Norman Latov, M.D., Ph.D.
Norman Latov, MD, PhD is Professor of Neurology and Neuroscience, and Director of the Peripheral Neuropathy Clinical and Research Center at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Latov is a graduate of Columbia College, received the MD, PhD degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, served as Medical Intern at Boston City Hospital, and completed his residency in Neurology at the Neurological Institute of the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, where he also served as Chief Resident. Following a research fellowship in Immunology, he joined the faculty of Columbia University, and in 1994 was appointed Professor of Neurology.
Dr. Latov joined the department of Neurology and Neuroscience of the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2001, where he heads the Peripheral Neuropathy Clinical and Research Center. His clinical and laboratory research interests are in Peripheral Neuropathy and Neuroimmunology, focusing on the diagnosis and and treatment of inflammatory neuropathies. His laboratory is credited with the discovery of anti-MAG and GM1 ganglioside antibodies that are implicated in the pathogenesis of autoimmune neuropathies, and for developing blood tests that are currently used to diagnose these conditons. He lectures widely, and has over 200 publications, including research articles, reviews, editorials, chapters and books.
Dr. Latov was a founding Board member and Medical and Research Director of the Neuropathy Associaiton, which he continue to serve on the National Advisory Council. His book "Peripheral Neuropathy: When the Numbness, Weakness and Pain Won't Stop" (American Academy of Neurology) was written with the aim of demistifying the illness for patients and family members.
Dr. Latov has been selected as one of America's or New York Metro Area's Top Doctors, by Castle Connolly, annually since 1998.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Blue Priority Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Myoneural Disorder
- B.A., Columbia College, 1970
- M.D., Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1975