The care of the injured patient, especially those harmed by burns, is my life’s calling. Burn injuries affect not only the patient but their family and friends. I work with the amazing team members of the William Randolph Hearst Burn Center to provide comprehensive, well thought out, compassionate care through all phases of the burn injury experience from acute injury, recovery, and long term scar rehabilitation and reconstruction. I seek to bring the formidable knowledge and research resources of the Weill Cornell Medical Center to provide cutting edge treatments for the burn patients.
Specialties and Expertise
- Critical Care Medicine
- Surgical Critical Care
- Burn Surgery
- Wound Healing
- Burn Treatment
- Care of Burn
- Burn Scar
- Treatment of Burn Scar Using Laser
- Burn Reconstruction
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis-Erythema Multiforme Overlap Syndrome
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
Philip H. Chang MD is an Assistant Professor of Surgery in the division of Trauma, Burns, Critical Care, and Acute Care Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Assistant Attending Surgeon at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. A double board-certified surgeon and critical care intensivist, Dr. Chang specializes in the treatment of burns of all types for adults and children, burn surgery, surgical critical care, burn reconstruction, laser treatment of burn scars, and selected skin conditions that require the wound care expertise of a burn unit. He also has areas of special interest in surgical education, international burn care, scar rehabilitation, and burn patient advocacy.
Philip Chang was designated a White House Presidential Scholar back in 1990. He graduated B.A. cum laude from Harvard University in 1994, where he studied biochemical sciences. He attended the University of Alabama School of Medicine where he spent several years doing basic science research in cell motility and growth factor signaling supplemented with work at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Pittsburgh before graduating with an M.D. in 2004. His general surgery residency training was completed at the University of Illinois Hospital in Chicago, Illinois in 2008. He went on to further specialized fellowship training in burn surgery and trauma/surgical critical care at the Shriners Hospitals for Children-Northern California and the University of California at Davis Medical Center from 2009-2011.
Dr. Chang began his surgical career as an attending burn surgeon at the Massachusetts General Hospital Sumner Redstone Burn Center and the Shriners Hospital for Children-Boston. He was appointed an Instructor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He served as interim medical director of the pediatric burn service at Shriners-Boston from 2014-2015. Dr. Chang worked with a number of non-profit organizations to visit burn centers and help train burn teams in Guatemala, Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Colombia and Ghana. He has been recognized for his educational efforts in training medical professional at all levels, and was elected a member of The Academy at Harvard Medical School, an elite group of medical educators.
In 2016, Dr. Chang joined the burn teams at the Shriners Hospitals for Children-Cincinnati and the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. He cared for patients from over 22 U.S. states and international patients from several countries including Israel, Ivory Coast, Honduras, Guatemala, and Colombia. He treated hundreds of patients during his time at the Cincinnati Shriners, doing numerous reconstructive surgeries to restore range of motion and limb function as well as laser treatments to ameliorate the dyschromia and hypertrophy of burn scar.
Dr. Chang is an active member of many prestigious medical and surgical societies including the American Burn Association, the European Club for Pediatric Burns, the American College of Surgeons, and the Association for Academic Surgery. He has been published in multiple medical journals and authored textbook chapters.
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Surgery (Surgical Critical Care)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Surgery - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Alabama School of Medicine, 2004
- B.A., Harvard University, 1994
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported