Hello and welcome! When you visit our office at Weill Cornell Medicine, your eye health is our top priority. While many of our patients have glaucoma or are at-risk for glaucoma, we also provide care for general eye conditions such as cataracts. Our entire team is dedicated to providing you with the compassionate and personalized eye care that you deserve. We use the most current diagnostic and treatment technologies to preserve and restore your vision, tailoring our management to your individual needs. Thank you for considering me for your care, and I look forward to meeting with you.
Specialties and Expertise
- Cataract Surgery
- Laser Trabeculoplasty
- Laser Iridotomy
- Surgery For Glaucoma
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS)
- Glaucoma Suspect
- Clinical Research
Dr. Paul Petrakos is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medicine. He is a fellowship-trained glaucoma specialist, specializing in the evaluation and treatment glaucoma, including medical management, laser, and surgical procedures. He also performs cataract surgery and is up-to-date on the latest advances in minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS).
A native New Yorker, Dr. Petrakos graduated from Stony Brook University before attending the New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine. Here he served as an Academic Medicine Scholar and received a masters degree in Neuromusculoskeletal Sciences.
Dr. Petrakos completed his residency at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College. He then continued his training at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, completing his glaucoma fellowship and receiving specialized training in trabeculectomy, glaucoma drainage device implantation, laser trabeculoplasty and iridotomy, complex cataract extraction, laser-assisted cataract extraction, implantation of astigmatic (toric) and multi-focal intraocular lenses, and minimally invasive glaucoma surgery.
Dr. Petrakos is committed to providing personalized glaucoma and cataract care supplemented by the newest technologies, instruments, and techniques. He is an author and co-author of a number of journal articles and book chapters. His areas of clinical and research interest include ocular imaging, medical and surgical treatments of glaucoma.
Dr. Petrakos is currently accepting new patients.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine - Academic Medicine Scholar
Psi Sigma Alpha, National Osteopathic Honors Society
Resident Research Award, Weill Cornell Medical College Department of Ophthalmology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.S., New York Institute of Technology, 2013
- D.O., New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, 2013
- B.S., State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2006
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical