Richard Alan Friedman, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
- Adult Psychiatry
- General Psychiatry
- Personality Disorder
- Anxiety Disorder
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Mood Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
Richard A. Friedman, MD is Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Director of the Psychopharmacology Clinic. He specializes in Anxiety and Mood Disorders and has expertise in Psycho-Pharmacology and Refractory Depression.
Dr. Friedman is currently not accepting new patients. Please contact the Weill Cornell Specialty Center at (646) 962-2820 for referrals.
Dr. Friedman is also actively involved in clinical research of Mood Disorders. In particular, he is involved in several ongoing randomized clinical trials of both approved and investigational drugs for the treatment of major Depression, Chronic depression, and Dysthymia.
Dr. Friedman is a contributing Op-Ed writer at the New York Times where he writes on mental health, addiction, human behavior, and neuroscience.
Office hours are flexible:
Monday-Friday by appointment.
To schedule appointments:
Call - (888) 694-2255
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Psychiatrist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Clinical Psychiatry - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1982
- B.A., Duke University, 1978
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark