Specialties and Expertise
- Infections In Immunocompromised Patients
- Staphylococcal Infection
- Skin Infection
- Bone and Joint Infections
- Viral Infection
My passion for pediatric infectious diseases emerged from the desire to help children and to understand the complex relationship between infections and the host in order to best prevent and treat pediatric infections. My clinical interests include infections in immunocompromised hosts, Staphylococcal infections, and community- and hospital-acquired pneumonia.
Dr. Karen Acker is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine and Assistant Attending at Phyllis and David Komansky Children's Hospital at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
She received her B.S. in biology at Davidson College in Davidson, North Carolina, and then returned to her home state of New York for her medical training. She received her medical degree (M.D.) at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY, and completed her residency in pediatrics at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College, followed by her fellowship in pediatric infectious diseases at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center. During her fellowship, she developed clinical and research interests in Staphylococcal infections and infections in immunosuppressed patients.
Dr. Acker is board-certified in pediatrics and board-eligible for pediatric infectious diseases.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 2012
- B.S., Davidson College, 2007
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY