Specialties and Expertise
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
- Catheter Ablation
- Implantable Defibrillators
- Supraventricular Tachycardia
- Ventricular Tachycardia
"I have been fortunate to have been trained and mentored by some of the country's finest physicians. It is a great honor for me to care for patients through the practice of electrophysiology. I am committed to clinical excellence, teaching and research for the betterment of my patients and the advancement of academic medicine."
James Ip, MD, FACC, FHRS was born and raised in New York City. After graduating summa cum laude from Columbia University, he attended Harvard Medical School. There, he received a Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellowship, which enabled him to pursue research in cardiovascular genetics and stem cell therapy. He completed his internal medicine residency at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and returned to New York for his cardiovascular disease and cardiac electrophysiology fellowships at Cornell University Medical Center.
As an associate professor and the director of cardiac pacing and implantable devices at Cornell, Dr. Ip has performed thousands of procedures, including catheter ablations of arrhythmias and implantation of cardiac devices (such as pacemakers, defibrillators and biventricular devices for cardiac resynchronization therapy). He is one of the leading implanters in New York of the recently developed subcutaneous implantable cardioverter defibrillators (S-ICD) as well as leadless cardiac pacemakers.
With over sixty peer-reviewed journal publications and book chapters, Dr. Ip has authored many articles in the field of cardiac electrophysiology involving cardiac implantable device diagnostics, catheter ablation techniques and mechanisms of arrhythmias. He is the principal investigator at Cornell for several multicenter trials that are evaluating novel cardiac implantable device and drug therapies. These trials include the first leadless cardiac pacemaker system (Leadless II study, N Engl J Med. 2015;373:1125-35), the WiSE (Wireless Stimulation Endocardially) cardiac resynchronization therapy technology (SOLVE CRT trial, ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT02922036), and an intranasally delivered medication to terminate supraventricular tachycardia (NODE-301 trial, ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT03464019). He is also starting to implant the recently FDA approved remedē system that safely and effectively treats moderate to severe central sleep apnea (CSA) in adult patients.
Dr. Ip maintains an active research focus on arrhythmia mechanisms, including the development of an animal model of ventricular tachycardia to elucidate the basic understanding of this type of condition as well as determining the electrophysiological mechanism of premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) in humans (ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT03218137).
He was a recipient of the 2015 Weill Cornell Medical College Department of Medicine Investigator Award, which is given to faculty who perform on outstanding levels in the areas of biomedical research. He serves on the editorial boards of several electrophysiology journals and has been recognized among Castle Connolly “Top Doctors” in Cardiac Electrophysiology since 2016.
Dr. Ip teaches medical students, residents and fellows at Cornell.
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Associate Professor of Medicine in Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 2004
- B.A., Columbia University, 1999
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY