James Ip, M.D.
520 East 70th Street, Starr Pavilion, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10065
P: (212) 746-2655 | F: (212) 746-6951
"I have been fortunate to have been trained and mentored by some of the country's finest physicians. It is a great honor for me to care for patients through the practice of electrophysiology. I am committed to clinical excellence, teaching and research for the betterment of my patients and the advancement of academic medicine."
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
- Catheter Ablation
- Implantable Defibrillators
- Supraventricular Tachycardia
- Ventricular Tachycardia
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- B.A., Columbia University, 1999
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 2004
Bruce B. Lerman Clinical Scholar
Weill Cornell Medical College
Assistant Attending Physician
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
James Ip, MD, FACC, FHRS was born and raised in New York City. After graduating summa cum laude from Columbia University, he attended Harvard Medical School. There, he received a Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellowship, which enabled him to pursue research in cardiovascular genetics and stem cell therapy. He completed his internal medicine residency at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and returned to New York for his cardiovascular disease and cardiac electrophysiology fellowships at Cornell University Medical Center.
While at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Ip has performed thousands of procedures, including catheter ablations of arrhythmias and implantation of cardiac devices (such as pacemakers, defibrillators and biventricular devices), including the recently developed subcutaneous defibrillator.
With over thirty peer-reviewed journal publications, Dr. Ip has authored numerous articles in the field of cardiac electrophysiology involving cardiac implantable device diagnostics, catheter ablation techniques and mechanisms of arrhythmias. He is the principal investigator at Cornell for the multicenter trial to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of the first leadless cardiac pacemaker system. Dr. Ip also maintains an active research focus on arrhythmia mechanisms, including the development of an animal model of ventricular tachycardia to elucidate the basic understanding of this type of condition. He was a recipient of the 2015 Weill Cornell Medical College Department of Medicine Investigator Award, which is given to faculty who perform on outstanding levels in the areas of biomedical research.
Dr. Ip teaches medical students, residents and fellows at Cornell.