Specialties and Expertise
- Kidney Transplant
- Transplant Nephrology
- Transplantation Nephrology
- Kidney Transplantations
- Transplant, Kidney
Manikkam (Suthan) Suthanthiran, MD was born in Madras, India. He received his medical degree from the University of Madras and completed his Internal Medicine Residency training at Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan. He was a Nephrology Fellow at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Suthanthiran holds the Stanton Griffis Distinguished Professorship in Medicine, and Professorships in Biochemistry and Surgery in Medicine at Cornell University Medical College. He is the Founding Chairman of the Department of Transplantation Medicine, and Chief of Nephrology and Hypertension at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Suthanthiran serves as the Co-Chair of the Executive Transplantation Council of the Multi-Organ Program of Columbia and Cornell, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Recipient of a Top 10 Clinical Research Award in the USA from the Clinical Research Forum (Published 2013; Awarded 2014)
American Society of Transplantation Mentoring Award, 2014
Maharshi Sushruta Pioneer in Transplantation Award, 2011
NIH, NIAID Merit Award, 2009
K.S. Chugh Oration Gold Medal, Indian Society of Nephrology, 2004
Distinguished Achievement Award, American Society of Transplantation, 2003
P. Bramaya Sastry Memorial Oration Gold Medal, 2002
Pioneer in Medicine Award, National Kidney Foundation of New York/New Jersey, 2001
Stanton Griffis Distinguished Professor of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, 1999
Lifetime Achievement Award, Indian Society of Transplantation, 1997
Transplant Established Investigator Award, American Society of Transplant Physicians, 1997
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Nephrology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Medicine in Surgery - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Stanton Griffis Distinguished Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Professor of Biochemistry - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.B.,B.S., Kilpauk Medical College, Madras University (India), 1970
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- United Empire
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.