Specialties and Expertise
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Status Asthmaticus
- Respiratory Failure
- Mechanical Ventilation
- Simulation Training In Medical Education
My interest in pediatric critical care was sparked during my residency, when I found myself attracted to the physiologic and pathophysiologic basis of the management of critically ill patients. Since that time my passion for the care of critically ill children has only grown. Over the years, I have come to consider it a privilege to care for the most precious members of our society because each patient care encounter represents an opportunity to make a durable impact on families, irrespective of the outcome.
In addition to the provision of excellent patient care, I am deeply committed to medical education, primarily at the graduate level but I also have teaching responsibilities at the undergraduate level as well. I serve as the Fellowship Program Director for the Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Fellowship and serve as part of the core teaching faculty for the General Pediatric Residency.
It is by virtue of my role as a clinician-educator that I continually seek to add value to the Department of Pediatrics and to my patients and colleagues within the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
Dr. Joy Howell is Vice Chair for Diversity in the Department of Pediatrics and Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine. She is also Associate Attending at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Howell received her medical degree (M.D.) at the State University of New York Health Science Center in Brooklyn, NY and completed her residency in pediatrics at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. She returned to New York City to complete a Fellowship in Pediatric Critical Care at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Following her fellowship training, she served as Site Director for the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at the former New York Hospital of Queens for five years (presently New York Presbyterian-Queens).
As a junior faculty member, Dr. Howell enjoyed participating in fellow, resident and medical student education both at Weill Cornell as well as New York Hospital of Queens. She received the Award for Teaching Excellence in 2006 and 2010. She has served as the Program Director for the Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Fellowship since 2007. She remains active in the education of medical students, residents, and fellows; her teaching has also come to include PICU nursing staff.
Her research during fellowship involved mechanisms of lung injury, with a special interest in in Asthma and Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure. Since completion of her fellowship, Dr. Howell has contributed or authored publications pertaining to care in the PICU including that surrounding status asthmaticus, status epilepticus, emergency airway management, and critical illness in oncology and bone transplant patients. Her present research centers around simulation education and its application to pediatric post graduate education as well as to multidisciplinary education and teamwork training in the pediatric intensive care unit.
For her commitment to providing excellent patient care and providing team-based education, she was a recipient of the Physician-Of-The-Year Award in 2012.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2003
- Award for Teaching Excellence, Department of Pediatrics ,Weill Medical College of Cornell University, June 2006
- Best Doctors in America 2007- Present
- Award for Teaching Excellence, Department of Pediatrics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University June 2010
- Fellow, American College of Critical Care Medicine, 2011
- Physician of the Year Award, Department of Nursing , New York Presbyterian Hospital, 2012
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Associate Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Attending Pediatrician - Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Education and Training
- M.D., State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 1995
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY