I consider it a privilege to take care of people and take great pride in providing patients with minimally invasive surgical options with equivalent results and faster recoveries. I strive to make individual plans of care for each patient, aiming for the best and safest results. "What would you do if this were your relative," is an easy question that frequently arises, and my goal is to always practice medicine with that guiding principle.
Specialties and Expertise
- Interventional Oncology
- Radiology, Vascular/Interventional
- Pain Management
- Tumor Embolization
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization
- MRI Guided Focused Ultrasound Surgery
- Iliac Vein Stenosis, Right
- IVC Filter Retrieval
- Iliac Vein Stenosis, Left
- Vein Stenosis
- Varicocele Embolization
- Embolization, Kidney, Native
- Liver Embolization
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Nerve Block
- Pelvic Congestion Syndrome
Dr. Marc H. Schiffman is Assistant Professor of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Assistant Attending Radiologist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus. He is a member of the Division of Interventional Radiology and performs a wide array of interventional radiology procedures.
Dr. Schiffman earned his B.S. degree from Cornell University, Ithaca, NY in 1997. He was awarded his M.D. degree, in 2003 from the State University of New York (SUNY) Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse, NY. He received a commendation for top clinical performance and was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society.
After a year (2003-2004) as an intern New York Hospital-Queens in Flushing, NY, Dr. Schiffman completed his radiology residency training (2004-2008) in Diagnostic Radiology at the Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY. This was followed by a Fellowship in Interventional Radiology, also at Mount Sinai, from 2008 to 2009.
Dr. Schiffman achieved Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology from the American Board of Radiology in 2008. Dr. Schiffman was then recruited to the full-time faculty at Weill Cornell Medical College-NYPH in July 2009. He has performed the first adrenal radiofrequency ablation, liver, kidney and bone microwave ablations, balloon retrograde transvenous variceal obliteration, and laparoscopic renal cancer cryosurgery at New York Hospital. He has successfully completed the world's first pediatric percutaneous construction of an absent Inferior Vena Cava. Dr. Schiffman has been invited to speak about renal cancer cryosurgery, uterine fibroid and varicocele embolization at National and International medical conferences. He is currently the Executive Co-Director of the Weill Cornell Medicine Fibroid and Adenomyosis Program and is the only physician in the Tri-state region performing noninvasive MR-guided focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroids and adenomyosis. He recently successfully performed the first prostate embolization at NYP, and will be developing a research and clinical program in this area.
To schedule an Interventional Radiology appointment, please contact the registrar at (646) 962-6762.
To speak to Interventional Radiology doctors, please call (212) 746-2600 or (212) 746-1866.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Dr. Schiffman was selected to lead the East Coast Stand Up To Cancer Bone Biospy Protocol for Prostate Cancer Metastases overseeing physicians at Mass General, University of Michigan, Royal Marsden, Memorial Sloan Kettering and the University of Wisconsin Medical Centers.
- American Board of Radiology
- American Board of Radiology (Diagnostic Radiology)
- American Board of Radiology (Vascular & Interventional Radiology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Radiologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Radiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 2003
- B.S., Cornell University, 1997
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical