Specialties and Expertise
- Interstitial Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Fibrosis of Lung
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Emphysema, Unspecified
- Complications of Stem Cell Transplant
- HIV Pulmonary Complications
I’m committed to research in the application of cutting edge molecular techniques to advance the understanding of pathophysiology, as well as to further improve the diagnosis and treatment of lung disease.
Dr. Kaner is Associate Attending Physician at the NewYork-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center and Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine and Genetic Medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine.
Dr. Kaner is the Principal Investigator of the Weill Cornell Medicine site of the National Institute of Health (NIH)-sponsored Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Clinical Research Network, one of 11 in the US and the only center in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region of the country. He is the project leader of an NIH-sponsored study of the molecular basis of accelerated emphysema development in HIV-1 positive smokers, which is part of a Specialized Center of Clinically Oriented Research for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) directed by Dr. R. Crystal. He has served as principal investigator of NIH-sponsored basic research in mechanisms of vascular permeability in the lung and interactions of human alveolar macrophages with HIV-1. He has participated in multi-center research studies in severe sepsis and nosocomial pneumonia.
Stover DE and Kaner RJ. Pulmonary Toxicity in DeVita VT, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA, eds. Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology. 9th edition. Philadelphia, Pa: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011
Kaner RJ. Pulmonary Complications of Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplantation. Pulmonary Up-To-Date Series on CD, 1996-2013.
Kaner RJ.. Pulmonary Complications of Autologous Bone Marrow Transplantation. Pulmonary Up-To-Date Series on CD, 1996-2013.
A Placebo-Controlled Randomized Trial of Warfarin in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Noth I, Anstrom KJ, Calvert SB, de Andrade J, Flaherty KR, Glazer C, Kaner RJ, Olman MA; The Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Clinical Research Network (IPFnet). Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012 May 3.
Prednisone, azathioprine, and N-acetylcysteine for pulmonary fibrosis. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Clinical Research Network, Raghu G, Anstrom KJ, King TE Jr, Lasky JA, Martinez FJ. (Kaner RJ, collaborating investigator) N Engl J Med. 2012 May 24;366(21):1968-77
A Comparison of Seriously Ill Patients with or without AIDS Requiring Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation. J Dermot Frengley, M.D.; Giorgio R Sansone, Ph D; Kiranjit Uppal, M.P.H; John J Vecchione, M.D; Robert J Kaner, M.D J Crit Care. 2012 Dec;27(6):594-601
Mast Cells: A Pivotal Role in Pulmonary Fibrosis. Arul Veerappan, Nathan J. O’Connor, Jacqueline Brazin, Alicia C. Reid, Albert Jung, David McGee, Barbara Summers, Dascher Branch-Elliman, Brendon Stiles, Stefan Worgall, Robert J. Kaner and Randi B. Silver DNA AND CELL BIOLOGY Volume 32, Number 4, 2013 206–218
Effects of smoking on non-AIDS-related morbidity in HIV-infected patients. Shirley DK, Kaner RJ, Glesby MJ. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Jul;57(2):275-82.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1981)
Dalsemar Research Scholar Award: American Lung Association (1989)
Clinical Investigator Development Award: National Institutes of Health (1994)
Service Excellence Award, New York Presbyterian Hospital (2002)
Principal Investigator, Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Clinical Research Network: National Institutes of Health (2005)
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Genetic Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1982
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare