Babak Navi, M.D., M.S.
Specialties and Expertise
- CNS Vasculitis
- Cerebral Vascular Malformation
- Cryptogenic Stroke
- Intracerebral Hemorrhage
Babak Navi, MD, MS
Babak Navi, M.D., M.S. received his medical degree from New York University, where he graduated with honors. He completed a residency in neurology at Weill Cornell Medical Center and served as the Chief Resident in his final year. He completed a fellowship in vascular neurology at the University of California, San Francisco, where he also became certified in comprehensive neurosonology. In 2011, Dr. Navi joined the neurology faculty at Weill Cornell Medical College. Here, he received a Masters of Science in Research from the Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences. Dr. Navi is currently an Associate Professor of Neurology and Neuroscience and the Division Chief of Stroke and Hospital Neurology. He also serves as the Medical Director of the Weill Cornell Stroke Center and Acting Director of the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Mobile Stroke Unit Program.
Dr. Navi is an expert on the relationship between cancer and stroke. He has published numerous studies on this topic and led the first randomized trial to compare different blood thinning strategies for patients with cancer and stroke. Dr. Navi has also conducted research studies on stroke of undetermined cause, stroke during pregnancy, cerebrovascular presentations of dizziness, and physicians’ ability to prognosticate in severe brain injury. His work has been published in leading medical journals, including the NEJM, JAMA, JACC, Neurology, Annals of Neurology, JAMA Neurology, Stroke, and Critical Care Medicine. Dr. Navi has been awarded several research grants during his career, including from the NIH, PCORI, and foundations. He has considerable experience in conducting clinical trials and served as the Cornell Site Principal Investigator for the landmark POINT and BEST-MSU trials. Dr. Navi is an Associate Editor for the journal Neurohospitalist and an editorial board member for JAMA Neurology. He received the Young Heart Award by the American Heart Association New York Chapter in 2017.
1. Navi BB, Reiner AS, Kamel H, Iadecola C, Okin PM, Elkind MSV, Panageas KS, DeAngelis LM. Risk of arterial thromboembolism in patients with cancer. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:926-938.
2. Navi BB, Reiner AS, Kamel H, Iadecola C, Elkind MSV, Panageas KS, DeAngelis LM. Association between incident cancer and subsequent stroke. Ann Neurol. 2015;77:291-300.
3. Navi BB, Marshall RS, Bobrow D, Singer S, Stone JB, DeSancho MT, DeAngelis LM. Enoxaparin vs. aspirin in patients with cancer and ischemic stroke: the TEACH pilot randomized clinical trial. JAMA Neurol. 2018;75:379-381.
4. Kamel H, Navi BB, Sriram N, Hovsepian DA, Devereux RB, Elkind MSV. Risk of a thrombotic event after the 6-week postpartum period. N Engl J Med. 2014;370:1307-1315.
5. Navi BB, Singer S, Merkler AE, Cheng NT, Stone JB, Kamel H, Iadecola C, Elkind MS, DeAngelis LM. Recurrent thromboembolic events after ischemic stroke in patients with cancer. Neurology. 2014;83:26-33.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha Society, NYU School of Medicine, 2004
NYU School of Medicine Excellence in Neurology Award, 2005
Distinguished Housestaff Award, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2008
Cornell Neurology Residents' Housestaff Teaching Award, 2009
International Stroke Conference Chair's Choice Oral Abstract, 2010
Certified by the American Society of Neuroimaging in Comprehensive Neurosonology, 2010
AHA Best of Specialty Conferences Abstract, 2010, 2011
NIH KL2 grant through the Weill Cornell CTSC, 2012-2014
Weill Cornell CTSC Research Scholar Honors Program, 2013
Cornell Neurology Residents' Faculty Teaching Award, 2013
Florence Gould Endowment for Discovery in Stroke, 2014
NIH K23 grant from the NINDS, 2015
AHA/ASA NYC Chapter Young Heart Award, 2017
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Neurology)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Vascular Neurology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Neurologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Neurology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Associate Professor of Neuroscience - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.S., Weill Graduate School of Medical Sciences of Cornell University, 2015
- M.D., New York University School of Medicine, 2005
- B.A., Emory University, 2001
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.