525 East 68th Street, M-404
New York, NY 10065
2625 East 14th Street, Suite 201
Brooklyn, NY 11235
170 William Street
New York, NY 10038
Interventional Pulmonology is a relatively new subspecialty within Pulmonary Medicine that uses advanced procedures to diagnosis and treat patients with various lung diseases. It is a minimally invasive approach that replaces many procedures that previously required surgery.
Endoscopic procedures offered at Weill Cornell Medicine
An endoscope is a small, flexible tube with a camera and light attached to it. This tube can be passed through a patient’s airways in order to view the different sections of the chest cavity and lungs. Much of interventional pulmonology is endoscopic.
Small tools can also be utilized through the endoscope to perform minor procedures such as a biopsy or bronchial stent (opening an airway tube), and some larger procedures such as locating and treating certain tumors.
Weill Cornell offers the latest technological approaches in interventional pulmonology:
• Navigational bronchoscopy is used to locate, biopsy, and possibly treat some hard-to-reach lung tumors. This procedure combines electromagnetic navigational techniques with 3D computed tomography images to guide the endoscope more accurately than a traditional endoscope.
• Endobronchial ultrasound is used to more precisely identify and biopsy central lymph nodes in the chest to examine them for cancer cells.
Both of these procedures spare patients from more invasive approaches, and they can be done on an outpatient basis.
Why choose Weill Cornell Medicine?
Our patients benefit from:
• Physicians with specialized training in diagnosing, treating, and managing typical pulmonary conditions—as well as highly complex and rare disorders
• Diagnostic and therapeutic therapies at the forefront of today’s medical knowledge
• Our excellent network of medical professionals – including oncologists, thoracic surgeons, and pathologists – working with our interventional pulmonologists to ensure patients receive truly comprehensive care
• Treatments tailored specifically to our individual patients