Specialties and Expertise
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Primary Care Internist
- Internal Medicine
- Obesity and Weight Control
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
- Obesity Medicine
- Thyroid Disease In Pregnancy
- Thyroid Disorder
- Primary Care
Dr. Rekha B. Kumar currently serves as an Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine and Attending Endocrinologist at the Weill Cornell Medical College and specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of various endocrine disorders, including obesity/weight management, type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), thyroid disorders, as well as metabolic bone disease.
Dr. Kumar completed her undergraduate studies at Duke University then received her masters degree in Physiology from Georgetown University. She continued on to receive her M.D. from New York Medical College and completed her residency training in Internal Medicine at the New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill-Cornell Medical College. Dr. Kumar obtained her clinical fellowship in the combined Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism program at the Weill-Cornell Medical College/New York Presbyterian Hospital and the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. Kumar has become a national leader on the topic of metabolism and women's health. Dr. Kumar served as the medical director of the American Board of Obesity Medicine and an Associate Editor of the journal Obesity. She is frequently quoted in the media on topics ranging from the diabetes epidemic in the United States to discussing fad diets and exercise trends.
Dr. Kumar has traveled abroad to India, China, and Tanzania in order to both learn and teach medicine to others and serves on the board of advisors to the Duke Global Health Institute.
Dr. Kumar is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology, Diabetes, & Metabolism, and Obesity Medicine. She practices both general medicine and endocrinology.
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism)
- American Board of Obesity Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., New York Medical College, 2007
- M.S., Georgetown University, 2003
- B.A., Duke University, 2002
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported