O. Wayne Isom, M.D.
Ours is truly an outstanding staff. The physicians, anesthesiologists, cardiologists, nurses and administrative staff are some of the most capable people in the country, and they are right here at Weill Cornell Medical Center. The quality of our care is the result of a team effort. I am not only speaking of the surgical team, I mean everyone--from the doctors to the people who clean the operating rooms. Being the best means taking pride in what you do, caring a little more and going a little further--everyone here does, and its evidence is in our results.
Dr. O. Wayne Isom is the Terry Allen Kramer Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Following his undergraduate studies at Texas Tech, Dr. Isom earned his medical degree at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in 1965. He then went on to finish a medical internship and general surgery residency at Parkland Hospital in Dallas; in 1970, he completed a cardiothoracic residency at New York University Medical Center. Dr. Isom joined the faculty at NYU School of Medicine, and, in 1978, he became Professor of Surgery and Director of the Cardiothoracic Training Program, a position he held for the next seven years.
In 1985, Dr. Isom was recruited to the New York-Cornell Medical Center (before The New York Hospital and Presbyterian Hospital merged to become New York Presbyterian Hospital) and assumed the Chairmanship of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery. Under his supervision, the Cardiothoracic surgeons at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center have performed over 40,000 open-heart procedures, with results ranking the center as one of the best in the country.
Over his 50-year career, Dr. Isom has been responsible for teaching third year medical students, as well as general surgery house staff. He has also been instrumental in training over 80 cardiothoracic surgeons who are now either practicing or teaching throughout the country. The medical students at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center have honored Dr. Isom in the past with the Cornell Medical College Third Year Teaching Award.
Dr. Isom is a member of numerous medical and surgical societies, including the American Association for Thoracic Surgery and the American College of Surgeons. He has been a Board Member of the American Heart Association in New York City for many years and in June 2012 named him "One of the 20 Champions of Heart & Stroke". Most recently Texas Tech University honored him with an Honorary Doctor of Science degree.
Dr. Isom is the father of five children and currently resides in Manhattan with his wife, Pat.
Dr. Isom performed David Letterman's quintuple bypass surgery.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- Aycock TM, Isom OW, Crenshaw CA, Rehfeldt FC: Monoplegia and false aneurysm. S Med J. 1971;64:1165-71.
- Isom OW, Williams CD, Falk EA, Glassman E, Spencer FC: Long term evaluation of cloth-covered metallic ball prostheses. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1972 Sept;64:354-67.
- Mills NL, Beaudet RL, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Hyperglycemia during cardiopulmonary bypass. Ann Surg. 1973 Feb;177(2):203-5.
- Isom OW, Williams CD, Falk EA, Glassman E, Spencer FC: Evaluation of anticoagulant therapy in cloth-covered prosthetic valves. Circ. 1973 Jul;48(l Suppl):III48-50.
- Williams CD, Cunningham JN, Falk EA, Isom OW, Chase RN, Spencer FC: Chronic infection of the costal cartilages after thoracic surgical procedures. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1973 Oct;66:592-598.
- Isom OW, Kutin ND, Falk EA, Spencer FC: Patterns of myocardial metabolism during cardiopulmonary bypass and coronary perfusion. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1973 Nov;66(5):705-721.
- Engelman RM, Brenner WI, Gouge TH, Reed GE, Boyd AD, Isom OW: Renal and hepatic dysfunction following cardiopulmonary bypass. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 1973;676-82.
- Rose MR, Glassman E, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Electrocardiographic and serum enzyme changes of myocardial infarction after coronary artery bypass surgery. Am J Cardiol. 1974 Feb; 33:215-220.
- Simberkoff MS, Isom OW, Smithivas T, Noriega ER, Rahal JJ: 2-stage tricuspid valve replacement for mixed bacterial endocarditis. Arch Int Med. 1974;133:212-216.
- Isom OW, Dembrow JM, Glassman E, Pasternack BS, Sackler JP, Spencer FC: Factors influencing long term survival after isolated aortic valve replacement. Circ. 1974 Aug;50(2 Suppl):II154-162.
- Glassman E, Spencer FC, Krauss KR, Weisinger B, Isom OW: Changes in the underlying coronary circulation secondary to bypass grafting. Circ. 1974 Aug;50(2Suppl):II80-3.
- Boyd AD, Engleman RM, Isom OW, Reed GE, Spencer FC: Tricuspid annuloplasty-five and one-half years' experience with 78 patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1974 Sep;68:344-351.
- Spencer FC, Isom OW, Glassman E, Boyd AD, Engleman RM, Reed GE, Pasternack BS, Dembrow JM: The long term influence of coronary bypass grafts on myocardial infarction and survival. Ann Surg. 1974 Oct;180:439-451.
- Mullin MJ, Engleman RM, Isom OW, Boyd AD, Glassman E, Spencer FC: Experience with open mitral commissurotomy in 100 consecutive patients. Surg. 1974 Dec;76(6):974-982.
- Isom OW, Spencer FC: The current status of bypass grafting for coronary artery disease. S Med J. 1975 Jul;68(7):897-907.
- Isom OW, Spencer FC, Glassman E, Dembrow J, Pasternack BS: Long-term survival following coronary bypass surgery in patients with significant impairment of left ventricular function. Circ. 1975 Aug;52(2 Suppl):I141-147.
- Tice DA, Zerbino VR, Isom OW, Cunningham JN, Engleman RM: Coronary artery bypass using frozen preserved saphenous vein allografts. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1976 Mar; 71(3):378-382.
- Reed GE, Boyd AD, Spencer FC, Engleman RM, Isom OW, Cunningham JN: The operative management of tricuspid regurgitation. Circ. 1976 Dec;54(6 Suppl):III96-98.
- Culliford AT, Cunningham JN, Zeff RH, Isom OW, Teiko P, Spencer FC: Sternal and costochondral infections following open-heart surgery: A review of 2,594 cases. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1976 Nov;72(5):714-726.
- Engelman RM, Bhat JG, Glassman E, Spencer FC, Boyd AD, Reed GE, Isom OW, Pasternack BS: The influence of diabetes and hypertension on the results of coronary revascularization. Am J Med Sci 1976 Jan-Feb;271(1):4-12.
- Isom OW, Spencer FC, Culliford AT: Coronary revascularization with significant impairment of left ventricular contractility. Cardiovasc Clin. 1977;8:265-272.
- Boyd AD, Spencer FC, Isom OW, Cunningham JN, Reed GE, Acinapura AJ, Tice DA: Infective endocarditis - an analysis of 54 surgically treated patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1977 Jan;73:23-30.
- Isom OW, Spencer FC, Glassman E, Teiko P, Boyd AD, Cunningham JN, Reed GE: Long-term results in 1375 patients undergoing valve replacement with the Starr-Edwards cloth-covered steel ball prosthesis. Ann Surg. 1977 Sep;186(3):310-323.
- Isom OW, Spencer FC, Glassman E, Culliford AT, Teiko P, Reed GE, Boyd AD: Does coronary bypass increase longevity? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1978 Jan;75(1):28-37.
- Culliford AT, Lipton M, Isom OW: Surgery for chronic constrictive pericarditis. Does surgical approach and degree of pericardial resection significantly influence outcome? NYS J Med. 1978 Sep;78(11):1719-1721.
- Culliford AT, Isom OW, Doyle EF: Pacemaker implantation in the extremely young - a safe and cosmetic approach. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1978 May;75(5):763-764.
- Culliford AT, Madden M, Isom OW, Glassman E: Intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation - refractory ventricular tachycardia. JAMA. 1978 Jan;30;239(5):431-432.
- Lieberman A, Hass WK, Pinto R, Isom OW, Kupersmith M, Bear G, Chase R: Intracranial hemorrhage and infarction in anti-coagulated patients with prosthetic heart valves. Stroke. 1978;9:18-24.
- Hines GL, Finnerty TT, Doyle EF, Isom OW: Near fatal hemolysis following repair of ostium primum atrial septal defect. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1978 Jan-Feb;19(1):7-10.
- Spencer FC, Isom OW: The influence of coronary bypass grafting on longevity. World J Surg. 1978 Nov;2(6):731-738.
- Culliford AT, Isom OW, Trehan NK, Doyle E, Gorstein F, Spencer FC: Benign tumors of right atrium necessitating extensive resection and reconstruction. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1978 Aug;76:178-182.
- Cunningham JN Jr, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Coronary artery surgery. Adv Surg. 1978; 12:347-87.
- Fox AC, Glassman E, Isom OW: Surgically remediable complications of myocardial infarction. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 1979 May-June;21:461-484.
- Culliford AT, Girdwodd RW, Isom OW, Krauss KR, Spencer FC: Angina following myocardial revascularization: Does time of recurrence predict etiology and influence results of operation? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1979 Jun;77:889-895.
- Gross RI, Cunningham JN, Snively S, Catinella FP, Nathan IM, Adams PX, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Long-term results of open mitral commissurotomy - ten year follow up of 202 patients. Am J Cardiol. 1981;47:821-825.
- Rose DM, Colvin SB, Culliford AT, Cunningham JN, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Long-term survival with partial left heart bypass following perioperative myocardial infarction and shock. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. April 1982;83(4):483-492.
- Culliford AT, Ayvaliotis B, Shemin RJ, Colvin SB, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Aneurysms of the ascending aorta and transverse arch: Surgical experience in 80 patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1982 May;83(5):701-710.
- Laschinger JC, Cunningham JN, Baumann FG, Isom OW, Knopp EA, Catinella FP, Nathan IM, Adams PX, Mendelsohn A, Spencer FC: Early open radical commissurotomy: Surgical treatment of choice for isolated mitral stenosis. Ann Thor Surg. 1982 Sep; 34(3):287-298.
- Rose DM, Colvin BS, Danilowicz D, Isom OW: Cardiac tamponade secondary to chylopericardium following cardiac surgery: Case report and review of literature. Ann Thor Surg. 1982 Sept;34(3):333-336.
- Rutkowski M, Doyle EF, Danilowicz E, Greco MA, Isom OW: Successful excision of an atrial fibroma in a four-month old male infant. Ped Cardiol. 1982;2:323-328.
- Culliford AT, Ayvaliotis B, Shemin RJ, Colvin SB, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Aneurysms of the descending aorta: Surgical experience in 48 patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1982 Jan;85(1):98-104.
- Landymore R, Isom OW, Barlam B: Management of patients with cold agglutins requiring open-heart surgery. Can J of Surg. 1983;26:79-80.
- Landymore R, Colvin SB, Isom OW, Culliford AT: The effect of nitroglycerin cardioplegia on myocardial cooling in patients undergoing myocardial revascularization. Ann Thor Surg. 1983;35:621-625.
- Rose DM, Colvin SB, Culliford AT, Isom OW, Cunningham JN, Glassman E, Spencer FC: Late functional and hemodynamic status of surviving patients following insertion of the left heart assist device. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1983 Nov;86:936-945.
- Cunningham JN, Laschinger JC, Krieger KH, Knopp EA, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Clinical use of pre-ischemic enhancement: Replenishment of myocardial ATP stores in hypertrophied right ventricles. Surg Forum. 1983;34:279-282.
- Laschinger JC, Cunningham JN, Isom OW, Nathan IM, Spencer FC: Definition of the safe lower limits of aortic resection during surgical procedures on the thoracoabdominal aorta: Use of somatosensory evoked potentials. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1983 Nov;2(5):959-965.
- Laschinger JC, Cunningham JN, Nathan IM, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Intraoperative identification of vessels critical to spinal cord blood supply -- use of somatosensory evoked potentials. Curr Surg. 1984 Mar-Apr;41(2):107-109.
- Danilowicz D, Ishmael RG, Doyle EF, Isom OW, Colvin SB, Greco MA: Use of saphenous vein allografts for aortopulmonary artery anastomoses in neonates with complex cyanotic congenital heart disease. Ped Cardiol. 1984 Jan-Mar;5(1):13-17.
- Slater J, Lightly GW, Winer HE, Kahn ML, Kronzon I, Isom OW: Doppler echo-cardiography and computed tomography in diagnosis of left coronary arteriovenous fistula. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1984 Dec;4(6):1290-1293.
- Spencer FC, Colvin SB, Culliford AT, Isom OW: Experiences with the Carpentier techniques of mitral valve reconstruction in 103 patients (1980-1985). J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1985 Sep;90(3):341-350.
- Peller OG, Gold JP, Isom OW: Patient ductus arteriosus associated with rheumatic mitral regurgitation in the adult. Amer J Cardiol. 1987 Oct;60:10, 924-926.
- Fantini GA, Zadeh BJ, Chiao J, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Shires GT: Effect of hypothermia on cellular membrane function during low flow extracorporeal circulation. Surg. 1987 Aug;102(2):132-139.
- Barie PS, Isom OW, Shires GT: Intra-abdominal complications of cardiopulmonary bypass surgery. SG&O. Sep 1987;165:251-254.
- Zadeh BJ, Holazo R, Conlon C, Lazenby WD, Isom OW, Krieger KH: A clinical evaluation of three modern blood oxygenator. Perf. 1987;263-270.
- Sehgal E, Sherman W, Isom OW, Meller J, Horowitz SF: Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm causing superior vena caval obstruction and effusive-constrictive pericarditis. J Nucl Med. 1987 May;28(5):918-21.
- Laschinger JC, Cunningham JN Jr, Baumann FG, Isom OW, Spencer FC: Monitoring of somatosensory evoked potentials during surgical procedures on the thoracoabdominal aorta. II. Use of somatosensory evoked potentials to assess adequacy of distal aortic bypass and perfusion after thoracic aortic cross-clamping. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1987 Aug;94(2):266-70.
- Levi R, Shen TY, Yee SJ, Robertson DA, Genovese A, Isom, OW, Krieger KH. Platelet activating factor: Effects on human and guinea pig heart preparations. New Horizons in Platelet Activating Factor Research. 1987;255-267.
- Gold JP, Mensah GA, Schreiber T, Isom OW: Acute purulent mediastinitis and sternal osteomyelitis after closed chest cardiopulmonary resuscitation: A case report and review of the literature. Ann Thor Surg. 1988 Sep;46:353-355.
- Nicholson JP, Krieger KH, Hartman B, Isom OW, Laragh JH: Cardiac arrest postoperatively in a patient infected with ascaris, the roundworm. Chest. 1989;Vol 96:922-23.
- Gold JP, Jasewicz M, Pulsinelli W, Brill P, Winchester P, Isom OW: The safety of perivascular hemostatic metallic surgical clips in patients undergoing high field strength magnetic resonance imaging. Ann Thor Surg. 1989 Nov;48:643-5.
- Roman MJ, Klein L, Devereux RB, Kligfield P, Niles N, Hochreiter C, Isom OW, Borer JSP: Reversal of left ventricular dilatation, hypertrophy, and dysfunction by valve replacement in aortic regurgitation. Am Heart J. 1989 Sep;118(3):553-563.
- Leitman MI, Paull DE, Isom OW: Acute intestinal infarction following cardiopulmonary bypass surgery. Cont Gastro. 1990 Jul-Aug;22-24.
- Lazenby DW, Russo I, Zadeh BJ, Zelano J, Ko W, Lynch C, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Treatment with desmopressin acetate in routine coronary artery bypass surgery to improve postoperative hemostasis. Circ. 1990 Nov;82(Suppl IV):IV413 -9.
- Lazenby WD, Ko W, Weksler BB, Weiner M, Zelano JA, Lynch C, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Platelet function and hemostasis after cardiopulmonary bypass. A comparison of hypothermic and normothermic cardiopulmonary bypass. Surg Forum. 1990;41:307-309.
- Fine SN, Gaynor ML, Isom OW, Dannenberg AJ: Carcinoid tumor metastic to the heart. Am J Med. 1990 Nov;89(5):690-2.
- Gold JP, Lazenby WD, Isom OW: Prosthetic valve endocarditis: Prevention and management. Inf Surg. 1991;10(1):15-45.
- Ko W, Hawes S, Lazenby DW, Calvano S, Shin YT, Zelano JA, Antonacci A, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Myocardial reperfusion injury: Platelet activating factor stimulates polymorphonuclear leucocyte hydrogen peroxide production during myocardial reperfusion. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1991 Aug;102(2):297-308.
- G Jones WG, Barber AE, Fahey TJ, Krieger KH, Shires GT, Isom OW: Cardiopulmonary bypass is associated with early gut barrier dysfunction. Surg Forum Vol 42:282-284, 1991.
- Zelano JA, Ko W, Lazzaro R, Lazenby WD, Topaz S, Kolff WJ, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Comparison of an extra-aortic counterpulsation device versus intra-aortic balloon pumping in severe cardiac failure. Trans Am Soc Artif Int Org. 1991 Jul-Sep;37(3):M342-344.
- Messina AG, Paranicas M, Fiamengo S, Yao FS, Krieger K, Isom OW, Devereux RB: Risk of dysphagia after transesophageal echocardiograohy. Am J Cardiol. 1991 Feb 1;67(4):313-4.
- Ko W, Kreiger KH, Lazenby WD, Shin YT, Goldstein M, Lazzaro R, Isom OW: Isolated coronary artery bypass grafting in one hundred consecutive patients. A multivariate analysis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1991 Oct;102(4):532-8.
- Lazenby WD, Ko W, Zelano JA, Lebowitz N, Shin YT, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Effects of temperature and flow rate on regional blood flow and metabolism during cardiopulmonary bypass. Ann Thorac Surg. 1992 Jun;53(6):957-64.
- Ko W, Zelano JA, Lazzaro R, Lazenby WD, Hamilton T, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Superiority of The University of Wisconsin solution over simple crystalloid for extended heart preservation: A study of left ventricular pressure-volume relationship. J ThoracCardiovasc Surg. 1992 May;103(5):980-92.
- Ko W, Zelano JA, Lazenby WD, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Optimal storage period for extended heart preservation with the University of Wisconsin Solution. A study of the left ventricular pressure-volume relationship. J Thorac Cardiovas Surg. 1992 Mar-Apr;33(2):204-210.
- Ko W, Lazenby WD, Lazzaro R, Zelano JA, Isom OW, Krieger KH: The effects of shaving methods and intraoperative irrigation on suppurative mediastinitis after cardiopulmonary bypass surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 1992 Feb;53:301-5.
- Isom OW, Rosengart TK: Percutaneous aortic valvuloplasty: off the bandwagon, again. J Amer Coll Card. 1992 Oct;20(4):804-5.
- Ko W, Gold JP, Lazzaro R, Zelano JA, Lang SJ, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Survival analysis of octogenarian patients with coronary artery disease managed by elective coronary artery bypass surgery versus conventional medical treatment. Circ. 1992 Nov;86(5 Suppl):II191-197.
- Zelano JA, Ko W, Lazzaro R, Lazenby WD, Topaz S, MS Kolff WJ, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Evaluation of an extraaortic counterpulsation device in severe cardiac failure. Ann Thor Surg. 1992 Jan;53(1):30-7.
- Ko W, Zelano JA, Lazenby WD, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Compositional analysis of The University of Wisconsin solution for extended myocardial preservation: A study of the left ventricular pressure-volume relationship. Circ. 1992 Nov;86(5 Suppl):326-332.
- Ko W, Krieger KH, Isom OW: Cardiopulmonary bypass procedures in dialysis patients. Ann Thor Surg. 1993 Mar;55(3):677-84.
- Gold JP, Violaris K, Engle MA, Klein AA, Ehlers KH, Lang SJ, Levin AR, Moran F, O'Loughlin JE, Snyder MS, Fatica N, Notterman DS, Isom OW: A five-year clinical experience with 112 Blalock-Taussing Shunts. J Card Surg. 1993;8:9-17.
- Ko W, Zelano JA, Fahey LA, Berman K, Lang D, Isom OW, Krieger KH: The effects of amrinone versus dobutamine on myocardial mechanics and energetics after hypothermic global ischemia. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1993 Jun;105(6):1015-24.
- Helm RE, Gold JP, Rosengart TK, Zelano JA, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Erythropoietin in cardiac surgery. J Card Surg. 1993 Sep;8(5):579-606.
- Rosengart TK, Krieger KH, Lang SJ, Gold JP, Altorki NA, Roussel M, MSN; Debois WJ, BS; Isom OW: Reoperative coronary artery bypass surgery. Improved preservation of myocardial function with retrograde cardioplegia. Circ. 1993 Nov;88(5 Pt 2):II330-5.
- Ko W, Zelano JA, Fahey AL, Berman K, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Ischemic tolerance of the arrested heart during warm cardioplegia. Eur J Cardio Surg. 1993;7(6):295-299.
- Ko W, Krieger KH, Isom OW: Collective Review: A historical perspective to current review of myocardial protection in cardiac operation. SG & O. 1993 Nov;177(5):529-43.
- Ko W, Zelano J, Isom OW, Krieger KH: The effects of warm versus cold blood cardioplegia on endothelial function, myocardial function, and energetics. Circ. 1993 Nov;88(5 Pt 2):II359-65.
- Ko W, Lang D, Hawes AS, Zelano JA, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Platelet-activating factor antagonism attenuates platelet and neutrophil activation and reduces myocardial injury during coronary reperfusion. J Surg Res. 1993 Nov;55(5):504-15.
- Jones WG, Hoffman L, Devereux RB, Isom OW, Gold JP: Staged approach to combined repair of pectus excavatum ansions of the heart. Ann Thor Surg. 1994 Jan;57(1):212-214.
- Messina JJ, O'Loughlin J, Isom OW, Klein AA, Engle MA, Gold JP: Glutaraldhyde treated autologous pericardium in complete repair of tetralogy of fallot. J Card Surg. 1994 May;9(3):298-303.
- Gadaleta D, Fahey LA, Verma M, M.S., Ko W, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Davis JM: Neutrophil leukotriene generation increases after cardiopulmonary bypass. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1994 Oct;108(4):642-7.
- Rosengart TK, Helm RE, Klemperer J, Krieger KH, Isom OW: Combined aprotinin and erythropoietin use for blood conservation: Results with Jehovah's Witnesses. Ann Thor Surg. 1994 Nov;58(5):1397-403.
- Rosengart TK, Duenas M, BS, Winkles J., Krieger KH, Isom OW: Ischemia is associated with increased expression of the angiogenic protein acidic fibroblast growth factor: Implications for "biologic" revascularization. Surg Forum. 1994;45:392-395.
- Helm RE, Klemperer JD, Rosengart TK, Gold JP, Thomas S, Lang SJ, Altorki NK, Peterson P, Weksler BB, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Large volume intraoperative autologous donation: Successful red cell preservation. Surg Forum. 1994;45:249- 252.
· Fong Y, Talmor M, Krieger K, Isom OW: Internal mammary artery is a safe conduit for repeat coronary revascularization. J Am Coll Surg. 1994 Mar;178(3):245-8.
· Klemperer JD, Klein I, Gomez M, R.N., Helm RE, Ojamaa K, Thomas SJ, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Thyroid hormone treatment after coronary-artery bypass surgery. NEJM. 1995 Dec 7;333(23):1522-7.
· Gold JP, Krieger KH, Isom OW, et al.: Improvement of outcomes after coronary artery bypass: A randomized trial comparing intraoperative high versus low mean arterial pressure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995;110:1302-14.
· Klemperer JD, Zelano J, Helm RE, Berman K, B.S., Ojamaa K, Klein I, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Triiodothyronine improves left ventricular function without oxygen wasting effects after global hypothermic ischemia. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995 Mar;109(3):457-65.
· Gold JG, Charlson ME, Krieger KH, Isom OW, et al: Improvement of outcomes after coronary artery bypass. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995;110:1302-14.
· Velasco FT, Ko W, Rosengart TK, Altorki NK, Lang SJ, Gold JP, Krieger KH, Isom OW: Cost containment in cardiac surgery: Results with a critical pathway for coronary bypass at The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. Best Practices and Benchmarking in Healthcare. 1996 Jan-Feb;1(1):21-28.
· DeBois WJ, Sukhram Y, McVey J, Helm RE, Gold JP, Rosengart TK, Isom OW, Krieger KH. Reduction in homologous blood transfusion using a low prime circuit. J Extra-Corp Tech. 1996;28(2):58-62.
· Klemper JD, Klein IL, Ojamaa K, Helm RE, Gomez M, Isom OW, Kreiger KH: Triiodothyraonine therapy lowers the incidence of atrial fibrillation after cardiac operations. Ann Thor Surg. 1996 May;61(5):1323-7; discussion 1328-9.
· Ko W, Isom OW. Cardiopulmonary bypass procedures in patients with cold-reactive hemagglutination. J Cardiovasc Surg. 1996 Dec;37:623-6.
· Magovern CJ, Mack CA, Zhang J, Hahn RT, Ko W, Isom OW, Crystal RW and Rosengart TK. Direct in vivo gene transfer to canine myocardium utilizing a replication-deficient adenovirus vector. Ann Thor Surg. 1996 Aug;62:425-435.\
· ]Mack CA, Mastrangeli A, Mago ern CJ, Carpenter H, Kovesdi I, Wickham T, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Sero-switch" strategy for effective repetitive use of in vivo adenovirus vector-mediated gene transfer to provide persistent expression in the lung. Surg Forum. 1996;47:312-324.
- Helm RE, Klemperer JD, Rosengart TK, Gold JP, Peterson P, Debois W, Altorki NK, Lang S, Thomas S, Isom OW and Krieger KH. Intraoperative autologous donation preserves red cell mass but does not decrease postoperative bleeding. Ann Thor Surg. 1996 Nov;62(5):1431-41.
- Mack CA, Magovern CJ, Hahn RT, Sanborn T, Lanning L, Ko W, Isom OW, Rosengart TK: Channel patency and neovascularization after transmyocardial revascularization using an excimer laser: results and comparisons to nonlased channels. Circ. 1997 Nov 4;96(9 Suppl):II-65-9.
- Mack CA, Song WR, Carpenter H, Wickham TJ, Kovesid I, Harvey BG, Magovern CJ, Isom OW, et al: Circumvention of anti-adenovirus neutralizing immunity by administration of an adenoviral vector of an alternate serotype. Hum Gene Ther. 1997 Jan 1;8(1):99-109.
- Mueller RL, Rosengart TK, Isom OW. The history of surgery for ischemic heart disease. Ann Thor Surg. 1997 March;63(3):869-78.
- Barbut D, Lo Y, Gold JP, Trifiletti RR, Yao FSF, Hager DN, Hinton RB, Isom OW. Impact of embolization during coronary artery bypass grafting on outcome and length of stay. Ann Thor Surg. 1997 Apr;63(4):998-1002.
- Fang WC, Helm RE, Krieger KH, Rosengart TK, DeBois WJ, Sason C, Lesser ML, Isom OW and Gold JP. The impact of minimum hematocrit during cardiopulmonary bypass on mortality patients undergoing coronary artery surgery. Circ. 1997 Nov 4;96(9 Suppl):II-194-9.
- Magovern CJ, Mack CA, Zhang J, Rosengart TK, Isom OW and Crystal RG. Regional angiogenesis induced in non-ischemic tissue by an adenovirus vector expressing vascular endothelial growth factor. Hum Gene Ther. 1997 Jan;8(2):215-227.
- Rosengart TK, Helm R, DeBois W, Garcia N, Krieger KH and Isom OW. Open heart operations without transfusion using a multimodality blood conservation strategy in 50 Jehovah's Witness patients: implications for a "bloodless" surgical technique. J Am Coll Surg. 1997 June; 184(6):618-29.
- Rosengart TK, Budenbender KT, Duenas M, Mack CA, Zhang Q, Isom OW. Therapeutic angiogenesis: a comparative study of the angiogeneic potential of acidic fibroblast growth factor and heparin. J Vasc Surg. 1997 Aug; 26(2):302-312.
- Charlson ME, Hartman GS, Peterson JC, Szatrowski TP, Williams-Russo P, Isom OW, Gold JP. Letters to the Editors: Reply: Improvement of outcomes after coronary artery bypass. J Thorac Cardiov Surg. 1997;113:6, p.1118.
- Barbut D, Lo YW, Hartman GS, Yao FSF, Trifiletti RR, Hager DN, Hinton RB, Gold JP, Isom OW: Aortic atheroma is related to outcome but not numbers of emboli during coronary bypass. Ann Thor Surg. 1997 Aug;64(2):454-9.
- Lee LY, Zhou X, Patel SR, Polce DR, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Prolonged transgene expression in the rat myocardium mediated by an adeno-associated viral vector: implications for chronic cardiac therapy. Surg Forum. 1998;49:215-6.
- Patel SR, Lee LY, Scwarz EA, Hahn RT, Jones E, Devereux RB, Kovesdi I, Hackett N, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Adenovirus-mediated angiogenic therapy produces minimal inflammation and no functional compromise follwing direct myocardial injection: implications for clinical use. Surg Forum. 1998;49:221-3.
- Klemperer JD, Ko W, Krieger KH, Connolly M, Rosengart TK, Altorki NK, Lang S, Isom OW. Cardiac surgery in patients with cirrhosis. Ann Thor Surg, 1998 Jan;65;85-87.
- Helm RE, Rosengart TK, Klemperer JD, Gomez M, DeBois WJ, Gold JP, Ko W, Velasco F, Altorki NA, Lang SA, Thomas S, Isom OW and Krieger KH. Comprehensive multimodality blood conservation: 100 consecutive CABG operations without transfusion. Ann Thor Surg. 1998 Jan;65(1):125-136.
- Mack CA, Patel SR, Schwarz EA, Zanzonico P, Hahn RT, Illercil A, Devereux RB, Goldsmith SJ, Christina TF, Sanborn TA, Kovesdi I, Hackett N, Isom OW. Biological bypass with the use of adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of the complementary deoxyribonucleic acid for vascular endothelial growth factor 121 improves myocardial perfusion and function in the ischemic porcine heart. J Thor Cardiovas Surg 1998 Jan; 115:168-177.
- Rosengart TR, DeBois W, O'Hara M, Helm R, Gomez M, Lang SJ, Altorki N, Ko, W, Hartman GS, Isom OW, Krieger KH. Retrograde autologous priming for cardiopulmonary bypass: a safe and effective means of decreasing hemodilution and transfusion requirements. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1998 Feb;115(2):426-438.
- Borer JS, Hochreiter C, Herrold E McM, Supino P, Aschermann M, Wencker D, Devereux RB, Roman MJ, Szulc M, Kligfield P, Isom OW. Prediction of indications for valve replacement among asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic patients with chronic aortic regurgitation and normal left ventricular performance. Circ. 1998 Feb 17;97(6):525-34525-34.
- Mack CA, Magovern CJ, Budenbender KT, Patel SR, Schwartz EA, Zanzonico P, Ferris B, Sanborn T, Isom P, Ferris B, Sanborn T, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Salvage angiogenesis induced by adenorvirus-medicated gene transfer of vascular endothelial growth factor protects against ischemic vascular occlusion. J Vasc Surg. 1998 Apr;27(4):699-709.
- Barbut D, Grassineau D, Lis E, Heier L, Hartman G, Isom OW. Posterior distribution of infarcts in strokes related to cardiac operations. Ann Thor Surg. 1998 Jun;65:1656-9.
- Rosengart TK, O'Hara M, Lang SL, Ko W, Altorki N, Krieger KH, Isom OW. Outcome analysis of 245 CarboMedics and St. Jude valves implanted at the same institution. Ann Thor Surg. 1998 Nov;66:1684-91.
- Hannan EL, Racz MJ, McCallister BD, Ryan TJ, Arani DT, Isom OW, Jones RH. A comparison of three-year survival following coronary artery bypass graft surgery and percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999 Jan;33;63-72.
- Patel SR, Lee LY, Mack CA, Polce DR, El-Sawy T, Hackett NR, Ilercil A, Jones EC, Hahn RT, Isom OW, Rosengart TK, Crystal RG. Safety of direct myocardial administration of an adenovirus vector encoding vascular endothelial growth factor 121. Hum Gene Ther. 1999 May 20;10(8):1331-48.
- Rosengart TK, Lee LY, Patel SR, Sanborn TA, Parikh M, Bergman GW, Hachamovitch R, Szulc M, Kligfield PD, Okin PM, Hahn RT, Devereux RB, Post MR, Hackett NR, Foster T, Grasso TM, Lesser ML, Isom OW, Crystal RG. Angiogenesis gene therapy: phase I assessment of direct intramyocardial administration of an adenovirus vector expressing VEGF121 cDNA to individuals with clinically significant severe coronary artery disease. Circ 1999 Aug 3;100(5):468-74.
- Rosengart TK, Lee LY, Patel SR, Kligfield PD, Okin PM, Hackett NR, Isom OW, Crystal RG. Six-month assessment of a phase I trial of angiogenic gene therapy for the treatment of coronary artery disease using direct intramyocardial administration of an adenovirus vector expressing the VEGF121 cDNA. Ann Surg 1999 Oct;230(4):466-72.
- Charlson M, Krieger KH, Peterson JC, Hayes J, Isom OW. Predictors and outcomes of cardiac complications following elective coronary bypass grafting. Proc Assoc Am Phys. 1999 Nov-Dec;111(6):622-32.
- Hannan EL, Racz Michael, Jones Robert, Gold Jeffrey, Ryan Thomas, Hafner Jean-Paul, Isom OW. Predictors of Mortality for Patients Undergoing Cardiac Valve Replacements in New York State. Ann Thor Surg. 2000;70:1212-8.
- Borer J, Supino P, Hochreiter C, Herrold E, Devereux R, Roman M, Kligfield P, Krieger K, Isom OW, Yin A. Impact of Coronary Disease on Survival After Valve Replacement for Non-Ischemic Valve Disease. Proc 3rd Int Congr Cor Art Dis. 2000;173.
- Hamaway A, Samy SA, Lee LY, Polce DR, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Transmyocardial revascularization and administration of adenovirus encoding for VEGF 121 act synergistically to increase survival in an experimental animal model of severe myocardial ischemia. American College of Surgeons: Surgical Forum, 2000;51:110-111.
- Wencker D, Borer JS, Hochreiter C, Devereux RB, Roman MJ, Kligfield P, Supino P, Krieger K, Isom OW. Preoperative predictors of late postoperative outcome among patients with nonischemic mitral regurgitation with 'high risk' descriptors and comparison with unoperated patients. Cardiol 2000;93(1-2):37-42.
- Lee LY, Patel SR, Hackett NR, Mack CA, Polce DR, El-Sawy T, Hachamovitch R, Zanzonico P, Sanborn TA, Parikh M, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Focal angiogen therapy using intramyocardial delivery of an adenovirus vector coding for vascular endothelial growth factor 121. Ann Thor Surg. 2000 Jan;69(1):14-24.
- Singh RG, Cappucci R, Kramer-Fox R, Roman MJ, Kligfield P, Borer JS, Hochreiter C, Isom OW, Devereux RB. Severe mitral regurgitation due to mitral valve prolapse: risk factors for development, progression, and need for mitral valve surgery.Am J Cardiol. 2000 Jan 15;85(2):193-8.
- Girardi L, Isom OW. Repair of traumatic aortic valve disruption and descending aortic transection. Ann Thor Surg 2000 Apr;69(4):1251-3.
- Lee LY, O'Hara MF, Finnin EB, Hachamovitch R, Szulc M, Kligfield PD, Okin PM, Isom OW, Rosengart TK. Transmyocardial laser revascularization with excimer laser: clinical results at 1 year. Ann Thor Surg. 2000 Aug;70(2):498-503.
- Hannan EL, Racz MJ, Jones RH, Gold JP, Ryan TJ, Hafner JP, Isom OW. Predictors of mortality for patients undergoing cardiac valve replacements in New York State. Ann Thor Surg 2000 Oct;70(4):1212-8.
- Pickering TG, Isom OW, Bergman GW, Barbieri JM. Pheochromocytoma of the heart. Am J Cardiol. 2000 Dec 1;86(11):1288-9, A10.
- Lee LY, DeBois W, Krieger KH, Girardi LN, Russo L, McVey J, Ko W, Altorki NK, Brodman RA, Isom OW. The effects of platelet inhibitors on blood use in cardiac surgery. Perf. 2002 Jan; 17(1):33-7.
- Rosengart TK, Finnin EB, Kim DY, Samy SA, Tanhehco Y, Ko W, Lang SJ, Krieger KH, Isom OW. Open heart surgery in the elderly: results from a consecutive series of 100 patients aged 85 years or older. Am J Med. 2002 Feb 1;112(2):143-7.
- Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Altorki NA, Mack CA, Lee LY, Isom OW. Ruptured descending and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms. Ann Thor Surg. Oct 2002; 74:1066-1070.
- DeBois WJ, Liu J, Lee LY, Girardi LN, Mack C, Tortolani A, Krieger KH, Isom OW. Diagnosis and treatment of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Perf. Mar 2003; 18(1):47-53.
- DeBois WJ, Girardi LN, Lee LY, Mack C, Elmer B, McCuster K, McVey J, Krieger KH, Isom OW. Negative fluid displacement: an alternative method to assess patency of arterial line cannulation. Perf. 2003 Mar; 18(1):67-70.
- Charleson ME and Isom OW. Care after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery. NEJM. 2003; 348: 1456-63.
- Bacchetta M, Ko W, Girardi LN, Mack CA, Altorki NK, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Lee LY. Outcomes of cardiac surgery in nonagenarians: a 10-year experience. Ann Thor Surg. 2003;75:1215-1220.
- Hannan EL, Racz MJ, Walford G, Ryan TJ, Isom OW, Bennett E, Jones RH. Predictors of readmission for complications of coronary artery bypass graft surgery. JAMA. 2003;290:773-780.
- Isom OW, Bacchetta M, Korst R, Altorki NK, Port J, Mack CA. Resection of a symptomatic pericardial cyst using the computer-enhanced da Vinci Surgical System. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003 Jun;75(6):1953-5.
- Hannan EL, Chuntao W, Ryan TJ, Bennett E, Culliford AT, Gold JP, Hartman A, Isom OW, Jones RH, McNeil B, Rose EA, Subramanian VA. Do hospitals and surgeons with higher coronary artery bypass graft surgery volumes still have lower risk-adjusted mortality rates? Circ. 2003;108:795-801.
- Racz MJ, Hannan EL, Isom OW, Subramanian VA, Jones RH, Gold JP, Ryan TJ, Hartman A, Culliford AT, Bennett E, Lancey RA, Rose EA. A comparison of short- and long-term outcomes after off-pump and on-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery with sternotomy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004; 43:557-64.
- Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Lee LY, Mack CA, Tortolani AJ, Isom OW. Management strategies for type A dissection complicated by peripheral vascular malperfusion. Ann Thorac Surg 2004;77:1309-14.
- Wu C, Hannan EL, Ryan TJ, Bennett E, Culliford AT, Gold JP, Isom OW, Jones RH, McNeil B, Rose EA, Subramanian VA. Is the Impact of Hospital and Surgeon Volumes on the In-Hospital Mortality Rate for Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery Limited to Patients at High Risk? Circ 2004;110:784-89.
- Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Mack CA, Lee LY, Tortolani AJ, Isom OW. Does cross-clamping the arch increase the risk of descending thoracic and thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair? Ann Thorac Surg 2005;79:133-8.
- Hannan EL, Ryan TJ, Bennett E, Culliford AT, Gold JP, Isom OW, Jones RH, McNeil B, Rose EA. Long-term outcomes for coronary artery bypass grafting versus stent implantation. NEJM 2005;352:2174-83.
- DeBois WJ, Liu J, Lee LY, Girardi LN, Ko W, Krieger KH, Isom OW. Cardiopulmonary bypass in patients with pre-existing coagulopathy. JECT 2005;37:15-22.
- Bacchetta MD, Girardi LN, Southard EJ, Mack CA, Ko W, Tortolani AJ, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Lee LY. Comparison of open versus bedside percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy in the cardiothoracic surgical patient: outcomes and financial analysis. Ann Thorac Surg 2005;79:1879-85.
- Mack CA, Milla F, Ko W, Girardi LN, Lee LY, Tortolani AJ, Mascitelli J, Krieger KH, Isom OW. The surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation using argon-based cryoablation during concomitant cardiac procedures. Circ 2005;112[Suppl I]:I-1-I-6.
- Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Mack CA, Isom OW. The no-clamp technique for valve repair or replacement in patients with a porcelain aorta. Ann Thor Surg 2005;80:1688-92.
- Hanna EL, Wu C, Bennett EV, Carlson RE, Culliford AT, Gold JP, Higgins RSD, Isom OW, Smith CR, Jones RH. Risk stratification of in-hospital mortality for coronary artier bypass graft surgery. JACC 2006;47:661-8.
- Milla F, Skubas N, Briggs WM, Girardi, LN, Lee LY, Wilson K, Tortolani, AJ, Krieger, KH, Isom OW, Mack CA. Epicardial beating heart cryoablation using a novel argon-based cryoclamp and linear probe. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006;131:403-11.
- Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Mack CA, Lee LY, Tortolani, AJ, Isom OW. Reoperations on the ascending aorta and aortic root in patients with previous cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2006;82:1407-12.
- DeBois W, Liu J, Elmer B, Ebrahimi H, Voevidko L, Lee LY, Krieger KH, Isom W, Girardi LN. Heparin sensitivity test for patients requiring cardiopulmonary bypass. JECT 2007;38:307-309.
- Charlson ME, Peterson JC, Krieger KH, Hartmann GS, Hollenberg JP, Segal AZ, Parikh M, Thomas SJ, Donahue RG, Purcell MH, Pirraglia PA, Isom OW. Improvement of outcomes after coronary artery bypass II: a randomized trial comparing intraoperative high versus customized mean arterial pressure. J Card Surg. 2007 Nov-Dec;22(6):465-72.
- Ullery BW, Peterson JC, Milla F, Wells MT, Briggs W, Cirardi LN, Ko W, Tortolani AJ, Isom OW, Krieger KH. Cardiac Surgery in Select Nonagenarians: Should we or shouldn't we? Ann Thorac Surg. 2008 Mar;85(3):854-60.
- Catanzaro D, Borer JS, Ene AE, Hong J, Stuart C, Carter J, Herrold E, Supino P, Ko W, Lazar J, Salemi A, Girardi L, Krieger K, Isom OW. Relative expression of fibronectin and collagen I mRNAs is related to left ventricular diastolic dimension in myocardial biopsies from patients with either aortic regurgitation or aortic stenosis. Circulation 2009; 120: S830.
- Supino PG, Borer JS, Franciosa JA, Preibisz JJ, Hochreiter C, Isom OW, Krieger KH, Girardi LN, Bouraad D, Forur L. Acceptability and psychometric properties of the Minnesota living with heart failure questionnaire among patients undergoing heart valve surgery: validation and comparison with SF-36. J Card Fail. 2009 Apr;15(3):267-77.Epub 2008 Dec 12.Bacchetta MD, Salemi A, Milla F, Hong MK, Tio F, Zhou Y, Chen R, Southard E, Lee LY, Mack CA, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Ko W, Borer JS, Catanzaro DF. Low-dose spironolactone: effects on artery-to-artery vein grafts and percutaneous cornonary intervention sties. Am J Ther. 2009 May-June;16(3):204-14.
- Supino PG, Borer JS, Preibisz JJ, Franciosa JA, Isom OW, Krieger JH, Girardi LN, Herrold EM.Women have greater mid-term quality of life benefit than men aftervalvular surgery. J Am Cardiol. 2011;57:1363.
- Olafiranye O, Hochreiter C, Borer JS, Supino PG, Herrold EM, Kligfield P, Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Isom OW. Prognostic value of nonsustained ventricular tachycardia and systolic dysfunction after surgery for non-ischemic mitral regurgitation. To be published in a special edition of Cardiology 2012 April
- Borer JS, Supino PG, Herrold EM, Innasimuthu A, Hochreiter C, Krieger KH, Girardi LN,Isom OW. Survival after aortic valve replacement for aortic regurgitation: prediction frompre-operative contractility measurement. To be published in a special edition of Cardiology 2012, April.
Honors and Awards
Texas Tech University, Distinguished Alumnus Award 1996
Cornell Medical College Third Year Teaching Award, Class of 1996
Helen Keller Services for the Blind Achievement Award, Contributions in the Medical Sciences, April 1997
Phi Gamma Delta Outstanding Alumnus Award, Texas Tech University, October 1998
Scientific Guest Speaker, Texas Surgical Society, October 1999
National Marfan Foundation, Hero with a Heart Award, December 2000
For Achievement in Cardiovascular Science and Medicine, Bugher Foundation Award, February 8, 2000
2001 Humanitarian Award, NYSAE Education and Research Foundation and Larry King Cardiac Foundation,
Distinguished Alumnus Lecture, Parkland Surgical Society, June 2003
Maurice R. Greenberg Distinguished Service Award, April 2004
Second Annual Covenant Heart Institute Michael E. DeBakey, MD, Distinguished Lecturer March 2005
Distinguished Service Award 2007, American Heart Association 11th Annual Heart of the Hamptons Gala
Castle Connolly 2011, National Physician of the Year Award for Clinical Excellence
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. 2001 - 2011, America's Top Doctors
National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations 2011 2011, Ellis Island Medal of Honor Award
American Heart Association June 2012, One of 20 Champions of Heart & Stroke
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Surgery, Thoracic Cardiovascular
- Heart Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Heart Failure
- Cardiac Valve Surgery
- Heart Valve Repair
- Minimally Invasive Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Off Pump Coronary Bypass Surgery
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Thoracic Aneurysms and Dissections
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Mitral/Aortic Valve Replacement
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Aortic and Mitral Valve Surgery
- Cardiac Valve Replacement
- Bicuspid Aortic Valve
- Bloodless Surgery
- Thoracic/Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass
- Heart Valve Disease
- Mitral Valve Reconstruction
- Open Heart Surgery
- Heart Valve Surgery
- Valve Reconstruction/Repair
- Valve Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Valve Repair
- Heart Valve Replacement
- Surgery, Thoracic
- M.D., University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, 1965