Rachel Smerd, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
- Primary Care Internist
- Primary Care
Before joining Weill Cornell Medicine, Dr. Smerd worked as a primary care doctor at the Manhattan Veterans Affairs Hospital and at Odyssey House, a therapeutic drug community in Spanish Harlem. She was named chief resident after completing her medical residency at New York University. Dr. Smerd studied medicine at the Sackler School of Medicine/NY State program in Tel Aviv, Israel. She has also lived in Kathmandu and traveled the countryside of Nepal researching Vitamin A deficiency. She earned her bachelor's degree from Vassar College, where she graduated with a major in Women's studies focusing on Anthropology. Though originally from Pittsburgh, Dr. Smerd now lives in Brooklyn with her husband and two children.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- American Board of Internal Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University (Israel), 2004
- B.A., Vassar College, 1995
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- * Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- * Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- * Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- * United Empire
- United Healthcare
- * United Healthcare Compass
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported