Joseph Comunale, M.D.
Dr. Comunale is Associate Professor of Clinical Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Associate Attending Radiologist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. He achieved Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology in 1994 and a Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Neuroradiology in 1996 and was recertified in 2007. Dr. Comunale has particular interests in Emergency Neuroradiology and in Multiple Sclerosis Imaging. He is the Physician Leader of Weill Cornell Imaging at NYP at the Weill Greenberg Center location. Dr. Comunale performs a variety of brain, head and neck, and spine imaging including MRI, MRA, CT, CTA and procedures.
Specialties and Expertise
- Neuro Radiology
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- CT (Computed Tomography)
- CAT Scan (CT Scan)
- PET (Positron Emission Tomography)
- Neuro Imaging
- Brain MRI
- MRA of Brain
- MRI Spine
- MR Spectroscopy
- Magnetic Resonance Angiography
- Brain CT
- CT Angiogram Head
- CT Head and Neck
- CT Spine
- CT Neck
- CTA Neck
- Lumbar Puncture
- Disease of Brain
- Neurodegenerative Disorder
- Cerebral Aneurysm
- Spinal Disease
- Traumatic Brain Injury
Dr. Joseph Comunale is Associate Professor of Clinical Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Associate Attending Radiologist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. He is a member of the Division of Neuroradiology at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell and Chief of the Division of Outpatient Imaging. He is also a Consultant in Radiology and Imaging at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
In 1985, Dr. Comunale earned his B.S. in Biochemistry and a B.A. in Spanish Language Studies from the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He was awarded his M.D. degree in 1989 from the University of Rochester School of Medicine after completing the “Rochester Plan,” an early selection to medical school program.
After a general surgery internship (1989-1990) at North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY, Dr. Comunale served as a resident in Diagnostic Radiology at Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA (1990-1994) and was elected as Chief Radiology Resident 1993-1994. Dr. Comunale then did a Fellowship in Neuroradiology at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center from 1994-1996.
Dr. Comunale achieved Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology in 1994. He achieved a Certificate in Added Qualification (CAQ) in the sub-specialty of Neuroradiology in 1996 and was recertified in 2007.
Dr. Comunale performs a variety of neurologic and spine imaging (MRI, MRA, CT, CTA and procedures). In addition to providing clinical care, Dr. Comunale holds various leadership postitions. He is an active and enthusiastic teacher of medical students, radiology residents and neuroradiology fellows and is a mentor to medical students, residents, and neuroradiology fellows. He is both a local and international speaker on topics in Neuroradiology.
- American Board of Radiology
- American Board of Radiology (Neuroradiology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Professor of Clinical Radiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Associate Attending Radiologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 1989
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported