Hai Hiep Hoang, M.D.
Within one’s self, there exists this remarkable tension between your brain’s want and the body’s will. At any moment, the body can rebel in a way that is completely out of your control. This dichotomy is why I love neurology. If we take a step back and appreciate how many things must be perfectly in-sync for us to think, to move, and even to read this sentence; we would never take these abilities for granted.
I am passionate about CNS inflammatory disorders and the overlap between neuroinfectious and neuroimmunologic diseases. These conditions are rare in the realm of neurology but play a significant role in the accepted paradigm that many of the body's ailments are caused by immune dysregulation. Furthermore, we are still trying to understand the sequelae from such disorders. Are they acute exacerbations that remit, or a chronic progressive diseases? These are questions in which I intend to explore.
I am equally passionate about neurology education and the role physicians play in the dissemination of medical information. When a patient presents for a twitch or a tingle, communicating thoughts in a cogent actionable manner is equally vital as obtaining the diagnosis. With my colleagues at Weill Cornell, I strive to develop simple neurology resources for physicians, patients, and all.
Specialties and Expertise
- Infectious Disease
- Allergy and Immunology
- Central Nervous System Infection
- Autoimmune Disease
- Migraine Headache
- Botulinum Toxin (Botox Injection)
Dr. Hai “Ethan” Hoang is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Neurology and Assistant Attending Neurologist at Weill Cornell Medical College/New York Presbyterian Hospital, specializing in neuroinfectious and neuroimmunologic diseases.
Dr. Hoang earned his B.S. from University of Texas at Austin with a concentration in Human Biology, and his M.D. from Texas A&M College of Medicine. He completed his internship at Baylor College of Medicine and subsequent adult neurology residency at the prestigious Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis where he served as chief resident during his final year. He then completed a neuroinfectious and neuroimmunology fellowship at the Icahn School of Medicine at The Mount Sinai Hospital. He is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and is a member of the New York Encephalitis Consortium and American Academy of Neurology where he has published a number of articles in peer-reviewed journals.
Dr. Hoang integrates his diverse regional experiences from around the country and offers a unique perspective in diagnosing and managing neuro-infectious and -immunologic diseases including encephalitis and meningitis caused by herpes, HIV, COVID, NMDA, and other rare diseases. He also sees patients who have had complications including headaches, seizures, neuropathy, and cognitive concerns from the above diseases. He has additional expertise in headache medicine and botulinum toxin for chronic migraines.
Dr. Hoang’s other interest includes neurology education. He is a proponent for developing accessible avenues that translate the complex nervous system in a simple, individualized manner; for all to comprehend.
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Neurologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Neurology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Texas A&M University Medical School, 2015
- B.S., University of Texas, 2010
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported