Richard Alan Friedman, M.D.
I am a Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and the Director of the Psychopharmacology Clinic. My specialties include anxiety and mood misorders, psycho-pharmacology and refractory depression.
Specialties and Expertise
- Adult Psychiatry
- General Psychiatry
- Personality Disorder
- Anxiety Disorder
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Mood Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
Richard A. Friedman, M.D. actively involved in clinical research of Mood Disorders. In particular, he is involved in several ongoing randomized clinical trials of both approved and investigational drugs for the treatment of major Depression, Chronic depression, and Dysthymia.
Dr. Friedman is a contributing Op-Ed writer at the New York Times where he writes on mental health, addiction, human behavior, and neuroscience.
Dr. Friedman is currently not accepting new patients. Please contact the Weill Cornell Specialty Center at (646) 962-2820 for referrals.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Psychiatry)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Psychiatrist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Clinical Psychiatry - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1982
- B.A., Duke University, 1978
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported