Specialties and Expertise
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Adult Psychiatry
- Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (CBT)
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Medication Management
- Family Therapy
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Anxiety and Depression
- Post-Partum Depression
- Mood Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Parent-Child Relationship Problem
- Psychotherapy and Medical Illness
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Eating Disorder
- Abuse, Drug or Alcohol
Jacob R. Messing, M.D. is an Instructor in Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medicine and an Assistant Attending Psychiatrist in the Emergency Department at New York-Presbyterian Hospital specializing in Child, Adolescent, and Adult Psychiatry. He treats patients of all ages, from infancy to adulthood, in his faculty practice on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. He provides individual and family therapy, as well as diagnostic evaluations and treatment with medication.
A Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in adult and child and adolescent psychiatry, Dr. Messing completed his undergraduate degree in Classical Languages and Literature at the University of Chicago. He went on to earn his medical degree at UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School where he was awarded a medical student prize for his research at The Autism Center on an immunological model of stereotypic behaviors. Dr. Messing then completed his Psychiatry Internship, Residency, and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, a teaching hospital of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. As a fellow, he received a staff award for outstanding contribution to the welfare of families. Dr. Messing is licensed to prescribe Suboxone (buprenorphine) for patients with substance dependence. His most recent research has included a project through the federally funded HEARTS Program (Healing Emotions and Achieving Resilience to Traumatic Stress) which will be used to improve the treatment of children and families affected by abuse, neglect, and exposure to traumatic events.
Dr. Messing is currently pursuing advanced training in psychotherapy at Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research. He was also recently appointed as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at UMDNJ-New Jersey Dental School where he teaches fellows in the Post Graduate Program in Orofacial Pain. His unique psychiatry lectures for dentists focus on substance abuse, the psychological aspects of chronic pain, and psychosomatic medicine.
Dr. Messing welcomes new patients. Please call (646) 535-0117 to schedule an appointment.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Psychiatrist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2007
- B.A., University of Chicago, 2001
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark