Jason A. Spector, M.D., FACS
Dr. Jason Spector's primary clinical interests include reconstructive microsurgery of the head & neck, breast and lower extremities as well as cosmetic surgery. He is a nationally-renowned board-certified plastic surgeon, and an Associate Professor of Surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Medical Medical Center.
Dr. Spector was recently featured in the award-winning ABC-TV "NY Med" documentary series. To view his episode, click here abc.go.com/watch/ny-med/SH55214626/VD55227680/episode-7.
Dr. Spector was also named as one of "America's Best Doctors" in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 by both Castle Connolly and US News and World Report. He was also named "Top Doctor in NY Metro Area" by Castle Connolly, and selected as a " New York Superdoctor," in 2012, 2013 and 2014, an honor accorded just 5% of physicians. Dr. Spector was selected in 2014 as one of NY's "Best Doctors" by New York Magazine.
Dr. Spector was the recipient of the prestigious 2013 World Technology Network Award in Health & Medicine, being recognized for his innovative research which was chosen as most likely to have long term significance
To see a video profile of Dr. Spector, click here www.youtube.com/watch
Dr. Spector plays a major role in physician training, and he is widely published, with more than 100 papers and three book chapters. In 2009, he was named Academic Scholar of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons, the most prestigious American award for a developing academic plastic surgeon. In 2011, he won the National Endowment for Plastic Surgery award. Dr. Spector is a member of many professional medical societies including the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American College of Surgeons, the Society of University Surgeons, the American Association for Academic Surgery and the Plastic Surgery Research Council. He serves on the editorial board of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. In addition to his clinical responsibilities, Dr. Spector is the Director and Principal Investigator of the Laboratory for Bioregenerative Medicine and Surgery (LBMS) at Weill Cornell Medical Center. The LBMS focuses on novel approaches for tissue engineering as well as studies on wound healing and ischemia reperfusion injury. Dr. Spector has numerous active collaborations with faculty at the Biomedical Engineering College at Cornell University which aim to translate cutting edge technologies to the clinical arena.
A native of New York City, he completed his undergraduate degree at Cornell University in 1991, where he graduated with distinction and was named to Cornell's Golden Key National Honor Society. Dr. Spector graduated from New York University School of Medicine in 1996, where he was a member of the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society and winner of the Valentine Mott Award for his outstanding research. In 1999, he won the Best Resident Research Presentation at the Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons, and in 2003 he won the Best Research Presentation at the New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons' Residents Competition.
Dr. Spector trained in both general surgery and plastic surgery at the New York University Medical Center. He completed a fellowship in reconstructive microsurgery, also at NYU Medical Center. In addition, Dr. Spector completed a postdoctoral research fellowship at the Laboratory of Developmental Biology Repair, under the direction of Michael T. Longaker, M.D. at NYU Medical Center.
For more information about Dr. Spector's research, please visit the Laboratory for Bioregenerative Medicine Surgery website.
To read the LA Times article about Jason Spector's research, click here
For Dr. Spector's publications, click here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Spector%20JA
To see a video profile of Dr. Spector
Dr. Spector recently published an important paper in a prestigious scientific journal about his breakthrough research in creating a bioengineered ear, which generated worldwide media coverage. To read the Economist article on Dr. Spector, click here: http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21575745-new-ways-make-living-tissue-artificially-fit-print
To view the NY 1 interview with Dr. Spector on his bioengineered ear, click here: http://www.ny1.com/content/ny1_living/health/177636/new-bio-technology-effort-crafts-human-ears
To view the Reuters video on Dr. Spector's bioengineered ear, click here http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/04/23/reuters-tv-3d-printer-produces-biologically-sound-a?videoId=242423273&videoChannel=118065
To view the WABC-TV story on Dr. Spector's bioengineered ear, click here:
To read the press release on Dr. Spector's bioengineered ear, click here:
Dr. Jason Spector is a nationally recognized clinician, researcher and educator. He has collaborated with scientists from Cornell University's School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Biomedical Engineering on important research projects. He holds 2 patents, and has been an integral part several Cornell University-Weill Cornell Medical College translational research teams. He participates in the NIH and Howard Hughes Medical Institute sponsored Clinical Summer Immersion for Biomedical Engineering Program, mentoring engineering doctoral students. Since 2007, he has been a lecturer at Cornell University's Biomedical Engineering Science and Technology course, "Approaches to Problems in Human Needs." Dr. Spector serves as an Ad-Hoc reviewer for six prestigious medical journals, and has presented at national and international medical meetings. He recently served as Moderator of the Emerging Technologies Section, at the American Surgical Congress in 2011.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
at the National Library of Medicine.
1. Glat, PM, Longaker MT, Jelks EB, Spector JA, et al: Periorbital Melanocytic Lesions: Excision and Reconstruction in Forty Patients. 1998 Plast Reconstr Surg 102: 19-27
2. Glat, PM, Freund RM, Spector JA, et al: A classification of plagiocephaly utilizing a three-dimensional computer analysis of cranial base landmarks. Ann Plast Surg. 1996 May: 36(5): 469-74
3. Glat, PM, Spector JA, et al: The management of pigmented lesions of the nail bed. Ann Plast Surg. 1996 Aug: 37(2): 125-34
4. Greenwald JA, Mehrara BJ, Spector JA, et al: Biomecular Mechanisms of Calvarial Bone Induction; Immature vs. Mature Dura Mater. 2000 Plastic Reconstr Surg 105: 1382-1392.
5. Spector, JA, Mehrara BJ, Luchs JS, Greenwald JA, Faganholz PS, Saadeh PB, Steinbrech DS, Longaker: Expression of Adenovirally Delivered Gene Products in Healing Osseous Tissues. Ann Plast Surg 2000 May: 44(5): 522-8.
6. Saadeh PB, Mehrara BJ, Steinbrech DS, Spector JA, et al: Mechanisms of Fibroblast Growth Factor-2 Modulation of Vascular Endxothelial Growth Factor Expression By Osteoblastic Cells. Endocrinology 2000 Jun: 141(6): 2075-83
7. Steinbrech DS, Mehrara BJ, Saadeh PB, Greenwald JA, Spector JA, et al: VEGF Expression in and Osteoblast-like Cell Line Is Regulated By A Hypoxia Response Mechanism. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 2000 Apr: 278(4): C853-60
8. Saadeh PB, Mehrara BJ, Steinbrech DS, Dudziak ME, Greenwald JA, Luchs JS, Spector JA, et al: Transforming Growth Factor-Beta 1 Modulates The Expression of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor By Osteoblasts. Am J Physiology 1999 Oct 277: C628-C637
9. Spector JA, Luchs JS, Mehrara BJ, Greenwald JA, Smith LP, Longaker MT: Expression of Bone Morphogenetic Proteins During Membranous Bone Healing. Plast Reconstr Surg 2001 Jan: 107(1):124-34
10. Greenwald JA, Luchs JS, Mehrara BJ, Spector JA, et al: "Pumping the Regenerate": An Evaluation of Oscillating Distraction Osteogenesis in the Rodent Mandible. Ann Plast Surg 2000 May; 44(5): 516-21
11. Spector, JA, Mehrara BJ, Greenwald JA, Saadeh PB, Steinbrech DS, Smith LP, Longaker MT: A Molecular Analysis of the Isolated Rat Posterior Frontal and Sagittal Sutures: Differences in Gene Expression. Plast Reconstr Surg 2000 Sep;106(4): 852-61
12. Spector, JA, Longker MT: Re: In vitro analysis of distraction osteogenisis. J Craniofac Surg 2000 Sep;11(5):509-10 (Invited Discussion)
13. Steinbrech DS, Mehrara BJ, Saadeh PB, Greenwald JA, Spector JA, et al: Hypoxia Increases Insulin-like Growth Factor Gene Expression in Primary Rat Osteoblasts. Ann Plast Surg 2000 May: 44(5): 529-34
14. Greenwald JA, Mehrara BJ, Spector JA, et al: Immature Vs. Mature Dura Mater II: Differential Expression of Genes Important to Calvarial Re-Ossification. Plast Reconstr Surg 2000 Sep; 106(3): 630-8
15. Warren SM, Mehrara BJ, Steinbrech DS, Paccione MF, Greenwald JA, Spector JA, Longaker MT: Rat Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis: Part III. Gradual Distraction vs. Acute Lengthening. Plast Reconstr Surg 2001 Feb;107(2): 441-53
16. Greenwald JA, Mehrara BJ, Spector JA: et al: Regional Differentiation of Cranio Suture-Associated Dura Mater In Vivo and In Vitro: Implications for Suture Fusion and Patency. J Bone Miner Res. 2000 Dec; 15(12): 2413-30
17. Spector, JA, Warren, SM, Greenwald, JA, Detch, RC, Bouletreau, PB, Crisera, FE, Longaker, MT: Fibroblast Growth Factor-2 Downregulates Expression of the Homeobox Gene Msx2 in Osteoblasts. 2000 Plastic Surg Forum 23: 84-7
18. Spector, JA, Mehrara, BJ, Greenwald, JA, Saadeh, PB, Steinbrech, DS, Bouletreau, PJ, Smith, LP, Longaker, MT: Osteoblast Expression of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor is Modulated by the Extracellular Microenvironment. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2001 Jan; 280(1): C72-C80
19. Greenwald, JA, Mehrara, BJ, Spector, JA et al: In vivo modulation of FGF-Biologic Activity Alters Cranial Suture Fate. Am Journal of Pathology 2001 Feb; 158(2): 441-452
20. Bouletreau, PJ, Steinbrech, DS, Spector, JA et al: Gene Expression of Transforming Growth Factor-b3 and Tissue Inhibitor of Metalloproteinase-1 During Membranous Fracture Repair. J Craniofacial Surg 2000 11(6): 521-526
21. Fagenholz PJ, Warren SM, Greenwald JA, Bouletreau PJ, Spector JA, et al. Osteoblast gene expression is differentially regulated by TGF-beta isoforms. J Craniofac Surg 2001 Mar;12(2):183-90
22. Warren, SM, Greenwald, JA, Spector, JA et al: New Developments in Cranial Suture Research. Plast Reconstr Surg 2001 Feb; 107(2):523-40
23. Spector, JA, Greenwald, JA, Warren, SM, Mehrara, BJ, Fagenholz, PJ, Bouletreau, PJ, Crisera, FE, Longaker, MT: Co-culture of Osteoblasts with Immature Dural Cells Causes an Increased Rate and Degree of Osteoblast Differentiation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002 Feb;109(2):631-42
24. Paccione, MF, Mehrara, BJ, Greenwald, JA, Spector, JA et al: Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis in the Rat: Latency, Rate and Rhythm Determine the Adaptive Response. J Craniofacial Surg 2001 Mar;12(2):175-82
25. Warren, SM, Steinbrech, DS, Mehrara, BJ, Saadeh PB, Greenwald JA, Spector, JA, Bouletreau, PJ, Longaker, MT: Hypoxia regulates gene expression in rat osteoblasts. J Surg Res 2001 Jul;99(1):147-55
26. Spector, JA, Greenwald, JA, Warren, SM, Bouletreau, PJ, Detch, RC, Fagenholz, PJ, Crisera, FE, Longaker, MT: Dura Mater Biology: Autocrine and Paracrine Effects of Fibroblast Growth Factor-2. Plast Reconstr Surg 2002 Feb;109(2):645-54
27. Spector JA, Willis D, Ginsburg, H: Pediatric Paraganglionoma (Pheochromocytoma) of the Posterior Mediastinum: A case report and Rview of the Literature: Journal of Pediatric Surg 2003; 38(7): 1114-6
28. Bouletreau PJ, Warren SM, Paccione MF, Spector JA, McCarthy JG, Longaker MT: Transport distraction osteogenesis: a new method to heal adult calvarial defects. Plast Reconstr Surg 2002 Mar;109(3):1074-84
29. Bouletreau PJ, Warren SM, Spector JA, Peled ZM, Gerrets RP, Greenwald JA, Longaker MT: Hypoxia and VEGF Up-Regulate BMP-2 mRNA and Protein Expression in Microvascular Endothelial Cells: Implications for Fracture Healing. Plast Reconstr Surg 2002 Jun;109(7):2384-97
30. Mehrara BJ, Spector JA, Greenwald JA, Ueno H, Longaker MT: Adenovirus-mediated transmission of a dominant negative transforming growth factor-beta receptor inhibits in vitro mouse cranial suture fusion. Plast Reconstr Surg 2002 Aug;110(2):506-14
31. Spector JA, Nacamuli R, et al: FGF-2 Acts Through an ERK1/2 Intracellular Pathway to Affect Osteoblast Differentiation: Implications for Cranial Suture Osteogenesis. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Plas Reconstr Surg 2005 Mar;115(3): 838-52
32. Spector JA, Culliford AT, Post NH, Weiner H, Levine JP: An Unusual Case of CSF Pseudocyst in a Previously Augmented Breast. Annals of Plastic Surgery 2005 Jan;54(1):85-87
33. Spector JA, Culliford AT, Kleinerman R, Karp, NS: The Vertical Reduction Mammoplasty: A Prospective Analysis of Patient Outcomes. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2006 Feb;117(2):374-81
34. Spector JA, Zide BM: CO2 Laser Ablation for Treatment of Lymphangioma of the Conjunctiva Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2006 Feb;117(2):609-12
35. Spector JA, Karp NS: A Primer on Breast Reduction Surgery. Contemporary Ob/Gyn 2005 Nov; 50(11):58-70
36. Kleinerman R, Karp NS, Spector JA: Counseling Patients on Breast Reconstruction Contemporary Ob/Gyn 2006 Mar; 51(3): 34-47
37. Spector JA, Draper LB, Levine JP, Ahn CY: Routine Use of Arterial Microcoupling in Breast Reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg 2006 Apr;56(4):365-8
38. Spector JA, Levine JP, Ahn CY: A Technique for Atraumatic Microvascular Arterial Coupling. Plast Reconstr Surg 2007 May; 119(6):1968-9
39. Culliford AT, Spector JA, Levine JP: A Novel Technique for Vacuum Assisted Closure Device Application in Noncontiguous Wounds. Journal of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery 2007 Jan; 60(1): 99-100
40. Spector JA, Levine S, Karp NS: Surgical Solutions to the Problem of Massive Weight Loss. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2006 Nov; 12(41): 6602-6607
41. Zide BM, Warren SM, Spector JA: Chin Surgery IV: Treatment of the Large Chin - Analytic Insights for Improving Outcomes. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2007 Aug;120(2):530-7
42. Warren SM, Spector JA, Zide BM: Chin Surgery V: The Long, Non-Projecting Chin - Contoured In Situ Jumping Genioplasty, Plast Reconstr Surg 2007 Sep;120(3):760-8
43. Spector JA, Warren SM, Zide BM: Chin Surgery VI: Treatment of an Unusual Deformity - The "Tethered" Microgenic Chin, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2007 Sep 15;120(4):1053-9
44. Spector JA, Karp NS: Reduction Mammoplasty: A Significant Improvement at Any Size. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2007 Sep 15;120(4):845-50
45. Culliford AT, Spector JA, Flores R, et al: Intraoperative Sensorcaine significantly improves post-operative pain management in ambulatory reduction mammoplasty, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2007 Sep 15;120(4):840-4
46. Spector JA, Levine S, Levine JP: Free Tissue Transfer to the Lower Extremity Distal to the Zone of Injury: Indications and Outcomes, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2007 Sep 15;120(4):952-9
47. Spector JA, Draper LB, Aston SJ: Lower Lid Deformity Secondary to Autogenous Fat Transfer. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2008 May;32(3):411-4
48. Spector JA and Glat PM: Hair Bearing Scalp Reconstruction Using a Dermal Regeneration Template and Micrograft Hair Transplantation. Annals of Plastic Surgery 2007 July ; 59(1):63-66
49. Culliford AC, Spector JA, Karp NS et al: The Fate of Lower Extremities with Failed Free Flaps: A Single Institution's Experience Over Twenty Five Years. Ann Plast Surg 2007 Jul; 59(1):18-22
50. Spector JA, Warren SM, Singh S, McCarthy JG, Siebert JW: Marriage of Hard and Soft Tissues of the face Revisited. Ann Plast Surg 2007 Jul; 59(1):1-5
51. Warren SM, Spector JA, Zide BM: Chin Surgery VII: The Textured Secured Implant- A Recipe for Success, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2007 Oct;120(5):1378-85
52. Spector JA, Culliford AT, Post NH, Weiner H, Levine JP: Regarding "Breast Cerebrospinal Fluid Pseudocyst". Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2007 Jul; 120(1): 357-8
53. Spector JA, Singh SP, Karp NS. Outcomes After Breast Reduction: Does Size Really Matter? Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2008. Ann Plast Surg. 2008 May;60(5):505-9.
54. Spector JA, Blei F, Zide BM: Early Surgical Intervention for Proliferating Hemangiomas of the Scalp: Indications and Outcomes. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2008 Aug;122(2): 457-62
55. Cross KJ, Bomsztyk ED, Weinstein AL, Spector JA, Lyden DC. A Novel Method for Targeted Gene Therapy in Ischemic Tissues through Viral Transfection of an Expression Cassette Containing Multiple Repeats of a Hypoxia Response Element. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2009 Feb;123(2S): 76S-82S
56. Reiffel AJ, Spector JA, Karwowski JK. Pyoderma Gangrenosum After Lower Extremity Bypass: A Case Report. Ann Vasc Surg Nov-Dec;23(6):785.e9-11
57. Chandler E, Chen CM, Spector JA. Bilateral Fibrolipoma of the Median Nerve. Journal of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery 2008 Nov 25
58. Kamdar M, Rohde CH, Spector JA. Lateral Circumflex Femoral Artery: Not Always Atherosclerosis-Resistant. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2008 Nov;122(5):1597-8
59. Gene Therapy In Skin: Choosing the Optimal Viral Vector. Teo EH, Cross KJ, Bomsztyk ED, Lyden DC, Spector JA. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2009 May;62(5):576-80
60. Sailon AM, Reformat DD, Hecht EM, Garfein ES, Spector JA, Levine JP, Saadeh PB. The proximally based peroneal vascular bundle: an insulated extension cord for free flap reconstruction. Annals of Plast Surg 2009 May;62(5):556-9
61. Bellan LM, Singh SP, Henderson PW, Porri TJ, Craighead HG, Spector JA. Fabrication of an artificial 3-dimensional vascular network using sacrificial sugar structures. Soft Matter 2009, 5: 1354-57
62. Henderson PW, Singh SP, Belkin D, Nagineni V, Weinstein AL, Weissich J, Spector JA. Hydrogen Sulfide Protects Against Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in an In vitro Model of Cutaneous Tissue Transplantation. Journal of Surgical Research 2010 Mar;159(1):451-5
63. Henderson PW, Kadouch DJM, Singh SP, Zawaneh PN, Weiser J, Yazdi S, Weinstein AL, Krotscheck U, Putnam DA, Spector JA. A Rapidly Resorbable Hemostatic Biomaterial Based on Dihydroxyacetone. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A 2010 May;93(2):776-82
64. Chao J, Cohen B, Rohde CH, Kutler DI, Spector JA. Free Fibula Flap Reconstruction of the Mandible in a Patient with Fanconi Anemia. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2010 Feb;125(2):61e-3e
65. Goldstein LJ, Ayers JD, Hollenbeck S, Spector JA, Vouyouka AG. Successful revascularization for delayed presentation of radiation induced distal upper extremity ischemia. Ann Vasc Surg Feb;24(2):257.e5-8
66. Hidalgo DA, Spector JA Preoperative Sizing in Breast Augmentation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2010 Jun;125(6):1781-7
67. Reiffel AJ, Spector JA Perioperative Antibiotics In the Setting of Free Tissue Transfer: Defining a Standard of Care. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 2010 Aug;26(6):401-7
68. Henderson PW, Lewis GK, Shaikh N, Sohn A, Olbricht WL, Spector JA A Portable High Intensity Focused Ultrasound Device for the Non-Invasive Treatment of Varicose Veins. Journal of Vascular Surgery. J Vasc Surg 2010 Mar 51(3):707-11
69. Cohen B, Vendemia N, Spector JA, and Rohde C. IMA Perforators for the Salvage of a Superficially-dominant Free Flap Breast Reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2010 Jun;125(6):254e-5e
70. Zawaneh PN, Singh SP, Padera Jr. R, Spector JA, Putnam DA. Design of an injectable synthetic and biodegradable surgical biomaterial. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Jun 15;107(24):11014-9
71. Henderson PW, Weinstein AL, Sung J, Singh SP, Nagineni V, Spector JA Hydrogen Sulfide Attenuates Intestinal Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury In Vitro and In Vivo. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Jun;125(6):1670-8
72. Henderson PW, Singh SP, Spector JA. Chest Wall Spindle Cell Fibromatosis after Breast Augmentation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2010 Aug;126(2):94e-5e
73. Henderson PW, Weinstein AL, Sohn AM, Jimenez N, Krijgh DD, Spector JA Hydrogen Sulfide Attenuates Intestinal Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury when Delivered in Post-Ischemic Period. Journal of Gastroeneterology and Hepatology 2010 Oct;25(10):1642-7
74. Henderson PW, Nagineni VV, Harper A, Sohn AM, Krijgh DD, Jimenez N,
Weinstein AL, Spector JA. Creation of an Acellular Bioengineered Matrix with a Dominant Vascular Pedicle. Journal of Surgical Research 2010 Nov;164(1):1-5
75. Henderson PW, Singh SP, Weinstein AL, Nagineni V, Rafii DC, Kadouch D, Spector JA Therapeutic Metabolic Inhibition: Hydrogen Sulfide Significantly Mitigates Muscle Ischemia Reperfusion Injury In vitro and In vivo. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2010 Dec;126(6):1890-8
76. Hidalgo DA, Spector JA Reply: Bra stuffing for Implant Sizing? Satisfaction? Who, When and Compared to What? Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Feb;127(2):1002-3
77. Hidalgo DA, Spector JA Reply: Where are the Data? Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Feb;127(2):1004-5
78. PW Henderson, N Jimenez, J Ruffino, AM Sohn, AL Weinstein, DD Krijgh, Spector JA. Therapeutic Delivery of Hydrogen Sulfide for Salvage of the Ischemic Lower Extremity after the Onset of Critical Ischemia. Journal of Vascular Surgery 2011 Mar;53(3):785-91
79. Singh SP, Krijgh DD, Henderson PW, Yamamoto M, Rafii DC, Sung JJ, Rabbany SY, Spector JA. Stromal-derived factor-1 Delivered via Hydrogel Drug-Delivery Vehicle Accelerates Wound Healing in vivo. Wound Repair Regen. 2011 May;19(3):420-5.
80. Zheng Y, Henderson PW, Choi NW, Bonassar L, Spector JA, Stroock AD. Microstructured Templates for Directed Growth and Vascularization of Soft Tissue in vivo. Biomaterials. 2011 Aug;32(23):5391-401
81. Reiffel AJ, Kamdar MR, Kadouch DJ, Rohde CH, Spector JA. Response to "Perioperative Antibiotics in the Setting of Microvascular Free Tissue Transfer: Current Practices." J Reconstr Microsurg. 2010 Aug;26(6):401-7.
82. Kaplan KA, Reiffel AJ, Kutler DI, Rohde CH, Spector JA. Sequential Second Free Flap for Head and Neck Reconstruction in a Patient with Fanconi Anemia and Metachronous Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Jul;128(1):18e-9e.
83. Henderson PW, Reiffel AJ, Krijgh DD, Belkin D, Zheng Y, Bonassar LJ, Stroock AD, Spector JA. Optimizing tissue regeneration templates by analyzing cell migration and neovascularization in Integra® and Strattice® Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Jan;129(1):89-99
84. Reiffel AJ, Henderson PW, Karwowski JK, Spector JA. An Interdisciplinary Approach to the Prevention and Treatment of Groin Wound Infections after Lower Extremity Revascularization Ann Vasc Surg. 2012 Apr;26(3):365-72
85. Reiffel AJ, Rohde CH, Kutler DI, Spector JA. Sequential Second Free Fibula Flap for Reconstruction of Metachronous Osteoradionecrosis of the Mandible - Effective Treatment of a Formidable Problem. J Craniofac Surg. 2012 Mar;23(2):e90-1.
86. Servais EL, Stiles BM, Spector JA, Altorki NK, Port JL Gastropericardial fistula with pyopneumopericardium: a late complication of esophageal reconstruction utilizing a gastric conduit Ann Thorac Surg. 2012 May;93(5):1729-31.
87. Reiffel AJ, Jimenez N, Burrell WA, Millet YH, Dent BL, Pomp A, Dakin GF, Spector JA. Body Contouring After Bariatric Surgery: How Much is Really Being Done? Annals of Plastic Surgery In Press
88. Reiffel AJ, Pharmer LP, Weinstein AL, Spector JA A Prospective Analysis of the Association Between Indwelling Surgical Drains and Surgical Site Infection in Plastic Surgery. Annals of Plastic Surgery. In Press
89. Reiffel AJ, Sohn A, Henderson PW, Jimenez N, Parashar B, Spector JA Use of Integra and Interval Brachytherapy in a Two-staged Auricular Reconstruction following Excision of a Recurrent Keloid. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. In Press
90. Reiffel AJ, Barie PS, Spector JA. A Multi-Disciplinary Review of the Potential Association between Closed-Suction Drains and Surgical Site Infection. Surgical Infection. Accepted for publication
91. Ball C, Reiffel AJ, Chintalapani S, Kim M, Spector JA, King MR Hydrogen sulfide reduces neutrophil recruitment in ischemia-reperfusion injury in an L-selectin and ADAM-17 dependent manner. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Accepted for publication
92. Hidalgo, DA, Spector JA Breast Augmentation (CME). Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Accepted for publication
93. Reiffel AJ, Perez JL, Jimenez N, Spector JA Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Optimization of Vasculogenesis within Naturally Derived, Biodegradable Hybrid Hydrogel Scaffolds Accepted for publication
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards:
2013: World Technology Network Award in Health & Medicine, a prestigious award for his innovative research which was chosen as most likely to have long term significance
2011, 2012- Castle Connolly America's Best Doctors
2011, 2012- US News & World Report America's Best Doctors
2013- NY SuperDoctors
2009- Academic Scholar of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons
1999- Co-Author, Peter J. Gingrass, M.D.
Memorial Award, Plastic Surgery Research Council, Best Research Paper by a General Surgery Resident
1999- Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons Resident Competition,
Best Research Presentation
2000-Co-Author, Peter J. Gingrass, M.D.
Memorial Award, Plastic Surgery Research Council,Best Research Paper by a General Surgery Resident
2003- New York Regional Society of Plastic Surgeons,
Best Research Presentation
- Plastic Surgery
- Onco-Plastic Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Oncoplastic Breast Reduction
- Breast Reconstruction With Implants
- Neck Lift
- Head and Neck Reconstruction
- Orthoplastic Reconstruction
- Mastectomy Reconstruction
- Breast Reconstruction With Free Flap
- Breast Reconstruction With DIEP Free Flap
- Breast Reconstruction With SIEA Free Flap
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Reduction
- Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Reconstruction of Abdominal Wall
- Brow Lift
- Otoplasty For Prominent Ear Correction
- Juvederm Fillers
- Botulinum Toxin (Botox Injection)
- Breast Augmentation
- Body Contouring
- Plastic Surgery
- B.A., Cornell University, 1991
- M.D., New York University School of Medicine, 1996