Specialties and Expertise
- Hearing Loss
Dr. Joseph Montano is Chief of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology at New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center. He received his MA degree from New York University, his Ed.D. in Audiology from Teacher's College Columbia University, and is certified in Audiology (CCC-A) through the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA). He serves on the New York State Licensure Board and is a member of the ASHA Legislative Council.
Prior to coming to Weill Cornell, Dr. Montano was an Associate Professor at Long Island University/C.W. Post, and for 17 years was Director of the Department of Communication Disorders at Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital. Dr. Montano's clinical expertise is audiologic rehabilitation with particular interest in adjustment to adult onset hearing loss, hearing assistive technology systems and hearing aids. He is the current coordinator of the ASHA Special Interest Division on Aural Rehabilitation.
Dr. Montano holds memberships in: ASHA, the American Academy of Audiology, Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology, American Society on Aging and the New York State Speech language and Hearing Association. He was named Fellow of the American Speech Language Hearing Association, and holds Honors of the New York State Speech Language Hearing Association( NYSSLHA). He is the recipient of the ASHA New York State Clinical Achievement Award, the NYSSLHA Distinguished Service Award, and the Nitchie Award for Adult Aural Rehabilitation from the League for the Hard of Hearing. He was also honored at the ARA Institute 2021.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Professional Associate - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Audiology in Clinical Otolaryngology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- Ed.D., Columbia University, Teachers College, 1993
- M.A., New York University, 1977
- B.A., Queens College, City University of New York, 1975
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.