuclear medicine. After two years of nuclear medicine research in Vienna, Dr. Mayer completed his Internal Medicine residency at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital center in New York. During that time, he participated in research projects on the molecular biology of lymphoma at Mount Sinai Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
After a fellowship in Hematology/Oncology and a subsequent faculty appointment at Mount Sinai Medical Center, he completed a fellowship in Stem Cell Transplantation at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
His main research interests lie in the reversal of chemotherapy resistance in leukemia before stem cell transplant, specifically for patients with a high risk of disease recurrence. He also is an active investigator in the treatment of graft versus host disease, a feared complication of stem cell transplant, as well as the prevention and management of transplant rejection.
Dr. Mayer greatly enjoys the close interaction with his patients and also takes an active role in the education of junior physicians and medical students.