Locations and Appointments
- Molecular Imaging
- Nuclear Medicine
- Diagnostic Radiology
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Radiologist - Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Associate Attending Physicist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Radiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Ph.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2001
- B.S., Brown University, 1992
My vision for our Nuclear Medicine & Molecular Service is to translate the best science into practice. This starts with a focus on clinical excellence, and developing a culture of mentorship of the junior faculty and trainees who will initiate the next practice-changing diagnostics beyond fluoro-deoxyglucose (FDG) positron emission tomography (PET). This next phase will require establishing viable, reimbursable therapeutics and establishing a firm connection with non-imaging sciences. Finally, we must also engage our patients and community to ensure that this advanced imaging meets the quality metrics that will clearly alter the practice of medicine.
Joseph Osborne M.D., Ph.D. is the Chief of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging and an Associate Professor of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medicine. He is an Associate Attending Radiologist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Osborne earned his M.D. at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons and his PhD in Biochemistry at Columbia’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in New York, NY. After an internship in the department of Internal Medicine at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C., Dr. Osborne completed his residency training in Diagnostic Radiology at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital followed by a fellowship training in Nuclear Medicine. Dr. Osborne also completed post-doctoral training at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, NY.
Dr. Osborne is the Clinical Chief of the Molecular Imaging Innovation Institute (MI3) and the Director of the MI4 (laboratory for MI3 and inclusion) where his goal as a physician-scientist is to promote practical value-added molecular imaging that is closely aligned with precision medicine. In line with this goal he is currently the principle investigator on an Academic Industrial Partnership RO1 grant “A new technique to make 68Ga-labeled pharmaceuticals widely available for clinical use.”
He also has extramural duties as a grant reviewer for the National Institutes of Health as a tenured reviewer on the MEDI panel (Medical Imaging and Device) as well as for the Innovation award from the Damon Runyon Cancer Foundation.
Over his career, he has had a strong leadership role in physician training and mentoring, serving as Program Director of Nuclear Medicine Residency Program at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center initially under the former Division Director Dr. Stanley Goldsmith as well as an additional three years in a similar role at Memorial Sloan Kettering.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans